1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Deadline Day!!

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by The Gills PegLeg, Jan 31, 2019.

1. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well what a Deadline Day this has been so far.

First we sign Ireland International striker Graham Burke on loan from Preston until end of the season to replace Wilkinson.

Then we follow it up with an absolute quality signing...

Ricky Holmes has joined on loan until the end of the season from Sheffield United. Absolutely delighted with this one. Tore us apart a couple of years ago for Charlton and then Northampton before that. Does join not fully fit which may take up to a month to resolve, but once he's fighting fit we've got a Championship quality winger there.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Was at Oxford on a season long loan but went back to Sheffield this month due to back injury, and we strangely seem to have gone straight in for him. Aside, I looked at his goal scoring ability, seems good on right and left foot, but spotted this as one of the best...

I also noted from a longer version tally of his goals, he seemed to take the penalties during his time at Northampton.

3. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Signed 3 others as well. King ,Camball and Lopes

4. brb

brb CR250

Now we're talking....

Looks like this lad has some pace that will fit in nicely with the team.

5. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Deadline day is the day you discover that everyone else thinks your players are as crap as you do. Deadline day is the day that teams sift through the pile of others cast offs and hope to find a jewel somewhere. It's like trying to find a diamond in the dogshit bin in the park. Deadline day opens with all the hope in the world and dies in despair.

I like to think I'm not just a miserable old bastard but a realistic one....................you decide.

alwaysright likes this.
  6. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Yep Tahvon Campbell also signed on loan from Forest Green Rovers who looks like a fast striker that can also play on the wing and as @brb already mention, Leo Da Silva Lopes joined on loan from Wigan. Apparently very highly rated and joined them in the summer from the Posh.

Strangest one for me last night was Josh Parker signing for Charlton. I mean they're meant to be chasing promotion. <laugh>

brb likes this.
  7. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well Mr. Meldrew, with a bit more practise, you'll be as cynical as me.

sensiblegreeny and brb like this.
  8. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Yep....a bit surprised that Parker has gone to Charlton.
    He was pretty useful last season but has lost his way this one. Perhaps Charlton see something that we can't.....

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

brb likes this.
  10. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

On balance I think this has potentially been one of the most encouraging mid season transfer windows. As far as the 'outs' are concerned I think Parker had lost his way a bit and hopefully a change of scenery might get him his mojo back. Also seen that Nasseri's contract has been terminated "by mutual consent due to personal reasons". Whatever those reasons are I wish him well for the future and hope he can find a club soon as a free agent.

On the incomings, well, no defenders but hopefully a few to shake up the midfield and get a few more goals. Of the 5 it looks like Burke is the most likely to be an automatic starter at first. Historically I think that loan signings are more likely to work hardest as they're looking for a longer term deal in many cases, if not at the club they're on loan to then at other clubs, so hopefully we've now got enough firepower to keep us up.

The Gills PegLeg likes this.

11. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Mmmmmmm so where were the 'new' players yesterday against Barnsley?

12. alwaysright

they weren't in midfield .......... have I mentioned that we didn't have a midfield yesterday ?