1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Deadline Day

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Sapphire, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I believe I am right in saying that the signing of new players must be registered by Thursday at 17;00.
    Everyone, including me, will be disappointed that we still haven't managed to sign a proper number nine before we play our first fixture at Peterbro. But I would prefer that we sign a player capable of putting himself about and knocking the ball down for his smaller colleagues (and we seem to have plenty of them).
    Perhaps the lad who gets all the flack may come into his own with a bit of decent service. His confidence could do with a lift after all the negative comments he must read on these boards!!
    We have two wingmen with as much ability as could be expected and there is no nut to aim the ball at in the box!!
    Let's hope DC takes all the time he needs, and will be allowed, to get the right player for our team's fit!

2. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Reading the WDP he hopes to sign a no.9 early next week, a slight hitch in the proceedings fee and suchlike have been agreed as I read it. I would like to see Tom Nichols get a couple of deflections of his , his rear, his shoulder or where ever and that could end up in the net which would give his confidence a massive boost which would be good for him and massive for the Rovers

3. Sapphire

It would be great both for him and us if he were to be come part of a partnership emulating 'Smash and Grab'

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Bakayoko from Walsall?

5. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Sounds like 1 proper signing and hopefully 1 on loan as the loan window shuts end of August. Just wished we were prepared for the 1st game and not hanging on until the end for loans.

6. Sapphire

It's possible/probable that players wait to the last moment before making a life changing decision as we seem to be in a seller's marketplace

7. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

That's one argument but some clubs seem do to their business early. We should give the player a deadline and then crack on with the next target if they player cannot commit to us.

8. Sapphire

Again. A fair point. But with our apparently poor financial deliverance, I think DC is strapped. He has to find what he needs at a price he can deliver. Often he will have to make decisions after the moneyed folk have taken their pick. Bear in mind DC always seems to collect guys who fit in with the personality of the existing squad. Think back to the troublemakers he inherited when he took over and observe the good atmosphere which exists around his current squad.

old timer likes this.
  9. Sapphire

At last a 'nutter' has arrived. All 6 feet four of him. DC comes good again. Two first class wingmen and a giraffe in the opponent's box. Welcome to our club mate!!

10. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

Could be as simple has having the right people doing the recruitment and getting things sorted out quickly and efficiently. There is a bit of an art to getting this sort of thing right and a lot can go wrong.

11. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I thought the reason why we got in a head of recruitment was be more prepared and take the stress of DC who can concentrate on getting the team prepared. From what I have seen/heard so far, this head of recruitment as caused nothing but stress for DC who has to prepare without enough strike power!

Usually we sign players and its all hush hush who it is. But over the weekend it was announced who it was publicly and then we lose out on him as Coventry then made a late bid! Its funny how we sign from Coventry their head of recruitment then we try and sign a Walsall striker and then Coventry go for our target. Its like they are benefiting from our head of recruitment services without actually having to pay for him.

12. old timer

CJS what are you implying, quite agree with you though, there has been more said about transfers in and out of the club since DC has been in charge

13. old timer

When we were reportedly interested in signing Lyle Taylor didn't Coventry suddenly get interested

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  14. years ago

years ago Active Member

Dont let the Bristol Post know what our plans are,It is part pf a group(daily mirror) which are interconnected all over the country with the local towns newspapers
    So what we know they all know

15. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

DC likes to keep everything close to his chest. We never know contract lengths anymore. We never know injury info and how likely they are out for. We are never told of transfer targets as DC dont like to talk about players that are not his.

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

The fans are just fodder in their eyes, there to just put their money through the turnstiles { or not as the case now seems to be !! } I have always found this cloak and dagger stuff a little depressing if I was to be honest and especially when you consider the level at which this football club plies it's trade.

17. Sapphire

18. Sapphire

We eventually found our two strikers to meet the deadline.
    I am even more convinced that DC wanted to take a punt on Akaboko. His physique ticks so many boxes for his presence in both penalty areas. DC could obviously see a development plan with such a young player. But we will never know what might have been!

19. old timer

Maybe he will give more game time to our Watford loanee and make a serious bid if he gets goals for us at the end of the season