1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Darlow

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by GeordieHalfbreed, Dec 15, 2016.

1. GeordieHalfbreed

GeordieHalfbreed Well-Known Member

Watching the game last night I was struck by how a lot of our attacking threat came from good distribution from Darlow - including both our goals. While his ability as a keeper wasn't tested that much over the course of the game, he kept his concentration at least. Do people think he can hack it in a bigger league, or do we need Krul or Elliot to come back stronger?

2. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

It's refreshing to see one of our goalies accurately distribute the ball. Krul has been beyond woeful at that for years.
    IMHO I'd sell Krul and Sels.... leaving Elliot and Darlow to fight it out for first choice. Not sure if Woodman is ready to back them up though but sometimes you gotta give youth a chance.
    Darlow is a very acrobatic and agile keeper too, which I like to see.

3. trentderby

trentderby Active Member

He prevented wigan from winning when they tried to win, and helped us win the game. That makes him safe for us. But dangerous for them.

4. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

Thought Darlow has looked very good this year and he didn't do to badly at the tail end of last season either in the Premiership, has the potential if he works hard to make it in the EPL. It will be interesting to see what happens next year with all our keepers back and fit.

Sels needs more time for me but is not at the required standard as yet and I'd probably sell!
    Krul if fit is probably our number one but can he stay fit and what is he like after a year out?
    Elliott has been a beast since stepping in over the last two years so I'd retain him!
    Darlow has the potential but if we keep the other three senior keepers would we loan him out?
    Woodman is talked about highly but don't know tbh needs game time on loan in January.

I think if we HAD to sell two of them it'd be Krul and Sels at the moment though.

5. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

IMO Krul is a good Premiership keeper. If he's over his injury, then he has to fight with Darlow for the place as first choice stopper.
    Sels isn't good enough IMO and I've not thought Elliot is really Premiership standard. Maybe I'm being hard on him.

I'd keep Darlow and Krul.

6. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I'd buy a keeper at the end of the season but I think Elliot and Darlow can do a job. Krul's distribution makes him a no go for me. It was killing us.

7. Heed

Heed well known cheat

Darlow has done well, but, I can see Rafa going for an experienced keeper next season, with good distribution skills.

8. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

What else can you see? Do you have a crystal ball? Are you the old lady in the tent at the Hoppings?

:emoticon-0142-happy

9. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

I think Darlow's got an clanger or two in him. He doesn't seem super confident on crosses. I would say Elliott is still the number one keeper but he's still got to prove he can replicate the good form of last season in the longer term because he looked decidedly average before that.

10. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I can see many things, some more far fetched than others.
    The most ridiculous one being, Obi Winning A Headline Competition.

JakartaToon likes this.

11. Prince Isak (GG)

Prince Isak (GG) Well-Known Member

Darlow is a future englnd goalkeeper. He has all the right attributes to be a top keeper and hopefully it is with us. He has a few things to learn yes but I honestly think he has the right mentality. Take the Forrest game for example. He was fired up but still had composure to save two penalties and he was unlucky not to save the second goal.