1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Danny Rose appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Morning all!

Just thought I'd show a bit of appreciation to our longest serving player at the club - Mr Danny Rose.

He's made some really good comments lately, one of them about Pochettino and how he and many players see him as a father figure at the club. He also wholly credits him for his recent upturn in form since the gaffer's arrival, which has seen him go from a guy I - and I know many others - would've happily seen leave the club due to being shockingly bad with a seemingly poor attitude to becoming our most consistent and committed performer over the past two seasons and one of our best players while also being a candidate for captaincy. He's also rightly cemented his status as first choice for his country too, I don't think there's been a better LB in the league over the past two seasons and he's started this season in similar form, keeping the very good Ben Davies on the bench again (who also deserves huge credit for his performances and helping push Danny to a new level).

His other comments were in regards to finishing his career with the club, in a time where loyalty is at it's lowest, there's nothing better than hearing a long serving key player wanting to commit their future to the club. For those that may not have seen them, here are his comments from the OS on finishing his career with us and trying to follow in similar footsteps of Ledley:

Danny Rose would love to follow in the footsteps of Ledley King – and spend the rest of his career at Spurs.

Legendary former defender Ledley came through the Academy system to captain the Club in the Champions League, lift the League Cup at Wembley and play for England.

Making his debut in 1999, he played 323 times in all competitions before chronic knee problems forced him to retire in 2012. He’s now popular as ever in his role as Club Ambassador.

Arriving at Spurs aged 16 from Leeds, Danny was at the Club with Ledley for five years.

He’s now our longest-serving player and into his 10th season here with 126 appearances under his belt and a ninth goal recently in the bag – the equaliser against Liverpool last time out in the Premier League.

“I’m 26 now and starting to think about if I want to finish my career here and I’d love to do that,” he said. “There won’t be many players able to say that they’ve been at a club for X amount of years.

“Ledley is a legend. When you see him with the players, some will ask ‘what was he like?’ and there really are no words to describe how Ledley was as a player and as a man.

“He was quiet, but a leader. I saw the pain he had to go through to be out there on a Saturday. You wouldn’t believe he’d missed most of the training sessions throughout the week and yet he’d be the best player on the pitch.

“I’d love to be able to look back at the end of my career and think I’d been at a club for the whole of my career. That’s the plan.

“You don’t know what will happen in football but that’s the plan, I want to be here for a long, long time and I hope while I’m here I get to win trophies as well.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos to you, Danny. Here's hoping for more years of brilliant, committed performances and hopefully some trophies to go along with them, plus a testimonial soon too! <ok>

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Always wanted him to succeed at Spurs after scoring THAT goal in 2010.
    Was in Park Lane directly in line with his shot ... was a truely great goal to witness live and was such a great night.
    Must be a very tenacious man as his loans and times on the bench seem to have fed his desire to make it as 1st choice.
    Really enjoy seeing him play...more than I enjoyed BAE . A really good entertaining footballer imo.

3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Ha, you were probably near me that game then mate! Up until last season where I got my season ticket in block 33, I used to sit in 35 and was also pretty much in line with his shot, I was right next to that lot as well so the celebrations was one of the sweetest I've ever been part of.

Completely agree though, I've always been a fan of the good defensive players at Spurs over the recent years (Ledley, Daws, Woody, Benny, Parker and now Rose, Dier and Toby), they entertain me as much as a Modric/ Bale/ van der Vaart etc did. I said at the end of last season that if Danny can replicate his form again this year, I'd say it'll definitely certify him as the better LB over Benny and so far he's started the campaign as though that will indeed be the case.

4. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Was a fantastic place to watch the match...apart from a great view of the goal and the goons fans weeping we got to see those 3 outstanding Gomes saves late on too.
    The save of the Campbell header onto the bar was world class.
    Anyway back to Danny...he has carried on last seasons form which is no small feat...here's to Kane doing the same!

Dier Hard likes this.
  5. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I've always thought Danny got the ****ty end of the stick compared to Kyle Walker. Kyle's had Aaron Lennon and Erik Lamela playing ahead of him. Both of those players put in a significant shift when defending. Danny's had Nacer Chadli and Christian Eriksen for most of his time in the first team. Neither are in the same league as defenders. Also, he also had a sulking Jan Vertonghen alongside him, who was himself trying (maybe?) to cover for the failings of Fazio/Kaboul/Chiriches for his early games and no real defensive cover from midfield.

No doubt that he's now an important part of our future and given that he's been linked with Chelsea and Citeh, where he'd earn significantly more than he will with us, his loyalty is fabulous. He's a top guy to have around and one of the first names on the team sheet, I'd have thought.

6. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I think realistically Chelsea have no chance of signing Danny. Not only are they a hated rival but I'm sure Levy wouldn't sell a key player to a domestic club unless the bid was astronomical, we sold Modric to Real for less than what Chelsea offered. City probably are the only side who perhaps could attract him but it'd need to be a huge offer for us (and him) for it to ever happen.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think it's unfair to say that Walker had it easier. Walker's big disadvantage is that everytime he got injured he was rushed back in, causing injuries and poor form until he broke down again.

The biggest thing to happen for those 2 was the arrival of Trippier and Davies. They've taken the pressure off them, when either one has a knock they're taken straight out of the side until they're fully fit and the rotation last season spared them a lot of extra minutes. It's World's apart from when we had Naughton and Vertonghen as our backup fullbacks.

If we've got our transfer business right this summer then we should see more of that across the rest of the pitch. We have what looks like proper backup for Kane, Dier, Dembele and new options in the attacking 3 with Nkoudou's pace, Kane freed up to drop back and Sissoko also able to play on the right, whilst Dier can also go back to centreback when Toby's out or needs a break. Then on top of that we've got another wave of young players who will hopefully also be able to make the step up. No wonder Rose wants to stay, it's looking very promising for us.

I am glad Rose has shaken off the idea that he didn't care. I always found it a bit ridiculous, those defenders were in a demoralising position under AVB and Sherwood, the best defenders in the World would have struggled with what those players were asked to do, particularly under Sherwood.

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

That's another potential advantage of bringing in N'Koudou, as he's known for mucking in with the defensive duties - meaning that Rose/Davies will have some backup for a change.

9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

:emoticon-0106-cryin Why would you bring these points up! I'd only just recently gotten over those nightmares. Gonna have to re-enter therapy now <laugh>

10. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Great thread.

What a player. Love watching him burn some grass.

He has that Spirit in him which every fan loves.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It looks like we're not far off of a squad that Poch feels is perfect for his system. All players here now have either progressed as a player under his guidance or is someone he's had a say in bringing in. Rose is definitely one of those that's benefited from his philosophy & style and if Nkoudou can ease any of that pressure on him from a defensive perspective then we could see Danny go to another level.

12. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rose does a very difficult job and he's steadily improved down the years.
    I hope that he can continue to get better and silence his critics.

I'm also happy with Ben Davies, who's pushed him to stay in top form or risk losing his place.
    He's come into the squad, dealt with the rotation without moaning and played a variety of roles for his national side.
    Starts for Wales, doesn't get into our side for every game, yet you never hear him whining about it to the press.

It's always good to have two players who can compete for a place in the side and I think we've done very well with this pair.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  13. Shark

Shark Active Member

He gets a lot of stick on other team's boards, usually when playing for England... Can't work out if they're dumb or jealous.

14. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Rose made a mistake in the Slovakia game when he let the ball bounce and got caught out.
    Stones made the same mistake twice and somehow escaped any criticism, despite it being one of his major flaws.
    Very odd, especially after Rose's excellent defensive header and lack of meaningful cover.

15. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Rose has quietly over the last few seasons become one of England's best LBs and arguably one of the best in the league. He still suffers from an occasional lack of concentration and he can be a bit of a fiery character (I do love to see that in a player though) but overall he's a very balanced FB who, like Walker, is very underrated in his defensive work alongside the pace and attacking play both offer and are probably more known for.

Honestly I don't know why everyone thinks Shaw is nailed on to be England's LB for the next 10 years, when Danny will surely be in his way at this rate for at least another 5. He's probably one of those players who you only truly appreciate when you watch him week after week.

Agree with others that the current competition we have in the squad has done both our starting FBs wonders, and with Danny I'd be delighted for him to maintain the level of performance (or even improve further which isn't out of the question!) and retire at the club. And it's lovely to see a player express that desire to do so.

Dier Hard likes this.
  16. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

You can't criticise John Stones as he's the second coming of Bobby Moore (or some similar bullshit)

It's like the game against France at Euro 2000: Alan Green spent the entire first half running through countless variations on "Ledley King is **** and shouldn't be playing" - although he changed his tune for the second half, almost as if somebody passed him a note telling him to shut the **** up and actually commentate on the game instead of push the agenda that only Man Utd and Liverpool players should play for England.

Dier Hard, Shark and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  17. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

I think it is high time for my description to be changed to '(Danny) Rosebud'. Whaddya say @PleaseNotPoll ? :emoticon-0131-angel

18. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

WE sent a boy to Sunderland on loan and they sent us back a man. A Rose by any other name.

Dier Hard likes this.
  19. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

He's improved defensively. Great going forward but a weak link defensively (much like Evra), but he has cut out a lot of the defensive errors - many of which were positional.

Ditto Walker.

20. Shark

Shark Active Member

That is exactly right! I Remember listening to Green commentating on a Liverpool game years ago, and he spent the whole ****ing game talking about how Carragher should be playing for England rather than King... That's Jamie Carragher (OG)

The Changing Man likes this.