1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Damien Reeve - possible target?

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by BSG, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Cheers brb- glad to be of assistance! He looks like a player who would fit in well in our squad with Kedwell and Birchall! I hope he gets in a striker with plenty of league experience too! Going to need 4 strikers I think this season!

2. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Good to see that the guys on gills connect posted that Damian Reeves was playing for Gillingham on Saturday half an hour after I posted the same link! As with everything they are always second or third to post the important stuff! Sorry to go slightly off track!

3. GFCSTU

GFCSTU Member

4. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Yeah, we have already said that earlier in the thread!

5. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Looks like Ben Strevens is going to be that experienced player! Good signing!

6. Gills79

Gills79 Member

Just watched a youtube compilation of 15 goals from Damian Reeves - looked quite sharp. His penalty was a bit Kedwellish though.

7. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

damien reeves has resigned for altrincham fc after martin allen asked him to come back in two weeks for another trial and he wasn't willing to do it, so reeves called his club to say he would sign a new deal...saying it was the last straw !

strange one indeed :confused:

8. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well that's ridiculous - there's not enough time before the season to ask a player to come back in 2 weeks time - especially as there's 3 games available in that period.
    I would be interested in a comprehensive answer from Allen as to why ? - maybe there are other strikers in mind and Scally / Allen / Hess / tea lady didn't want to commit themselves without looking at other options.

9. brb

brb Guest

Interesting article certainly worth a read here. With just a few of the lines below that caught my attention.

http://www.altrinchamfc.co.uk/alty1.htm

'the goalposts kept moving, just as they did at Gillingham.'

‘To be honest, I think his plans had changed. He sold his keeper to a Premier League club and signed three new players on the Friday, and I can’t help thinking that had something to do with it.'

Edit: There is a clause in his contract that allows him to leave for free.

10. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb my post #88 was before I read your link - the lines you have picked out, to me, indicate that Gills have 'more experienced' options in mind - and were hoping to default to Reeves if they didn't come off.

11. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

I think it is a shame that he is not joining but we obviously don't want him that much otherwise we would have signed him up quickly like we have with Nelson and Strevens as they were on trial. Hopefully this means Martin has someone else in mind who may be even better.

12. brb

brb Guest

I agree with your original post but was being diplomatic in my choice of words.

13. brb

brb Guest

ps. I have just had a response from Damian Reeves...

brb_GFC ‏@brb_gfc
    @DamianReeves85 I have just heard the news & read the club article. Shame an agreement was not sorted for you, don't blame you though 2wks!!
    Expand
    Reply Delete Favorite
    13m Damian Reeves ‏@DamianReeves85
    @brb_gfc it was and it was a strange request really at this stage of pre season and I financially couldn't last any longer #broke

14. HOADIE_BOI

HOADIE_BOI Well-Known Member

So he was out of contract at Altrincham then. That now makes more sense as he like everyone else has bills to pay and you can't cope without the money coming in.

15. gills4everandaday

hope the reason we haven't signed reeves is because of ben may 28 y/o striker ex millwall & barnet, who played today in the tournament for a gills development XI against chatham (2-1 win) and the royal engineers (3-2 loss)...tournament which we lost on goal difference to chatham fc.

really hope ben may who played under MA at barnet last season, who also never got on the score sheet in these two matches today is not due to sign anytime soon <yikes>

16. jokeykid(606)

jokeykid(606) Member

&#8216;At one point, everyone in the country seemed to think I was signing for Doncaster, and I thought I was, as well. But the goalposts kept moving, just as they did at Gillingham, and the whole thing turned into a bit of a nightmare. I was supposed to be signing for Gillingham last week, then the manager decided he wanted to see me in match action, so I headed down there on Saturday, thinking it would all be completed after the game'

think this is the important part, said we were gonna sign him, then asked him to play before he signed and then said maybe we'll sign you come back later. tbh i think id have given up!! especially if he has bills to pay etc. hopefully allen will stick to his word tho and contact him in 2 weeks still if we still need him

17. gills4everandaday

even though damien reeves signed a new deal at altrincham fc and said he's not coming back in two weeks to the gills to try again, i don't know that it's dead in the water just yet. i just looked on his twitter account and some gills fan asked him...if gills were to get intouch again and sign you, would you turn them down. to which he replied he wouldn't turn down the opportunity to play league football with gillingham fc !

18. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

By all accounts from others who were at the game yesterday Reeves was puffing his cheeks out after 12 minutes, so obviously not fit enough! Im with Martin Allen on this one! No different with him not signing Michael Flynn! Trialist come and go, its all part of football!

19. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

From what I heard MadDog told him to go away and get himself fit over the next two weeks and we would have another look at him. I don't think that is an unreasonable demand but he does have bills to pay so I can understand his position too, Interesting to hear about Donny pulling out too, is there more to this than meets the eye?

20. brb

brb Guest

If he takes on board what Martin has said, you never know, he might be back in the next transfer window with better fitness and a few more pennies in his pocket to tied him over that period from his Altrincham wages.