1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Daily Thread for Friday the 23rd of May

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by redcgull, May 23, 2014.

1. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Wow, didn't think it would get to cowboy time before I had to put up the daily thread, but its not a problem...

Today's racing comes to us from Goodwood, Haydock, Mussleburgh, Pontefract, Towcester and Yarmouth. There is also a meeting on across the water in Cork...

Please put your thoughts, guesses, selections and any other tips and news on here for today's viewing...<cheers>

2. stick

stick Bumper King

MARMALAD 2:30 Haydock 8/1 may find Winslow a tough nut to crack but is very highly rated by his handler!

3. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Hughesie has a pretty good book of rides at Goodwood today, but anything he rides for the boss will be overbet. I prefer following the pair of em at Windsor and Salisbury myself. Parsley (2.20) would be a shoo in for most maidens granted the anticipated improvement following her 2nd at Nottingham on debut, but there's probably something lurking here that will make her price rank bad value, so I'll pass.

Barley Mow could get an easy lead in the Listed Cocked Hat Stakes at 4.00pm, and with the champ setting the fractions he could take some catching. Hopefully his recent Newmarket success heralds a return to the form that saw him run repectably in a Longchamp Gp1 as a 2yold. Stepping up slightly in trip on soft ground is bit of an unknown, although a step up to 1m2f last time seemed to bring about improvement. Also has 3lbs to give away. I've nearly talked myself out of it.
    John Gosden loves his American breds, and Princess Haya paid 300,000 yankee greenbacks for Marzocco as a yearling so connections will be hoping he can step up on his recent Epsom 2nd, but he'll need to. Roger Charlton's Observational may rate a bigger threat, though he will also have to step up on the form he's shown so far.

4. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Morning Nass, is Foxtrot worth an E/W punt under todays conditions?

Also Lightning Thunder very apt name with the weather we've been having over here on the Emerald Isle during the past week, cloudy with showers forecast for the next few days, will she handle conditions?

Good Luck <ok>

5. attivo

attivo Well-Known Member

Protected 8.10 Muss @ 3.55 Betfair

Backed at all rates from 11/4 down to 11/8 with our friendly Crookmakers :bandit: is avilable @ 5/2 on the exchanges, looks like a good value bet to me.

Good Luck!

6. SaveTheHumans

SaveTheHumans Well-Known Member

Is Feidir Leis (I can) 8/1 Cork 7:35 should be capable of picking a race of this sort up given he puts his best running in.

7. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Now then stick, we all know your tip top at tipping up horses, and we thank you for that, but what about the big tip for this weekend, your beloved QPR...???

What say you on them returning to the big time amongst the top flight teams once again... PadPow have you 21/10 compared to Derby's 7/5, but I think its a lot tighter than that... QPR to get promoted in ET is 10/1...!!! Now I find those odds a good bet...

I have no preference being a Liverpool fan, but I havn't been to Loftus Road ever before, so that would be nice to tick off the grounds visited list...

I find these play-off games absolutely superb to watch, but I bet its hell for the fans of the teams involved... I don't know of any Derby fans on here, sorry if you are and ive forgotten you, but good luck to both teams this weekend...<ok>

8. stick

stick Bumper King

I shall be hacking my way round a very nice course in Normandy and my other half is relieved as she thinks it will save me from a stress induced heart attack. This game is too close to call but I think McClaren can out manouvre that old git Redknapp so I think we are the underdogs.
    interestingly the two sides have agreed that the losing team will keep all the gate receipts which is extraordinary good sense. I do wonder who initiated that conversation though.....

9. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Afternoon all, Foxtrot Knight has strengthened up since debut but ground today is an unknown. Jolly will take all beating, but Cole horse is interesting.

Off to Goodwood now

10. stick

stick Bumper King

Best of luck NASS. All playing for places the way I see it.

11. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

4:35 Goodwood - Humidor 22/1

Also think Paul Hanagan could have a good day today riding over two meetings

12. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Afternoon, pilgrims. Old boy Nassau and dear old Henry Ponsonby both have runners at Gooders today then. I wonder what there discussions will be about in the old ‘Owners and Trainers’ Stand?!? Answers on a postcard please to the usual address.

One for me today. It’s from the county and what my regular readers have about my tips:

High Aspirations (7.50 Towcester) – races this evening off the low perch of just 85 and the 6YO has in the past shown indications that he can be ultra competitive off such a mark. A winner of an Irish point in early 2013, over 24 furlongs, when stepped up to 3 miles over rules in his past couple of runs High Aspirations has indicated he can, at the very least, take a race of this nature. He was beaten just 5 lengths back in March whilst last month was given far too much to do before staying on effectively in the closing stages. His claiming saddle money showed signs of inexperience of that occasion and that old boy is replaced this eve by the more competent Nicky Scholfield. Current quotes of 10/1 appear more than fair to the Chuckle eye.

Good luck, troops.

13. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good luck Nass.

14. heisenburg

heisenburg Well-Known Member

all the best mate

15. Onlyfoolsandhorses

Onlyfoolsandhorses Active Member

Certainly a day to be following the money -10 of 14 races so far have gone to the fav !

Now 16 of 22 ..as of 5.57pm

16. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

Afternoon all. Goodwood was wet and I think Foxtrot Knight didn't get home after starting well, he is clearly not at the level everyone thought he was. Hopefully he will be out in a couple of weeks and I am still hopeful that he is better than shown so far. He was fine after the race and we know Ollys horses haven't run well this year, especially the juveniles.