1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cup v Pompey

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Nov 7, 2020.

1. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I think it showed that Donacien, Kenlock, and Huws are just not good enough for even this lowly division, I eagerly waited for Huws to return after his long injury but I understand now why he's down the pecking order and that's disappointing, as I said before we could have won this tie if we had fielded a strong side like Portsmouth did and for a fan of the FA Cup like me that's even more disappointing.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Donacien was truly terrible, but he has never been given an opportunity and confidence must be so low. Instead of nurturing, Lambert discarded him but has also kept him at the club in limbo and it says more about Lambert and the club than it does Donacien.

The fact that we played so fantastically well for 30 minutes or so in the second half shows that this was not about ability in the playing staff but decision making and coaching. Portsmouth wanted it far, far more than Town.

3. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

You need a really good striker to play in that lone striker role, someone who is able to deal with high balls coming at him but someone also pretty mobile and I think Norwood is really the only striker we have who can do that but I still think he's better as a 2. No offence to Hawkins as he's done quite well today but part of the reason the first half was so dire was because Portsmouth sat back and Hawkins doesn't stretch the play, so there was a real lack of options for an out ball. There were far more openings with Norwood on the pitch.

Sometimes 451 or 433 does work but teams aren't going to play well all the time and in periods where you're not at your best there seems to be a real lack of chances, whereas with 2 uptop even if youre having a bad game there's more of an outfall and seemingly more chances. It also forces you to play forwards more often. I really would like to see a top 2 of Sears and Norwood, I think they're both very intelligent in their movement and it would open up alot of space for us

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.