1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Cup v Pompey

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Southcoastoldgaffer

Southcoastoldgaffer Well-Known Member

This is the first time I have watched Town 'live' for a long time, what a travesty of a game. What has happened to the Football Club I loved and began to watch with excitement since 1959? Packed crowds, knowing we would play our hearts out every match.

Nothing to excite me today.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

I think we are desperately missing pace and energy in attacking areas that someone like Edwards gives us. We could do with someone capable of running in behind and giving the defenders a bit of a fright. That’s never going to be Ollie Hawkins.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  3. Southcoastoldgaffer

Sure is, just what we need in Lockdown 2.

4. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

I said it last season and will say it again, our manager is ****....as is at least half our regular starting 11

5. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I don't think much of Norwood but at least he puts himself about, Donacien and Kenlock so poor, and I forgot Huws was even on the pitch, if this really is the best these players can offer then clear them out in January.

6. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

It's almost annoying we got that goal. Feeds a narrative that the goals were unlucky and our set up will work if we stay patient.

Don't expect anything to change during half time for that reason.

7. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Another stone wall pen for Town not given.

much better so far after the break.

8. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

....and the foul on McGuiness probably deserved a red card!

9. Bigalreigned

Cool finish from Norwood,when are we going to learn to play for the full 90 minutes?

Spanish likes this.
  10. fieldmarshall

I told you Norwood was useless.

11. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I've never been 100% convinced by playing a lone striker. Too much ponderous play and not enough of an outlet up top.

I like us playing good football but we also need to be more direct sometimes, get the ball forward quickly and then play the football

12. itfcptc

I'd really like to see Norwood and Sears play in a front 2 together

13. Bigalreigned

Third howler from the officials looks to have finished us.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We finished ourselves. Apart from a little spell at the beginning of the second half we were atrocious.

15. itfcptc

Bloody awful decisions against us at the moment

San Diego likes this.
  16. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

Well I watched the match in a funky hybrid mode today. Found a stream with no commentary on my laptop and played the audio off my phone. Audio was a bit ahead so I just paused it until the video caught up and it worked out well.

Poor first half, better second half. Robbed by the ref again. No card for a terrible challenge in the second half, could easily have been a red and then the third Pompey goal was offside.

It doesn't matter how well or badly you play if you get **** decisions like that all the time!

itfcptc likes this.
  17. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

BBC commentary was quite funny. Main commentator called the ground Fratton Park and our central defrender, Mcgoldrick. Clear penalty when Hawkins was pulled over. Dangerous tackle that could easily have been a red card and a 3rd goal that was offside. It’s been said before but the standard of the officials at this level is appalling. However, it’s another game against a top league 1 side that we haven’t won and next we have the excitement of the Papa Johns trophy

18. fieldmarshall

When all's said and done this is a game we could have won with a stronger side, so depressing.

19. itfcptc

Not a great performance but given the number of changes to the team it was a pretty good showing. I'm not surprised there is some rustiness. I think it does show though we have good enough players to step in.

I hate to say this, as he has received alot of stick but I'm not impressed by Nsiala. He was captain today but still makes too many mistakes, he's too rash, he comes out of the back line too much and gets too close to his man quite often, it leaves us with too many gaps at the back. Whilst Woolfenden and McGuinness are young they seem to show far more positional sense and cooler under pressure than Nsiala or Chambers (when at CB).

Again as I said before, I'm a big fan of us trying to play good football but sometimes we need to be more direct, and the problem with only playing 1 attacker is there is always options to pass to in an overloaded midfield but not enough options in the final third, so it almost encourages to overplay. I think when fit we need to look to play 2 uptop in either a 532 or a 442, preferably with Sears and Norwood. They are both intelligent players and movement is very good, Sears is wasted in a wide position.

I have to say Edwards impresses me more and more, he's not the most talented player in the squad but for a winger he always seems to have an impact on the game, is always trying to be positive and works his socks off.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  20. Southcoastoldgaffer

I too have always favoured two up front, it encourages better movement and the passing game we have enjoyed seeing spells of ths season. Not the hopeful kick up the field we have all seen to often ast few years.