1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Crystal Palace 0 v 2 Swansea City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Bob the slob

Bob the slob Well-Known Member

The Norwood branch of the Bob family reckoned Palace would love to have a player like Van der Hoorn. He did play well. Back three suits us with the defenders we have available. A shame Taylor threw a hissy when Guidolin tried it.

Ayew and Abraham took their goals well - other than when Abraham was having the ball lumped up to him, it reminded me of the way Sinclair and Borini played together.

Clucas had a good debut and everyone was solid.

2. swans-m

swans-m Well-Known Member

Anyone notice on motd Clucas saying about makelele used to play in his position? Does that mean we have mesa and Clucas fighting for the holding role? Or will they eventually both be played there? Hmm..

3. When Swans are flying

When Swans are flying Well-Known Member

Maybe play together in a 4-2-3-1, then Mesa only when 'fit', if playing 3 at the back..

I quite like this 3 at the back, gives us some solidity, organisation & a platform to build from. Over time, think Clement could coach them into an even stronger unit. Think if he was supported with the right acquisitions in the transfer market, we could make some significant progress. It was only when we switched last Saturday, that utd really exposed us...

Pull your finger out Huw..

Think we need to be patient over Mesa too, think the boy will come good..

4. The Lone Rangel

The Lone Rangel Active Member

Writing a player off after three league games. One of the stupidest posts I've ever seen.

5. Bob the slob

If we are serious about playing three at the back for the season we need another CB. With Bartley injured the system has no way of coping with an injury or suspension.
    To me it's an obvious formation to play if your players aren't the absolute cream of the crop (think Wales) but it does need more pace or craft from wing backs.
    Agree about the ManU game.
    I noted the MotD panel saying Leicester gave the Mancs a better game than we did. (Only highlights I know) but Leicester looked like they were being battered from start to finish.

6. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

How did Clucas play guys, nice to hear VDH had a tidy game, I just hope he can keep it up if we are to play 3 at the back. I agree with Bob if we are sticking with this system do need another CB.

Bob the slob likes this.
  7. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

8. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Why? He's been here the best part of 2 months, and still isn't fit.

We cannot afford to buy players for £11m and not play them. We also can't afford to buy players that aren't fit.

He's a pro footballer, how long does it take to get fit? Surely he's now fit enough to play 20-30mins.

9. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

How does anyone on here know whether a players fit, homesick or just not ready .

10. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Look at Leon, didn't kick a ball for months under Clement and as soon as he was brought back into the side it was as if he'd played all season.

If Ledley could recover from a broken leg in 4 weeks and play at the Euros, surely Mesa should he capable of playing PL football after signing 2 months ago?

11. seabreeze

seabreeze Well-Known Member

Clement has a bit of breathing room now and can relax without worrying about his job for a bit knowing how quick the club can turn on a manager . He knew who he wanted and got with Clucas and fired him in right away and got a MOTM performance . He must feel like a kid in a candy store this morning.Mesa will be brought along slow and steady till he learns whats needed from him . If we get another cb injury we can always go back to a 2 cb defence or call up Rodon, any club that has 2 cb down will face problems .Clement is going to make sure we are steady at the back and then work on attack.Pretty excited about the new system and possibilities of Arias and Bony possibly coming on board

When Swans are flying and Stumpy like this.
  12. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

I suppose at a push PC could put Clucas in the back 3 - he looks tall enough

Bob the slob likes this.
  13. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

The only time we looked truly vulnerable was when we switched. Fernandez and Mawson are vulnerable in a flat back 4. They look edgy, probably because we don't have have defensive FB's to help them out. Right now when we switch we don't have any defence at all. It took Utd 4 minutes to score 3 goals when we switched and Palace should have got at least 1 yesterday, lucky for us they were as crap as I thought they'd be.

Imo, forget about midfielders, wingers and flying wing-backs, we need a CB and a striker just to break even.

DragonPhilljack and seabreeze like this.
  14. Stumpy

Stumpy Well-Known Member

This years £11m is last years £5m so it seems we got what we paid for, a low cost midfielder. We spent £16.5m on Clucas, £5.5m more than Mesa which adds perspective to his deal imo. As long as he does his job when needed then that's the most we can expect for a low cost DM imo

If you look at our midfield its not so bad. We have Clucas fitting in with no dramas, Carroll playing well as usual and Fer keeping it together these days. Ki is soon to return and he'll be cover for Carroll and Fer, maybe interchanging with Fer to keep them both fresh. Britton covers Clucas along with Mesa. Fulton, Routledge, Narsingh and soon Dyer are the mix too. So we're well stocked in midfield so the most Mesa can hope for, injuries aside, is the bench imo.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    ValleyGraduate12 and seabreeze like this.
  15. Nosugarman1

Nosugarman1 Well-Known Member

I didn't understand why when VDH went off we didn't brig Mesa on instead of Routledge to play in front of the back four to close the game out.

16. seabreeze

Same...

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  17. Bob the slob

Solid.

seabreeze likes this.
  18. Bob the slob

Possible reasons
    1) Clement doesn't rate Mesa.
    2) Routs can act as an outlet and hold the ball up whereas Mesa is aways keen to pass.

Watched the game again and the three at the back will need to be tweaked. Mawson does not look comfortable being pushed wider by the inclusion of a central Centre Back so maybe VDH or Bartley should be tried with Alfie central.
    Just a thought.

19. seabreeze

Another option for The Routs situation is Clement wants to turn an aging Routledge into a "utility "player .So far this season , Routs has played as a winger , in Siggys spot and yesterday in a more defensive role . One thing Routs is good at is being tricky and creative , even if he is hot and cold at times , he can still keep the opposition wondering what he's going to do Also , when the smoke clears , I see Fer possibly playing a " Pratley" role , meandering up and down the pitch .

Bob the slob likes this.
  20. ValleyGraduate12

Forum Moderator

Fixed ;)