1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Crystal ball time.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

zogean_king likes this.
  2. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nothing too revelatory there, nor any surprising sentiments. Strikers will perhaps be the most interesting piece.

I hadn't really considered Matthews an option in goal next season, so checked up on him. First choice goalkeeper for a promotion chasing league 1 side, with 9 clean sheets in 21 appearances. To be honest, that's much better than I expected. If he wasn't already ours, you'd think he's the sort of player we'd be interested in.

3. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

We have an excellent record in ‘keepers on the whole I think

4. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I pretty much agree with most of that. But when I type in that tone on here, I get jumped on and ripped apart!

Doesn't come across as a positive piece. Accurate, but not happy clappy like people want.

Id love Gunn to stay, I don't see him playing another full season as number 1 I the Championship be in any way a negative. But I have thought for most of this season, from Man City, his next step should be a Premiership loan. As long as its regular 1st team football and having to produce saves regularly like you have to here. I don't think there is much in it, playing for us, or playing for a West Brom or Palace. I just feel he will be at a lower level Prem club on loan next season.

5. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

I'd much rather Mathews in goal than f*cking McGovern. Awful keeper, was annoyed we signed him at the time.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    JM Fan likes this.
  6. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

7. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

8. goldeneadie

goldeneadie Well-Known Member

I would like to see Abrahams and Idah given at least a bench spot in our last three games. We must take this opportunity to assess them at a higher level. Idah is still only 17 I believe, but he appears to be a natural scorer, and should be encouraged. If the reports of ManU interest is true this is doubly important.

9. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Based on the comments on that article, Morris is contracted until 2020, so Webber and Farke might have decisions to make. From what I've seen Shrewsbury seem to rate him, even if his goal output is meagre. I haven't seen him play enough to say whether he's a focal point for build-up play in a way that might suit Farke's system. Perhaps unfairly, I don't see him ever progressing much further, so him sitting on our bench/reserves as third striker instead of Watkins (please sell!) might be considerably cheaper cover, and more helpful to the club than loaning him out again in the hope that he develops further.

Talking of strikers, did anyone see the faintly ridiculous stat about Bas Dost (at Sporting) the other day? After a run of 45 goals, he's finally scored one in which he took a second touch. The previous 45 were all first time finishes, including a hat-trick in a game where he only touched the ball 13 times. From what we saw of RvW in his time here, you can see why he thrived in their system where the striker is only expected to find space and finish.

10. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

Why only the bench? To see at best 37 seconds when Farke actually makes a change. Nothing to lose now, give them a half a piece in each of the last three games and see if they look the part. SrBeny granted also needs any experience at this level he can get but Farke will know as much as he needs to about him prior to pre-season. These lads whilst clearly not ready in Farke's eyes might just surprise given a chance. Its not like Nelson will add any zeros to his fee if we play him.
    It might give the fans a lift to see the next generation of players given a go to reasure us the system could work.
    We can't exactly sing about one of own given the recent acquisitions of them, but still good to see that the scouts have found quality

Bah!

11. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I'd also like to see Abraham's and Donkeu given a chance on the bench now that we've got little to play for. As for the midfield, Andy is off target classifying McLean as an AM. He is much more a box-to-box CM and will probably take Reed's place next year. Much will depend on how we play next season if Madders leaves. It's not Vrancic's natural position and Cantwell is promising, but not ready yet to fill those shoes. We may well move to a 4-3-3 formation (as we did against Cardiff) with two flying wingers and two playmaking CMs flanking a DM. Leitner, Vrancic, McLean and Trybull are all well suited to that role and possibly Steipermann as well. Any money from JM could then be spent on a striker or two and another pacey winger.

12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Well that's young Pierre's nickname sorted if/when he flops!

RiverEndRick likes this.
  13. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

Exactly! We know Oliveira's limitations and to an extent now, Srbeny's as well, but to give a couple of young'uns 45 minutes each may give the fans something to get excited about - much as Cantwell did in the Chelsea cup game.
    And, as a club, we ain't going anywhere this season so what's to lose? <grr>

RiverEndRick and JM Fan like this.
  14. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Here's a slightly OPINION on our loanees - Five Norwich City players out on loan who could play a part next season.
    Remi Matthews, Plymouth –. He’s been catching the eye after making a string of impressive saves and keeping nine clean sheets so far
    Ben Godfrey, Shrewsbury – He can play either central midfield but can also slot in at centre back. His versatility is an essential part of his game.
    Carlton Morris, Shrewsbury – Morris is a strong, powerful striker who can hold the ball up and has a sharp eye for goal. He could prove to be a useful option for Daniel Farke off the bench next season.
    Kenny McLean, Aberdeen –. He’s found himself back on loan at Pittodrie this season notching three goals in eleven games. The Scot has made two appearances for his National team and could be someone Daniel Farke considers during pre-season.
    Yanic Wildschut, Cardiff–He failed to establish himself at Carrow Road and now is part of Cardiff’s promotion push. Wildschut is undeniably a good player at this level and if utilised properly, could be a key part of Norwich’s squad next season or sell and recoup some of the outlay.
    http://the72.co.uk/100638/five-norwich-city-players-loan-play-part-next-season/

Edit - I certainly agree with the author's views on Morris, as I saw him play several times last season for the Under 23s.

15. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

Predictive text changed it to Donkey and I changed the y to u but failed to change the D. <doh>

I think all of these players could make a difference next season. Wildschut could be sold if Cardiff get promoted though. Much will depend on Godfrey and Matthews if Tettey and Gunn leave. Morris could become the third striker to cover for injuries. McLean could bring a new dimension to midfield next season so it already looks like we've brought four 'new' players into the squad for next season to replace Tettey and Wes and any other leavers. Leitner and Reed might be back as well so we could have a settled squad from the off next season.

Canary Rob and JM Fan like this.