1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grand Prix thread CRYPTO.COM MIAMI GRAND PRIX 2022

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ched999uk, May 5, 2022.

?

Who will finish first in the first Miami Race?

Poll closed May 7, 2022.
  1. Charles Leclerc

21.4%
  2. Max Verstappen

35.7%
  3. Carlos Sainz

7.1%
  4. Sergio Perez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lewis Hamilton

7.1%
  6. George Russell

21.4%
  7. Lando Norris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Daniel Ricciardo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Fernando Alonso

7.1%
  10. Any Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Red Bull looks a very aero efficient car doesn’t it. They’ve got Ferrari just s out covered at the moment.

Barca upgrade analysis should be fascinating guys - gonna be a busy weekend!

ched999uk likes this.
  2. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I'm not sure we did <laugh>.
    Too much "show" and not enough on track action. Balance is wrong.
    That said I like the Texas track.

eddie_squidd likes this.
  3. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Interesting how little the red bull front wing flexes compared to mercs!
    With drs so powerful at most tracks a car capable of higher speeds is bound to do better.

TopClass likes this.
  4. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

95 points in the Constructors for Merc - that’s some return for a god awful car isn’t it!!

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  5. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

There are many, many true motorsport fans here, and F1 existing here is really important if you ask me. What's ridiculous is how they want to tackle it here. Going to places like Miami and turning in to an effing circus is just ridiculous when we have so many venues that would be happy to host races if is wasn't for the fact that F1 only looks at ways to milk more and more money from the sport.

I even saw something about liberty saying this was bigger than the Indy 500. They need to pull their head out of their arse and look at history, because the Indy 500 is far superior to this **** show and once upon a time was part of the calendar. Just take a look at the drivers how have won that, you absolute planks that run our sport!!!

Sorry for the rant, but this whole event has been nothing but a circus for me and I don't like it one bit.

I'm all for racing here, but do it right! If you think this was a **** show, just wait until Vegas.

6. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

They're the 3rd best team and always was. So technically they have under performed in other races. This race they were on Par

Viva_Giggsy likes this.
  7. Mark Blow

Mark Blow Well-Known Member

Hopefully we never go back

Justjazz and SgtBhaji like this.
  8. SgtBhaji

Cannot disagree with that one single bit.

Mark Blow likes this.
  9. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

It’s a shame because in Austin they seem to have got it right, a great circuit and the atmosphere seems like it’s very American in a friendly warm way rather than this nonsense. The football helmets was the final of the final straws for me.

ched999uk and SgtBhaji like this.
  10. Mark Blow

Why can’t they re invest in a track like Watkins Glen?

push, DHCanary and ched999uk like this.

11. Mark Blow

Just seen George’s overtake again in Lewis, yep, he did have to give the place back

12. Mark Blow

George being honest and saying the track surface is appalling

13. SgtBhaji

I'm totally with you. Austin may not be the best track in the calendar, but at least they have tried to do it right for the most part. It still has it's elements of cheese, but they built a real facility than actually hosts other races. It isn't just a backdrop.

F1 needs to stop making it about the venue and making it about the racing, because people can and will turn it off.

14. Mark Blow

Danica is Fit as Fcuk

TopClass likes this.
  15. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

but will the fake Marina? Or is it there to stay?

16. SgtBhaji

Depends on how well they glued the boats down.

17. SgtBhaji

And called out the ridiculousness of the football helmets. What's not to love?

:p

TopClass likes this.
  18. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

What a crap event that was. Usually once I've watched a race weekend at a new circuit I can memorise the track. I watched FP2, FP3, both W Series races, quali and the race: All I've got from Miami is "Start finish straight into right-hander, back straight into left-hander, crappy chicane under a flyover, esses onto S/F straight." That's about 15 corners unaccounted for.

The track design is terrible and nothing is memorable or interesting, and that's with basically a blank canvas to start from. The organisers planned a party then fit a circuit around it. It's a "street circuit" to facilitate that, and also to let them cut corners on safety. Not putting barriers where Ocon and Sainz crashed because it would make the track too narrow is an absolute joke. Why is your blank slate track forcing you to make safety compromises? Nobody could overtake there anyway, why not make the track narrower? Baku is apparently ok?

I thought half of this event was meant to be showing that "America gets F1" and F1 is now mainstream there, that Americans appreciate the sport of F1. It completely failed at that. It painted American interest in F1 as being tacky and superficial and more about celebrity and money than cars and racing. And that's a complete disservice to the rich motorsport culture and genuine fans in the country.

There were so few redeeming features of the weekend, honestly just try again from a blank slate next year. It's a temporary circuit in a car park, carry over nothing from this season and have another go at producing something watchable.

If F1 want me to commit half of my weekends per year to watching the sport, they've at least got to produce a decent product. I'll definitely think twice about bothering with this one next year. Billing this as "like a superbowl" was hilarious. It's like a superbowl where they'd forgotten to put grass on the pitch and posts at one end. The party doesn't matter if you can't get the sport right.

On a different note, this race might have hit a new low for TV direction? I genuinely found the timing tower the best thing to watch at times, the on track action was almost never covering the right thing. Seeing investigations and even penalties announced for incidents we hadn't seen to that point was wild, especially when you could see it on the timings.

Yeah I thought this was weird, Verstappen had drunk at least a bottle of water before they weighed him. I know the cars are all overweight so driver weight is currently pretty irrelevant, but if the FIA want to be arsey about jewelry and fireproof underwear, they could at least try and stick to their own sporting regs.

19. SgtBhaji

Man... I honestly could not have put this any better. You are 100% correct in your analysis.

It pains me, because I have lived here for over 20 years, and this is my home now. But to see F1 handled in such a farcical manner bothers me dearly.

Sadly I feel that the worse is yet to come. Vegas is going to be an absolute abomination when we get there next year. There will be a the glitz and not one ounce of substance.

You know what's crazy, I think the cheapest ticket for this **** show was around $500. Considering you can do the Indy 500 for a mere fraction of that, it blows my mind that anyone would pay that here.

20. moreinjuredthanowen

I agree with all of the above.

The build up was a shambles. The drivers were avoiding the slobbering mob of no marks and celebs that were all over the grid. Martin brundle embarrassed himself 3 or 4 times as he really couldn't figure out what was going on and the sky lot couldn't brief him properly.

Then Beckham was acting like he was gods lift whereas for me he is just a z lister. An old man with badly faded tattoos who nobody knows.

The track surface was ****. The barriers were unsafe, the track too narrow.

The "fans" in were actually looking away taking selfish rather than real race fans etc.

They stooped coverage live after 3 laps or so and showed us 5 or 6 replays of the start and shots of "fans"

I missed 70% of incidents in race due to the direction being crap.

The thing is, I am very sure this track surface will disintegrate rapidly due to extremes of heat and then rain

People mention Vegas. Been there seen that. The raod surfaces there were frankly atrocious so I can o ly assume the massive heat and cold of night will break it up like the normal roads.

It'll be another celeb/wannabe frenzy that's about the parties at 3am not the race.

We won't even be able to see it unless we endure it at 2am or whenever.

duggie2000, Justjazz and ched999uk like this.