1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Crewe V Gillingham.

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Nov 3, 2020.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Is that what a goal looks like?

3. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Smash and grab......another Oxford day going by the stats 74% v 26% possession and 20 shots to our 7..............glad we won at last but sounds like a really ugly win. Beautiful game anyone?

brb likes this.
  4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

After watching us lose games that we at least deserved something from, it was nice to be second best and win.

DebbieA and brb like this.
  5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

WINDYROG - it wasn't as ugly as you might think. The game was quite 'watchable.' The intensity / effort / commitment from The Gills was pleasing - even if quality was rare.

Crewe are no different to most teams in League 1. Gills may have players who can't score many - but - do have players who can work hard - and if they do, they will get some luck and win matches. It is correct that Crewe were guilty of some glaring misses, and very wasteful of good opportunities to score -- and could / should have been 4-0 up before half time - but- as unlucky as Crewe may have been, Gills have not had the best of luck in the previous two games.

brb likes this.
  6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I thought Crewe played very well, their passing and ball control playing out of defense was as good as I've seen.
    If there is a weakness it's overplaying, unlike gymnastics you don't get points for artistic merit, only for scoring goals.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

Brilliantly said <laugh>

grumpygit likes this.
  8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You can see how lucky we were, and how wasteful Crewe were.

brb likes this.
  9. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The shot that flies over the bar at 1min 14 is actually a very good save, it was a lot clearer in slow-mo.

10. gioblues

gioblues Well-Known Member

Wonder why it was s corner <laugh>
    We certainly got lucky last night:emoticon-0128-hi:

11. brb

brb CR250

Thanks grumpygit. <ok>

Cracking ball in by Graham for Akinde, and Lumley amazing in goal. As was said for Oxford, the luck at last back on our side.

How did their number 10 not score. <laugh>

I'm happy now, that's 13 points on the board, so another 38-41 to go to secure this league for next season, on a tight budget. If we just maintain our current performance we will achieve 54-55 points, but I expect this team to develop as the season goes on, good bunch of lads, albeit I think we could do with a more mobile striker. Graham can get the balls in the box, it's just the striker keeping up with him. This is probably where we could have still done with Hanlan, but hopefully Akinde's confidence will grow and the gaffer will give him a bit more opportunity on the basis of that.

grumpygit likes this.
  12. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

I was concerned going in at half time and felt we should have been about 3-0 down after 45 mins. The performance was better than MK Dons but I still wasn't overly convinced by our play. We won more because Crewe couldn't hit a barn door on Tuesday rather than our ability. If it wasn't for the fact we had a Championship keeper pulling off some fine saves, it could have been a cricket score.

grumpygit and brb like this.
  13. WINDYROG

WINDYROG Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. I can only go by the stats I'm afraid as living in France I can't get iFollow and the one minute on the EFL TV programme on Quest doesn't really show a good picture of the game. Fingers crossed for the rest of the season.