1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Coventry City v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by wizered, Apr 4, 2021.

1. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Inconsistent has been the issue, but for some reason, even though it’s possible to get a performance from them it easily falls apart.. by right, that’s what the manager is for..
    No, didn’t watch it.. family visit was far more important today.. tbh, glad I missed it.. sounds like you studied every second!!

2. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Yes that is what a manager is for, of course it helps if said manager can have a chance to **** it up for himself by bringing in his own players and not have to rely on someone else's inconsistent players.

I watch BCFC games because for better or worse they are my team and as my dad told me and I told my son after a really good result, "just remember this is Bristol City make the most of it because next week, they'll break your heart" and they rarely disappoint in that regard.

I only ever ask that to a man my team give 100% and over the past 3 seasons, for prolonged run of games certain players have not done that and 2 managers have been sacked because of it.

3. oneforthebristolcity

oneforthebristolcity Well-Known Member

Well, that will be down for SL to decide......even he thought we had a half decent squad that should have done better this season.....two changes of coach has not really improved anything so far.......Will SL be willing & trusting to give NP a contract (which I imagine won't be cheap) and backing to rebuild......has NP given enough assurance and proof of his ability to risk such an outlay..
    I imagine SL at this moment in time (like I am) is undecided...........and with all the hype from those shouting from the rooftops "he's our saviour".......well so far I'm slightly underwhelmed......................I really hope I'm proven wrong, as I had started to warm to him, although find some of his post match interviews a bit tedious....maybe this will change, once it's been decided if he stays or not...

4. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

It will be down to SL and he had better get it right, he had better clarify some comments in his wooly interview last week, season ticket begging has started and I think a lot of people will not renew without that clarity, I certainly will not.

No he claimed that we had a strong squad, and it is anything but that, a decent/half decent/strong squad would have saved LJ's job, a decent/half decent/strong squad would be far more consistent and you have already agreed that this squad is and has been inconsistent.

I find it funny that last week you agreed with all but 1 of my 12 out 14 of the out of contract players that should be let go but you are still claiming this decent/half decent squad line.

I liken our present predicament to September 2005, we had in those pre FFP days assembled a strong and reasonably expensive squad, whose main attribute had become getting pissed and getting into trouble, so much so one of our top strikers injured himself pre season drunkenly falling off of a bar stool, rendering himself unfit for the first 6 weeks of the season. Gary Johnson came in and laid down the law and if memory serves we went 10 or 11 games without a win. It took the arrest of 4 players, 3 of whom went to prison and the 4th who ended up with community service and one of the same players getting red carded for attacking his captain during a game before GJ started to weed out the offending piss artists and gradually build the momentum and HIS squad before his promotion in 2007. I am not suggesting alcohol this time, more likely a comfort zone problem.

I think the person who needs to step up is SL and his puppet master Ashton, the uncertainty from his interview can only be damaging, just like the sacking of LJ and long wait for the 'best candidate' Holden to be anointed, it lessens the chances of bringing in the 'quality' needed to improve this squad.

Simple question who do you believe would be the most suitable candidate for the job and somebody who would actually accept the job?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  5. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Unless he's assured that he will get the final say over which players of his own that he wants to bring in, suitable funds are made available, and he is offered the job on a permanent basis, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nige walk away if he thinks that management will have the final say and continue to interfere with what matters - i.e results.

oneforthebristolcity likes this.
  6. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I see mick laughed off his 5-0 at Cardiff ..gave some really good responses to the questions if the reporter wanted to make him look devastated he was well wrong MICK CAME OUT 10/10

7. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

But was worth a big offer from Mr Ashton to keep at the club.

8. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

I am not sure I believe they have made him a big offer, but if they have it just to show how useless and dysfunctional the running of our club has become.

9. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

That game was a waste of £10

10. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

I spent £50 at the start …. last 5 or 6 games been to busy to watch or listen or observe .. and glad I have' nt.
    happy with NP "BEING OUR MANAGER" but would like to have seen the coach's carry on, we will never know … could be above Barnsley now!

11. Cliftonville

Cliftonville Well-Known Member

Offers were made. He is still playing. The star player going through his charade on the pitch. No surprises he does this anytime, any season depending on mood. His level now is just a % lower. That is the standard BCFC have chosen to keep around the place.