1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coventry and their pitch ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 8, 2022.

1. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Their day will come though, and boy will I rejoice when they get kicked into oblivion.

2. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Good point. Although I'd argue they're East Midlands!

3. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

There's a very limited queue of people wanting to buy stadiums unless it's for demolition and building.

As for 'bringing in the administrators but not being in administration', that's nonsense ...

... it's like calling in the Fire Brigade then pretending there's no fire <laugh>

Gil T Azell and cumbrianmackem like this.
  4. Monkey69

Monkey69 Well-Known Member

I find it weird that clubs can have points deducted for going into administration but Coventry have an arm put round them for failing to fulfill fixtures and are allowed to continue as a club without having a ground. Some clubs in the past have been denied access to the football league because their grounds were not up to standard and Coventry don't even gave a ground. The EFL seem to be very lenient towards them on a number of occasions over the years whilst being harsh on other clubs makes you wonder just what is going on at times. In my opinion failure to fulfill a fixture unless in exceptional circumstances should be met with points penalties

5. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

About 3000 would satisfy me.

Hettonista likes this.
  6. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

They 100% should have some sort of punishment, points deduction always the most effective. Through no fault of their own the teams they should have played now have to squeeze in another fixture, Coventry shouldn't get away with that unpinished.

Is there even any talk of punishment from efl?

Edit: a quick Google looks like the efl last said this in a statement released on 17 August;

The primary objective for the EFL is to get Coventry City playing at the CBS Arena as soon as the pitch is in a safe condition for the participants. It is only then that the League will consider the collective circumstances of each postponement before determining what course of action could be taken in accordance with the Regulations.

I'd suggest now is the time to tame a course of action.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

The silence is deafening

8. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Can guarantee if it was a more northern team the punishment would’ve been dished out in spades!! (No pun intended!!)

Gil T Azell likes this.
  9. Washysafc

Washysafc Well-Known Member

Is the standard punishment not 3 points deducted per game? Is it three games they have missed? If so they should be on -6 points as it stands, 16 points behind forth bottom.

10. Smug in Boots

If they avoid relegation, because of those points, the third bottom club won't be happy ...

... if they fail to act the EFL is setting a dangerous precedent.

11. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

That release is actually mind boggling and I missed it at the time.

The primary objective of the EFL , whether in this context or not is categorically NOT to get Coventry doing anything. It is to administer the game for all 72 clubs.

Many are now suffering a de facto disadvantage because of Coventry's mal administration. Many others are working under financial constraints which are greater than Coventry's because, uniquely it seems, the rules and precedents do not apply to that club.

It is a disgrace in plain sight. One more neon lit example of hopeless, venal and incompetent management by the EFL.

12. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

The EFL are terrified of another Derby type situation in my opinion. They know they went aggressive there and on another day may well have faced a massive court situation. I wonder how water tight these rules and sanctions they have drawn up really are, I suspect they might be reviewing them as we type. I am not really a fan of points deductions anyway, as we all know the innocent suffer most in those circumstances.

Smug in Boots likes this.
  13. rooch 3

I reckon they are making a canny job of getting relegated themselves, but that little extra nudge would be much appreciated <laugh>

14. rooch 3

There are no innocents this time, they are only Coventry fans<ok>

15. Smug in Boots

That's all quite reasonable Fell.

However, the Coventry supporters could have benefitted from their cheating, last season and may again this, so they have to take the rough with the smooth. The club has avoided huge stadium costs and spent that money on players. In the meantime SAFC are spending on stadium administration, general upkeep, relaying the pitch, maintenance, etc.

If Coventry had sneaked up, last season, they and the fans would've been dancing in the streets ...

... sorry but my sympathy level wouldn't be too high if they were justly, according to EFL regulations, docked point for failing to play a match.

16. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Fair points mate. I think that is probably the way to look at it, more than mine. I felt for Derby fans last year, living in the area as I do. Mind you, I do remember sitting in my local with a few Derby mates telling them that stadium valuation stunt smelled rotten and one or two laughed it off saying Mel Morris was too clever and they were all in with Lampard for promotion. Like you say mate, rough with the smooth.

The Professor and Smug in Boots like this.
  17. Snaggey

Snaggey Well-Known Member

I would be quite happy to lose the point we got against them, if they were booted out and all played fixtures were null and void.
    I would have zero sympathy for their fans either.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  18. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

In the past , Safc were fined for turning up late , even though it was not their fault ( traffic problems) and the team got changed on the bus so that kickoff wouldn’t be delayed

19. rooch 3

Quite amazing that one of their 3 points came from us at the SOL.

Snaggey and Gil T Azell like this.
  20. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they actually deserved it as well.