1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coventry and their pitch ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Aug 8, 2022.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Wigan will ask for the three points as will Huddersfield who are due to play there on Saturday ...

.... we may not be gifted points if Coventry cobble a pitch together for our game there and we lose.

If Wigan or Huddersfield beat us to promotion, play offs or relegation safety by three points that would be unfair. This situation was totally predictable and can't be allowed just to drift on.

The Professor, rowley and vic9 like this.
  2. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Giving the visiting teams the 3 points would open a massive can of worms so don’t think that’s a good idea.

Points deduction makes sense as it punishes the team without benefiting others.

I doubt any action at all will be taken however knowing how crap the authorities are.

3. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

they are not full fulling a fixture so that's a points deduction, there is no excuses for it. letting a rugby team play there does not help either. So if a team is missing 6 players due to injury etc they just go down and rough the pitch up, to get the game called off easy eh.

4. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

The rugby team let Coventry play there i think.

5. Smug in Boots

Correct and the Coventry signed a contract knowing the stadium would be used for the Commonwealth Games.

So they knew the pitch would suffer.

As was mentioned earlier they're spending money on players and hoping to get to the PL before having to buy land and build a stadium.

They're like a mobile leper colony that no one really wants.

6. Dunder Mifflin

Dunder Mifflin Well-Known Member

If Coventry had any sense they would seek to build a stadium they actually own. The Ricoh (or whatever it’s called now) has been open what 15 years and they’ve moved out twice and now are having these issues where they can’t even play a game.

A 20,000-25,000 seater stadium would more than accommodate their fanbase.

7. vic9

vic9 Well-Known Member

Nailed it

8. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

It seems that Wasps RFC have their own problems.

They are currently being chased by the Revenue for non-payment.
    Oddly, it seems that Wasps don't seem particularly concerned as I read that a spokesman said that 'we always come to an amicable agreement with The Revenue, when this happens'.

But this does make it look as if they, Wasps, may not be in a position to do any sort of quick remedial work on the pitch.
    So they look unlikely to be the solution to City's problems.

The Ground Staff must be working night shifts to put it right.
    Meanwhile, according to the Press, Coventry City FC are expecting a fine of around £100K.
    Lenient, because the problem was not of their making and beyond their control.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  9. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

The thing is that it IS under Coventry's control, or was. It is their duty to show that they have a ground to play in.

They have sub contracted that responsibility. They should be docked multiple points and then, if they feel they have a case, sue Wasps.

The Professor likes this.
  10. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

It's surely a fundamental requirement of membership of the league that you're able to fulfil your fixtures. Even in Saturday local park football,teams would be docked points or suspended if they couldn't play their matches.Coventry aren't able to play theirs at their ground and haven't made arrangements to play them elsewhere,and should be dealt with accordingly.

11. Brainy Dose

:emoticon-0102-bigsm Lots of vitriol towards Coventry I know.....but,that's Jimmy Hill's fault and it'll always be there!

12. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Does anyone on here seriously think our EFL numpties are going to haul Coventry over the coals for this.
    They've neither the gumption or the balls to deal with this as they should, someone mentioned a fine which is ridiculous. Time will tell.

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  13. Brainy Dose

<laugh><laugh>

14. Brainy Dose

Even a modest stadium like that will cost several hundred million.....which they obviously don't have.
    At the risk of becoming boring,I'll say it again....take a bow Sir Bob Murray!

15. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Absolutely no chance. They will get off with a slap on the wrist.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  16. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

just had a quick read and catch up, good grief that club is a mess, from what i can gather, the problems 'began' when the owners decided the rent on the ground was too much for a league one club.

unless i am mixing my time lines up, while the owners were playing at basically any other ground that would agree to have them, ACL sold thier shares in the ground to the wasps, i would have thought that there would be an agreement between both/all parties to maintain the pitch and stadium therefore keeping it safe for all games and any public...the owners then figured it would be a good idea to rack up more losses while taking people to court over the price the stadium was sold for.

now, i am fairly sure after the all seater stadiums were brought into place, clubs had to have or prove they had a stadium that reached certain standards, in the case of non league clubs gaining promotion to the fourth division, if the ground was not up to those standards they would be refused entry, yet here we have a club who not only do not own their own ground but have in place what looks like a very precarious agreement having to call games off due to the pitch not being in a fit state, with a lot of the problems being caused by the owners...surely that should mean, at the very least, a points deduction and at worst expulsion from the leagues.

17. Smug in Boots

That's pretty much the case mate.

Coventry have avoided the costs and used the money to buy players ...

... that's given them an unfair advantage, much like kicking off at times that suit them.

18. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

They're probably playing the waiting game, now. It looks like Wasps are insolvent. I imagine Coventry are waiting for them to be booted out so they can apply to the council to take over the lease.

Brainy Dose likes this.
  19. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Points deduction is the rule as it stands I believe. That's what should happen, should already have happened and should happen again if this disgrace is repeated.

The Professor, Brainy Dose and Daz like this.
  20. Smug in Boots

I suspect the EFL will wait to see the final outcome before imposing any punishments.

As they're repeat offenders the pitch will become a massive problem during the winter.