1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by astro, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I read a good article earlier today. This isn't about Cummings anymore and perhaps it never was. It's about why Cummings matters so much to Boris and why the Cabinet matters so little. What this ****storm demonstrates perfectly is the power of Cummings (which tbf we already suspected) but importantly his power in contrast to the weakness of cabinet ministers. This Prime Minister has no one in Cabinet or elsewhere he trusts and needs in the way he trusts and needs Cummings.

Consider for a moment, an aide giving his own press conference in the garden at Downing Street and a couple of hours later a Prime Minister actually telling journalists 'these points have already been answered by the aide'. A Prime Minister deferring his responsibility in subservience to an unelected official. Couple that with the fact Cabinet ministers were ordered out like second rate lackeys to dispense barely credible justifications of an aide's actions.

Boris knows there's a financial/economic nightmare coming. He knows he won't be able to cope with the fallout from that without Cummings because there isn't anyone who he really trusts enough or has faith in other than Cummings to get him through it.

* Record Points Total likes this.
  2. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

I dont think boris is the most popular person with in the party. As weve seen the biggest threat to a conservative prime minister isnt the labour party, it's the lackys stood behind him smiling while sharpening there knives.

Treble likes this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

10 months ago, if it wasn't for the unique set of circumstances around Brexit there is absolutely NO fcking chance he would've become Tory leader or Prime Minister.

At the time it was pretty well known about two thirds of Tory MPs thought he was an utter **** and wouldn't want him as their leader.

Funny old game, history. Written on the most pivotal misfortunes.

Prince Knut and THE FOOL like this.
  4. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Obviously he will be well aware of his favourability within his party. No wonder Cummings is untouchable.

If boris was at a party hed be stood in the kitchen by himself. I cant see him lasting to long in all honesty. His rivals must be pissing them selves with laughter, if Brexit wasnt a massive poison chalice, hes got a ****ing plague to deal with as well, leading to possibly one if the biggest recessions weve seen.

Bumps likes this.
  5. Prince Knut

Prince Knut GC Thread Terminator

6. LuisDiazgamechanger

Tottenham confirm one positive test in Premier League's fifth round of coronavirus testing

7. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

The Covid closed cases - 3,884,722 now outnumber the active cases - 3,238,486.

This is a very good sign.

8. Solid_Air 2

Solid_Air 2 Well-Known Member

err bot sure where you are getting your figures from as the DHSC figures are

As of 9am 8 June, there have been 5,731,576 tests, with 138,183 tests on 7 June. 287,399 people have tested positive.

9. johnsonsbaby

Worldometers.info where the hospitalised cases and mortalities are recorded. These are the only figures that will determine whether and when we are over the worst.

It's pretty obvious that millions have tested positive and millions have had the virus who were neither tested nor hospitalised. They don't make it onto these charts.

10. Solid_Air 2

ah these are world figures .
    World figures to me are of secondary importance to what is happening closer to home .

11. johnsonsbaby

I thought it looked pretty obvious tbh because the UK hasn't got 3,500,000 active cases ie. hospitalised.

I'm the opposite to you on this as I want the good news. I'm not interested in the politicised view or hearing from the doom and gloomers. I'm actively seeking out the science. While I think Boris is a buffoon, I get no pleasure from hate watching, hate listening or hate reading about him in the media or on here. I'm trying really hard to stay sane and I learnt a long time that rubbish in results in rubbish out and that includes the quality of what you watch, read and listen to.

lfcpower and THE FOOL like this.
  12. Solid_Air 2

you really need to stop reading far too much into simple posts and chill out .

13. johnsonsbaby

I wasn't aware I was reading too much into anything tbh. I made a statement about trying to look on the bright side as an alternative to being negative. I find being positive is more likely to keep you chilled out actually.

Hope I haven't upset you mate. Sometimes posts are read in a different voice to how they intended in coming across, maybe that happened here. Sorry if it did <ok>

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    Solid_Air 2 and organic red like this.
  14. Solid_Air 2

Alls good though i did read it as i was a bit of a doom monger <yikes> but as you "said" it is sometimes difficult to "read" a posts intent .
    :emoticon-0150-hands

johnsonsbaby likes this.
  15. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

How does this current approach to lockdown work?

For example, Leicester are being into lockdown but what stops them getting in the car and getting to a neighbouring city or town?

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

It’ll depend on whether they’re driving about 30 miles each way to give themselves an eye test I suppose.

InBiscanWeTrust and Zanjinho like this.
  17. johnsonsbaby

I think they are back to no travel unless it's essential; stay home; shops and schools closed. It depends how rigorous the local police approach is whether anyone getting into a car is stopped.

18. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

What if they work outside of Leicester (carrying on the example)

19. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

What about crossing the county border? I hear Derbyshire is on the verge of another lockdown; my mate lives in Derbyshire but is literally a minute walk from the Nottinghamshire border. Everything he does such as shopping etc is in Nottinghamshire, him being in Derbyshire is purely a technicality.

(I realise reality is different, just wondering how it's suppose to work)

20. johnsonsbaby

Then that will be classed as an essential journey.

Zanjinho likes this.