1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by brb, Feb 25, 2020.

?

Boris...

1. should completely lock us down immediately and fook up all our Christmas'

12.5%
  2. let the bodies stack high

54.2%
  3. lock us down from the 29th to fook up Treble's plans

33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan

Stan Stalker

It's clearly not but you've got blue tinted specs on.

Edelman likes this.
  2. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

It clearly is if you read the article, it’s from a flag waving Scot.

Diego likes this.
  3. Stan

Stan Stalker

I read the article.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Some very interesting points raised in the article below.

• "A relentless focus on the number of tests performed each day had led to basic data reporting standards falling by the wayside (Prof Sheila Bird, formerly of the Medical Research Council’s biostatistics unit at the University of Cambridge). It's not just the numbers but the breakdown which has largely been ignored. And she says without the breakdowns of how many tests were being carried out on patients in hospital, critical workers and family members of critical workers it was impossible to extract prevalence rates of infection in these different groups and other crucial information that would allow scientists to more accurately assess the status of the outbreak in the UK.
    • Even though hospitals now have the capacity to complete 38,000 tests a day, without enough doctors and nurses to administer them the number of tests is much lower.
    • Around a third of those tested in the UK this week had positive results. While useful for guiding medical treatment, this also suggests current testing is far below the levels that would be needed for population surveillance. “The data I’ve been seeing suggests there’s not anywhere near enough testing,” Hanage said. “The way you should be doing it is to build the capacity and ability to run large numbers of tests – enough that only 10% are coming back positive.” (not sure why that last bit important).
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-meet-covid-19-testing-targets-say-scientists

5. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Then you already know.

6. Stan

Stan Stalker

I think you missed the point as you're so keen to put a positive government spin on it. No idea what's in it for you to be fair.

7. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I’m just happy to see that our overseas territories aren’t being forgotten and that we are still trying to be outward looking.

There’s some lovely people on the Cayman Islands who I met and spent time with when I was out there and I think it’s positive to hear we’re assisting where we can with providing PPE to keep people protected.

Rather than viewing it as the government prioritising rich people in a tax haven, I’m seeing it as the UK helping to look out for it’s overseas territories. And the people who will benefit from this aren’t all rich people who will find it easier to isolate in their mansions it’s the normal people of the islands who keep everything running.

The world is bleak enough without looking for the most cynical spin on any news you see. Look for some positivity in the world around you.

duggie2000, Diego and Welshie like this.
  8. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Wasnt there a stand at the Tory party conference about tax evasion and the Cayman Islands ?
    You know showing people how to invest and avoid paying BRITISH taxes.??(

Archers Road and Tobes like this.
  9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Yes.

10. Edelman

There you go you see the rich looking after the rich ,!
    Shouldn't that be EVERY HARD WORKING Brits priority ?.
    Moggy and Banks will need it

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Sir Richard Branson has warned that airline Virgin Atlantic needs government support to survive. The boss of the Virgin Group said he was not asking for a handout, but a commercial loan, believed to be £500m.

In an open letter to staff, Sir Richard said: "Many airlines around the world need government support and many have already received it. The plea comes as Virgin Australia, the country's second largest airline, faces going into administration without aid. Sir Richard wrote in his letter that without UK government support for Virgin Atlantic "there won't be any competition left and hundreds of thousands more jobs will be lost".

"We will do everything we can to keep the airline [Virgin Atlantic] going - but we will need government support to achieve that in the face of the severe uncertainty surrounding travel today and not knowing how long the planes will be grounded for. This would be in the form of a commercial loan - it wouldn't be free money and the airline would pay it back (as EasyJet will do for the £600m loan the government recently gave them)."

Don't know enough about this but seems like a lot of jobs are dependent on the airline, as well as associated businesses (including manufacturing) that rely on the airline. Maybe the government doesn't think it will get the money back.

afcftw likes this.
  12. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

They were at the Labour Party Conference last year as well ;)

Diego likes this.
  13. Edelman

Just as disgraceful

afcftw likes this.
  14. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I believe he’s said he would put his private island up as collateral as well so don’t think it’s an issue if not being paid back though I can’t say I’ve researched it that deeply!

Think the government basically said they should exhaust other avenues of finance first.

Treble likes this.
  15. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Probably not the most important thing but do they have to show this ****ing transport graph every day? People aren’t driving as much. We get it.

Archers Road and afcftw like this.
  16. Bwood_Ranger

Denmark isn’t allowing companies registered in tax havens access to state aid. Seems reasonable.

17. Looney Leftie

Looney Leftie Well-Known Member

We should follow the example of the Danish government and offer no government assistance to companies and individuals whose accounts are based in tax havens and have therefore deprived the government of income.

18. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Seems a reasonable argument. Is this why the government aren't lending to Virgin Atlantic though? I don't think so.

19. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

He’s not paid a penny in U.K. Tax for 14 years.

**** him.

If they go bust someone else will take over the aircraft and the routes.

Edelman, Stan, BobbyD and 2 others like this.
  20. Bwood_Ranger

You can say that again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.