1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Thanks for all the good wishes everyone. We're all fine and my daughter is doing ok. She still has a mild cough and only experienced a tight chest for a couple of days. To be honest, when my wife said she had to take her to get tested, I thought it was a bit over the top and was 99% sure that it would come back negative.

We've all been self-contained in isolation for sixteen days with no physical contact with anyone. So would I be correct in saying that all four of us would've had the virus by now?

My wife rang the doctor's surgery to inform them but the receptionist didn't show any interest than other to say that they'll inform the Dr and couldn't offer her any advice.

NigsyHoops, BobbyD, SW Ranger and 7 others like this.
  2. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Glad there's no untoward dramas, Ninesy. Good question regarding who in your household has had the virus already.

kiwiqpr, rangercol and QPR999 like this.
  3. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

The disturbing news coming out is the possibility that 51 people who have recovered from the virus in South Korea have been REINFECTED !!
    Might just of been MSM out for front page news and as I’m just getting ready for my next night shift I haven’t had time to look into it further.
    Scary if true

QPR999 likes this.
  4. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Do you only do night shifts mate?

Staines R's likes this.
  5. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

‘If’. Actually their deaths per million of population is much lower than ours and much much lower than France, Spain, Italy. Their strategy isn’t a political one, it is explicitly led by their public health and epidemiology experts, though to be fair there are many people criticising the approach in Sweden.....but not a majority. From what I have read the population trust the strategy and like being treated like adults.

If they persist in this approach (I hope they do, we need a contrast, though their population is younger and doubtless fitter than ours so direct comparison is tricky) the long term damage to their economy, will be much lower (as is the short term damage) so they will have less of the austerity, poverty and MH issues that we will probably face.

Stroller, Totallyqpr and rangercol like this.
  6. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Surely more likely that they never really got rid of the original infection.

Staines R's likes this.
  7. Staines R's

Two blocks of nights, two blocks of days then a week off mate.
    Good pattern but the nights kill me.
    To be honest I’m having a bit of a panic wobble at the moment and thinking I’ve had enough of the stress at my age. Now just found out there is a possibility I might be split from my crewmate ain’t helping.
    Jacking it all in and going to Tesco’s seems an easy option right now :(

8. Staines R's

Good point mate...as I say, only saw the headline. Leaving for work now, will try and pop in later

Steelmonkey and sb_73 like this.
  9. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

I got a bit like that towards the end. You'd get done for the most trivial misdemeanour, but when it suited them they were happy for you to cut corners for them operationally and get all draconian if you refused.

You take care mate.

NigsyHoops, kiwiqpr and Steelmonkey like this.
  10. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

11. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Kept any of your old ladders, Nines? You could do a sneaky runner out of a back window if it gets too much!

Seriously though, take care, mate!

kiwiqpr, Uber_Hoop and QPR999 like this.
  12. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

They're behind us on the timeline, just as we are behind Italy, so I think it's too early to make comparisons, but I agree it's interesting that they have taken a counter position to the most of the rest of the world. Their deaths are accelerating rapidly. If that continues, I doubt the populace will continue to support this policy and government will come under huge pressure but we'll see.

13. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

Well, let’s see what Totally thinks, he lives there after all. The population in Sweden have the advantage of seeing what is happening/has happened in western countries which have taken alternative, more draconian, options. I’m sure that they understand that the driver behind the UK and other countries’ approaches is not the idea that the epidemic can be stopped, but the fear that health services will collapse. If the Swedes don’t have that fear, why would they opt for anything other than what they are doing, the alternatives won’t, ultimately, save any more lives.

14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I've not heard anything from the media. Maybe it's just another one of those sensationalized stories?

15. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

The deaths are mostly in Stockholm and the city is pretty much on a lock-down.
    Sweden is a very big/long and sparsly populated country and everyone is strongly advised to not travel anywhere.
    All sport is suspended to stop teams travelling to other towns and I assume this is containing (to a certain degree) the spreading of the virus.
    I am far from certain that this policy is working or will work for a longer period of time, but so far I think (probably) that this is best for Sweden.
    Being a secondary school teacher in a small town, I cannot see that the risks are too high because these kids (and us teachers) are geographically segregated.
    Norrköping would be playing at home to Malmö right now in the season's opener. Bollocks!

QPR999, ELLERS, Goldhawk-Road and 2 others like this.
  16. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

My main gripe when out walking is that it always seems to be us who take a wide course around people or stop and wait for others to pass.
    Always us!!
    Never a thank you either.
    Does my nut in.
    The regular walk we take takes us down a narrow path and through a couple of bore holes before opening out into the countryside.
    Even when we've reached the wider areas, it's always us who move off the quite wide paths and move along the edges of the fields.
    Today, Mrs Rangercol had to grip my hand very tightly as each twat made us move.
    Rant over.

17. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Still packed like sardines, no joined-up thinking here...

kiwiqpr likes this.
  18. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Same with me the past few days, especially those jogging or running who seem to think you have to clear the track in front of them, selfish arseholes...

NigsyHoops, Uber_Hoop and rangercol like this.
  19. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It really is thick to reduce the service.
    Having said that, I'd do anything to get to work a different way other than using the tube right now.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  20. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

What I'm reading here is that, in light of the sharp increase in deaths, the Swedish government is pushing through emergency legislation to give it the same powers that other countries have. It then has the necessary powers should it need them