1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, we are on course to have Italy's numbers in 9 days time.

Our infection curve is quite a bit steeper than theirs, and we have still not locked down fully. Again, I really really hope I'm wrong, but all I can see is a huge disaster coming.

I am normally the most chilled person ever, but I'm really struggling with the inevitability of this, and that it's been so obvious for so long

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I’m on the same thought @Osvaldorama

I hope I’m wrong, but the gamble hasn’t worked.

3. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

Whilst there is no doubting that the most important people during this crisis are the NHS personnel, the people who serve the public in supermarkets and shops are also at considerable risk. Quite difficult to serve someone and maintain a safe distance I would think.

4. Osvaldorama

Its horrible. I have seen SO many predictions since january, from trustworthy sources online, about how bad this could get. They are all coming to pass.

But the government didnt react until this week. How can we all see it so clearly, yet they couldn't?

5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

They made the decision to try and protect the economy as much as they could. Ultimately the gamble is looking like it has backfired as the virus has spread so much that we will be in lockdown for a long time which will **** the economy probably enough that it won’t recover for a long time when this is over. Not to mention the tax hikes and austerity measures that will have to come in ASAP after we get through this

6. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

7. Osvaldorama

I understand that, it's a gamble that looks like it hasn't paid off.

What is completely unforgivable to me, is that they are STILL not seeing the numbers.

Boris today "we could see Italy's numbers if we dont stay inside"... INCORRECT. We will already see Italy's numbers if we locked down right now.

They are trying to calm people, but it's making people think it's a minor problem. They need to be ringing the alarm bells as loudly as possible

RSS and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  8. thereisonlyoneno7

You know what. It may be unpopular, but sod the economy. Let’s save lives/families.

We’ll take a look at the economy once it’s over.

Many will lose a lot, but let’s not include their lives and the lives of their families and others they come into contact with.

9. Osvaldorama

I dont think that will be an unpopular opinion in approximately 9 days time.

10. thereisonlyoneno7

When it comes to life and death everything else pales into insignificance.

Osvaldorama likes this.

11. Osvaldorama

Thanks guys. It's nice to vent to people that are feeling the same as me. I still see so many people not worried in the slightest.

Le Saint and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  12. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Unquestionably. How well do people work when everyone is paralyzed with fear with every public interaction if this goes nuclear? How much business happens when everyone knows someone straddling the line between life and death?

There are three things that, historically, were capable of rapidly bringing economies on entire continents to a standstill: pandemics, volcanic eruptions and the Mongols. And in all three cases, once they've swept over, there's nothing you can do but pick up the pieces later.

In the short term, this will make 2008 look like a wild economic success, and there's a good chance the sheer GDP loss exceeds 1929-1933, but all's not lost long-term. Governments are in a unique position at the moment, as they can effectively get free money, via two methods:

- One, because inflation isn't going to even the slightest concern (and indeed, the biggest worry for the next 18 months will be a deflationary spiral), they can simply print a lot of the stuff without too much problem. Use that money to pay generous wage/business supports in order to prevent mass defaults. Pay people and businesses, in effect, to stay home. If we get to the point where inflation becomes an issue, that's okay! We know how to control inflation fairly well these days, and that indicates that things are healthy again.

- Two, bond yields are such that a lot of governments can, for all intents and purposes, get money for nothing. A 3-year US Treasury bond pays out 0.41%; a 10-year US Treasury bond pays out 0.92%; unless things go hideously pear-shaped for a long time, both of those are below the inflation rate, so the money paid at the end of the bond period is going to be worth less than the money used to buy them in the first place. The problem with accruing debt is the bit where you have to pay a bunch more back at some point. Right now, financial institutions are so happy to have a somewhat stable asset to sit on that they're willing to get sweet **** all back in the end. I'm generally not an evangelist for taking on loads of debt, but where you're effectively being paid to take someone's money, that isn't a bad time to do so.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    MIsaints and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  13. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Can't sleep. Been out for a walk in the cold dark streets. Something rather comforting about nobody being around. But you can feel the illness lurking behind the walls.

14. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I had asked to be banned so not sure what happened there .

Anyway while I can still post I would like to say the following .

A total apology without hesitation to Schad . What I said about you was unforgivable.

sorry to Chilco as well .

Seeing all the advice everywhere I won’t be seeing my Mum today . As I am vulnerable I will be staying at home .

Mrs J will see her as we have done a lot of shopping for her , but my mum will be in the front room while Mrs J brings the food in and leaves .

Hard decision but I am certain I’m far from the only one .

Stay safe everyone .

15. Libby

Libby 9-0

All the best Jasper mate. You stay safe too x

16. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

You also take care buddy :emoticon-0148-yes:

17. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Just spoke to my mum and she nearly broke down because she is relieved .

Bloody women <laugh>

18. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Do we think it is an idea to be open on here about who may be vulnerable in our respective areas and offer support if we are able to?

I’m happy to go first. I live in Basingstoke, am not in a vulnerable age group and relative healthy. If people in my area need support, I am happy to see what I can do.

Would a stickied thread be useful, for people to ask for help if they need it?

19. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Used to do night walks when I was depressed...it does help...but getting depressed won't help at all. Things are what they are...all we can do is take suggested precautions and wait it out. It will get overwhelming if you dwell too much on it. Easier said than done and I know many are under greater threat than me, but as someone who has suffered depression, I can tell you that is not the route to take.

20. Libby

Libby 9-0

It's almost as important as everything else that we take extra steps to try and maintain our mental health in what's going to be a tough time for many.