1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Without wishing to make this political, the (non) use of masks in this country is, in my opinion, based around the views of the Conservative party, and Boris in particular, that they are 'The Freedom Party', and have deep philosophical objections to telling anyone that they have to do things, because 'we told you to'. They want to avoid the 'Nanny State' at all costs.
    Boris wants there to be freedom of choice, expecting everyone to 'do the right thing', as opposed to enforcing anything. This is all well and good, but most people opt for the simplest course of action. In this particular situation, the simplest course of action is not to put a mask on.

2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

UK Covid deaths are increasing again with concerns being raised by some over the speed at which the booster jab is being rolled out. NHS England are saying that those invited to have a third jab don’t seem to be in any rush to have it, which is why it isn’t rolling out as quickly as they would like. Apparently there will be an advertising campaign at the weekend to raise awareness.
    If you had the AZ vaccine, your immunity could be down to 67% after 4 months or so, with Pfizer being slightly higher, so if I get the chance of a booster I will be taking it.
    There are a growing number of children being infected, so it is a good thing that from half term 12-15 year olds will be able to book a jab online, which will hopefully help bring the infection rate down in their age groups.
    And on top of this there now appears to be another variant of Covid that is being referred to as Delta Plus.
    Oh and despite this, SAGE will now be meeting every month instead of every week.

garysfc and StJabbo1 like this.
  3. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

What I am surprised about with regard to the new Delta variation, St Badger, is that this mutation of concern is the second one to frighten scientists that has originated from the UK. The ifection rate in the Uk is ten times that of the nearest infectious country in Europe (Germany) and this seems to underscore the fact that are have been much to cavalier in how we have managed the pandemic. I just feel that the Govt has been irreseponsible in loosening the restrictions and allowed people to get complacent. The rest of Europe must be sick and tired of the way we have managed things and how we have made matters worse for much of the continent.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

5. Libby

Libby 9-0

The amount of people seemingly desperate for another lockdown is absolutely baffling. Completely mental.

6. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

One could say the same about the number of people willing to create the conditions in which a lockdown would be unavoidable. I'd argue that group is much, much larger than the group of people who actually *want* a lockdown (which is a very small group indeed).

milton archer likes this.
  7. Libby

Libby 9-0

Well I don't think it'll work personally. The authorities have lost the trust and patience of the population, for various reasons, and I don't think people will comply like they did last year.

I certainly won't be telling my 7 year old that he can't hug his grandmother or play 'it' with his friends again.

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I shouldn't say unavoidable, really. In the event that health care capacity is exceeded by demand, there is actually a very easy way for most of the population to continue on as normal without bearing enormous costs from the actions of others: refuse all medical care for individuals with COVID who are not fully vaccinated. ICUs need not fear about being stretched to the breaking point, and thus the vaccinated need not concern themselves with altering their own actions to accommodate a very silly and very loud minority that are prolonging this. Thousands -- probably tens of thousands -- of unvaccinated people with treatable cases of COVID will die, but that's a choice they have made.

You in?

9. Libby

Libby 9-0

Bit of a slippery slope. May as well stop treating cancer for smokers and red meat eaters? Also stop any obese people having medical treatment too? They'd both be big winners too.

Bit of a strawman argument though imo. I'm pretty sure there's an inbetween and I don't believe the NHS is any real danger of becoming overwhelmed if we don't go back into lockdown. Hearing the NHS shout crisis is hardly unusual for this time of year.

Infact, I'd go as far as saying that if another lockfown is required then the vaccine isn't as effective as has been said.

10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Anyway, not interested in a long debate on it. What will be will be I suppose. Like I say it won't affect me much as I have no intention of adhering to another lockdown.

tomw24 likes this.

11. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

That really doesn't make any sense. The percentage of vaccinated people who end up in ICUs is very low. The percentage of unvaccinated people who end up in ICUs is much, much higher. The vaccine is not causing unvaccinated people to become very ill.

And I'm afraid that it's no longer a slippery slope theoretical, it's a debate that absolutely has to be had if we're dead-set against any further lockdowns or restrictions. A number of other locales that were dead-set against lockdowns ultimately had to ration care, and that's long after the vaccine became available. So in the event that health care is overwhelmed, it's merely a question of whether those who die unnecessarily is left up to chance, or we decide who it will be.

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

13. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

Cases have been going up and down for months. There was no clamour for more restrictions or anything then.

What's different about this one? They could just as easily start falling again in a week or so, as has been the trend.

Bill Gates met Boris and the queen this week. Probably to give out the next stage and further instructions of the pandemic. Probably a coincidence that the media pressure ramped up a day later. (AND YES, I AM JOKING ON THIS PART)

14. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I have tp say that I think the scientists are right to be cautious. Boris made the same error last winter and did nt change his tune unitl it was too late. I don't think the schools going back have helped. Simple stuff like wearing a mask will have a good effect. Noticeable how few people seem to be applying this rule at the moment. I would suggest it is worthwhile reminding people that the scientists have always said it will be five years before the Covid situation has wound itself down.

15. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It does look inevitable that face masks will become mandatory and vaccine passports brought in for large events and nightclubs.

16. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Flights from/to the Netherlands also stopped.
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/...-to-the-netherlands-as-a-coronavirus-measure/
    "The official Dutch travel advice for Morocco is amber, which means the country should only be visited for essential business, not for holidays. Nevertheless, according to the AD, many Dutch people are in the country because of the half term holidays."
    More fool those that have travelled and get stuck they get no sympathy from me.

Similar attitude from the Dutch government. There is a corona pass requirement in place but many venues don't implement it.
    https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/...winter-curfews-despite-coroanvirus-case-rise/
    "The Netherlands abandoned most coronavirus measures on September 25, including social distancing. Since then, the number of infections has soared, rising 44% in the past week alone.

We've been thinking about a visit but the current infection rates scotch any plans with more travel restrictions likely.

There are other options to a full lockdown, masks, distancing, avoiding crowds, vaccine passports, working at home if possible, good ventilation and having respect for vulnerable people. It's not always obvious that someone (me) has underlying health issues which make any respiratory disease a danger.

17. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

The bellendery is real....

18. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The Mendip and Sedgemoor districts of Somerset have escaped the worst of the pandemic until these last few weeks, but now we're among the highest infection rates in the country. The problem seems to be that the immunity in the double-vaccinated begins to decline after a few months, and the booster jab isn't being rolled out fast enough. I kind of agree that many people wouldn't comply with another lockdown, but it would be relatively easy to insist on lesser measures, like wearing masks indoors, which most people other than the pathologically selfish would be OK with.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

And not before time.

tiggermaster and StJabbo1 like this.
  20. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

As my dear sweet granny would say
    "someone left the gate to the **** farm open"