1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong StJabbo1. I understand that they work at lowering the chances of transmission. My point is the effectiveness differs depending on what article you read. That may go some way to explaining some people's view that they aren't effective

2. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Good point <applause>

Ian Thumwood likes this.
  3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

There's plenty of people, certainly some of my friends over, here that believe what suits their social agenda.

steve79 and Le Tissier’s Laces like this.
  4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

This thread from the FT is well worth a look, and backs up what we have been saying about wearing masks. If you have Twitter, please have a look:

davecg69 and San Tejón like this.
  5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

And to add to that. Guess which of the following countries doesn’t have strong controls on the wearing of masks?
    This refers to last Friday, but I believe the UK has had in excess of 40000 new Covid cases for 5 consecutive days.

upload_2021-10-18_11-40-33.jpeg

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

In fairness it's far too simplistic to suggest that as a direct correlation from those numbers. The biggest reason for the discrepancy is that we unlocked far earlier than most.

7. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Other countries unlocked too. They just maintained stricter controls, especially with regards to mask wearing indoors and on public transport.
    I went into a supermarket yesterday, wearing a mask, and was being stared at by some shoppers because I was very much in the minority.
    The government got it wrong, again.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  8. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

They are more likely staring at you as your are riding through Aldi on your high horse.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  9. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

We have a problem at the University where I work in that a large % of students are ignoring the university "request" that they wear masks in certain areas like lecture halls, shops and other indoor spaces which has resulted in quite a large number of students not attending lectures because for various reasons they feel at risk among large numbers of unmasked people. The student union and administration are in a terrible position because all they can do is ask people to follow the issued guidelines but not enforce them.
    I wear a mask because I'm likely to catch covid due to my job role forcing me into situations where lots of people meet in enclosed spaces at the uni. I therefore wear one so that if I get it, I'm less likely to spread it around. I only test twice a week so I could be walking around for 3 days inadvertently spreading it around.
    I don't care what anybody else thinks about me wearing a mask when I'm not forced too by law as I'm pretty thick skinned, but I'll still try to do what I can to limit the impact I have regarding spreading the virus.

People may have plenty of reasons for not wanting to wear a mask, but it seems a small sacrifice to pop one on for 5 minutes when you whip round aldi. It's certainly not going add to covid infection numbers by wearing a mask, so it just seems wrong not to try and limit your personal role in spreading the virus around.

It is a free country though, relatively speaking so I can only steer by my own moral compass not force others into following a course that they don't want to.

10. Negative Creep

I totally agree with people wearing masks btw, I think people should be wearing them, and I do when in shops, supermarkets etc.

I popped out yesterday to pick up some spuds and had forgotten my mask, and had no spares in the Bentley, and I felt not right going in bare so to speak. I wear a mask for my protection and that of others, and my surprise came from Badger suggesting people are staring at him for wearing one.

I mean it is months after they stopped being mandatory, and I haven’t seen anyone behaving badly towards people wearing them, and considering the thick skin he has on this and the Politics thread I thought it surprising.

It is a tough measure in Unis etc about wearing one being mandatory or not, now I may be wrong but thought it is still up to the discretion if a Uni wanted to fully impose this, I’ve been in certain shops where masks are mandatory for example and people respect that.

I do feel for you though having to be exposed daily with the group of people with the highest rates of infections, can’t be easy and think I’d be terrified, I’m lucky I have worked at home virtually daily since the pandemic.

Stay safe…

StJabbo1 and Schrodinger's Cat like this.

11. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks Billy. I'm a tad immuno compromised atm so It's tricky at times.
    I laughed at your comment about high horse, but didn't "like" it because I kind of know where Badger is coming from about feeling a little paranoid when you find your in a minority at times.
    Was funny though <laugh>

12. Negative Creep

Well let’s hope the germs stay away from you then, it isn’t right someone going to work and wondering how sick they may get.

Im usually in the minority on this Board, you get used to it so it hardly notices after a while :emoticon-0136-giggl

And who is this Billy you speak of :emoticon-0127-lipss

13. oakley1

oakley1 Member

I walked into a Indian restaurant to collect a takeaway on Friday wearing my mask and I got some strange looks from a family on one table. I felt a little uncomfortable although all the staff were wearing masks. I was glad when my wife came in wearing her mask.

14. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Just a thought (and not just you but the others who’ve said similar); possible that it’s just a tad paranoia? They could be looking & thinking, ah poor sole, he/she is one of the more vulnerable group & actually have compassion for you?

Negative Creep likes this.
  15. StJabbo1

Is that an impoverished Dover sole?

16. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Billy the popular I think his name was <whistle>

Negative Creep likes this.
  17. Libby

Libby 9-0

No where near as recently though. Other countries haven't been going to full pubs and nightclubs for 3 months have they?

I agree that masks should have been kept btw but it's not as simple as saying as that's the only reason we have more cases than other nations at this moment of time because there are lots of factors.

I actually think the problem with ending mask wearing comes from the knock on effect of people taking less care elsewhere rather than the actual masks themselves. Wrong message to send at that time imo and they should have been kept until Spring next year.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  18. StJabbo1

AberdeenSaint and garysfc like this.
  19. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

<laugh>:emoticon-0148-yes:

20. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

With the elderly largely vaccinated, COVID is increasingly a disease that kills those who believe themselves too healthy to be affected, and thus to get vaccinated. Public perception of the effects of the virus hasn't really caught up with the actual affects of the virus.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021