1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

So, when I return from Spain, 7th October, I no longer need to do an antigen test before boarding the plane BUT I do still have to do the more expensive PCR test on Day 2 after my arrival, despite being double jabbed and despite the fact that the government are looking at changing the Day 2 test to an antigen test “at the end of Octoberish”.
    The only reason I can see for not immediately changing to a Day 2 antigen test, for those who are double jabbed, is profit for those doing the tests, at vastly different costs.

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

RIP Boycie.

San Tejón likes this.
  3. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Eldest grandchild started comprehensive school 10 days aged 11. Has tested positive, first and second tests.. grist to the mill... happily not too many nasties, but having to quaratine in a house with younger brother and parents. Chaos, we can't help.. seems 11 to 15 year olds are not even numbers, just ushered into the lottery of herd immunity..

4. Libby

Libby 9-0

So only double jabbed will be able to do nice things from today right?

Oh wait, appears it was just scare tactics. Who saw that coming?

Lemons and Oranges likes this.
  5. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

It appears that supporters need to be 'double jabbed', or have proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test, or be willing to take a Lateral Flow Test, before being allowed into Stamford Bridge for the Chelsea game tomorrow. Whether or not this equates to Saints fans being 'able to do nice things' will depend on the result.

6. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It was also announced that, if the government shifts to Plan B owing to increased caseloads in autumn, mandatory proof of vaccination is likely.

7. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Someone I work with told me you can buy negative test results or a vaccine passport for £30. He does live in Scotland though

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Doing that is lowest of the low in my book because you* are giving false reassurance to other people...a perpetrator is really demonstrating how little he cares about other people compared to himself. Borderline sociopath.

*Generic you...not meaning Saintmagic

davecg69, SaintStu, StJabbo1 and 2 others like this.
  9. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

If not covered by existing legislation it has to be ASAP with stiff penalties for offenders.

davecg69 likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

The care home where my wife works has, for the first time in the whole pandemic, been struck. They currently have 7 cases, including a carer who decided not to have her second jab. Stopping it spreading around the whole home is a nightmare as people with dementia forget they are supposed to stay in their rooms!

11. San Tejón

A very difficult time for all.
    I hope your wife and everyone else comes through it safely.

12. San Tejón

My youngest son tested positive for Covid, Thursday.
    He thought he had a cold, but did a lateral flow test which showed as positive, later confirmed by a PCR test at a walk in clinic/testing station.
    He’s double jabbed and symptoms are minimal so far. Hope it stays that way.

I did my Day 2 PCR test this morning, following my return from Spain. Posted off and now await the result.

Also played poo sticks, this morning, or as the NHS like to call it, participation in the Bowel Cancer Screening Programme :emoticon-0105-wink:.

13. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

I know everyone is bored of the pandemic now but the 4th wave is well under way. 45,000 new cases yesterday, and 157 deaths. My wife’s care home has now had 3 Covid deaths in the last few days, including yesterday a lady who was a good friend of ours before dementia took her into the home. These are the first Covid deaths of the entire pandemic in this particular care home, all staff and patients have been double-vaccinated, and the staff have started having boosters. Currently 15 out of 22 patients in my wife’s unit have Covid, plus 3 staff.

The feeling of a few friends who have all had Covid recently but are now recovering is that the extra immunity given by the vaccines may not prevent you catching the virus, but it certainly helps you fight it. As one friend sad, it’s better to have a horrible week or 10 days in your own home than being taken to ICU and put on a ventilator, where you might well catch a dose of MRSA anyway.

So please, everyone, get yourselves vaccinated, and please don’t stand next to me in a shop without a mask on, as more and more people seem to think is OK nowadays. It ****ing well isn’t.

14. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

I wear a mask in shops and crowded places as they do have an effect on the transmission rate. Small price to pay for less people getting infected

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
  15. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Yes they do, you are completely wrong. They stop aerosols from being breathed over other people in casual contact. One of the main reasons for the appalling rate of infection in this country over others is our completely random enforcement of mask-wearing.

16. ChilcoSaint

Forum Moderator

Just heard a 4th patient has died this morning :(

17. StJabbo1

Yes they do, to put it politely you're talking bollocks.
    upload_2021-10-15_14-31-3.png

18. San Tejón

I have recently returned from 6 weeks in Spain and the wearing of masks on public transport and in shops, bars and restaurants is still mandatory, the latter 2 allow you to remove the mask when seated at your table.
    Even outside, in busy places such as markets, masks are mandatory IF you cannot maintain safe distancing.
    It is only now that bars and restaurants can fully utilise all their interior space and I think, from today, airport terminals are allowing access to people other than those flying or working there.
    Spain is still trying to stay on top of the virus and stop it from getting out of control again.
    During my stay, I even saw two people being evicted from a beach because they had entered the beach by a closed route and not been allowed on by a “beach monitor” whose role was to ensure the beach was never overcrowded and that visitors, other than when going to the water or for drinks etc, stayed inside their roped off 2 metre square.
    Covid hasn’t gone away and everybody still has a part to play in safeguarding the most vulnerable.

19. StJabbo1

My invitation for flu and pneumonia vaccinations at the end of the month arrived today, CV booster to follow. Attention is drawn to the CV regs masks and distancing in the building is mandatory.

It's being reported that many bars and restaurants aren't following the QR code. https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/...s-breaking-the-coronavirus-check-rules-nu-nl/ The approach in Rotterdam and Eindhoven, where wrist bands are given to people at their first coronavirus check, so they can move from bar to bar without having to continually show QR codes, is proving successful.
    However, infection rates are rising so we're erring on the side of caution avoiding crowds, wearing masks indoors and steering clear of the coronaloons. https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/...-concern-most-hospital-patients-unvaccinated/
    I like the Spanish approach as described by St Bad, to many here have a flippant attitude.

San Tejón and ChilcoSaint like this.
  20. steve79

steve79 Well-Known Member

Yeah that's putting it politely. These mask have a modest effect at best. I grant you that a modest effect is better than no effect on transmission. But people saying they stop the spread are just wrong. If you or ChilcoSaint can show me any evidence that I'm wrong or "talking bollox" I'm all ears .......