1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

A great many of us are going to die thanks to Spaffer Johnson.

I am appalled that more is not being done to protect the children given the amount of effort that went into protecting us old gits.

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  2. SAINTOSPREY

SAINTOSPREY Well-Known Member

I have come to the conclusion that Isolating is only delaying the inevitable, it's not IF you will be affected, but when and how bad it will be, getting jabs can help to make it weaker but won't prevent the chance of infection in the long run, in my opinion.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

4. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Mild symptoms so it looks like the vaccine is doing its job. It was never going to be the case that vaccination would prevent people from catching it.
    What it does mean though is that the isolating of the infected and any close contacts needs to continue

5. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think we have to try and get used to the idea it isn't going away like the various forms of Flu and we have to learn to live with it . Keeping on.locking down is surely as has been mentioned previously delaying the inevitable ?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
  6. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Vaccinated people can get infected, but rarely infect others, so if you have enough vaccinated people it will largely go away. Getting second doses to the approx. 16% of the population who have had one dose will improve things, as will getting a vaccine dose approved for kids.

We're getting there. And yeah, at this point, I think carrots and sticks to get people vaccinated will be more effective than lockdowns, but it appears that the government isn't particularly interested in that.

7. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

I’m not sure how many people will vaccinate their children.

I’m not so sure i would be rushing to get my children vaccinated any time soon.

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Why? Your kids presumably already get vaccinated for a couple dozen other diseases and disease categories.

9. Negative Creep

Personal choice, I think they are too young and are so unlikely to be affected just now.

I don't believe nearly enough is known about the vaccines and possibilities of complications now and in the future.

The other vaccines they have received have had many decades of research & development. Covid vaccines were rushed through in record breaking time, and whilst I have had to have vaccines myself, i'm not going to inflict that on my children.

I can respect others that do, I guess it is a personal choice.

10. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I mean, they're currently studying the vaccine pretty thoroughly: that's why it hasn't been approved for young children yet.

And the comment about not knowing the possibilities of complications applies in even greater measure to the disease itself. We already know that people, including children, sometimes suffer long-term symptoms from COVID, and it happens with a far greater frequency than complications from the vaccine in adults (we're talking a factor of 1000 or more).

11. Negative Creep

Yeah, I can see some sense in that and will listen to the details when more reports are available, but like I said, I have no issues if people want to vaccinate their children, I wont be one of those just yet.

Didnt 0.005% of death in England account for children?

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Absolutely. The people who wouldn’t get their children vaccinated against whooping cough, or get them the MMR vaccine, because there was a very slight chance the vaccine would have side effects, neglected to notice that whooping cough, measles, mumps, and rubella all pose a much greater risk to long term health.

It’s true we don’t know enough about the long term effects of either Covid or the vaccines, but we do know that some children have developed an illness similar to Kawasaki Disease following Covid, while a large number of younger adults have long Covid.

I have 2 grandchildren, and I hope they both get the vaccine as soon as possible.

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  13. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

If Sajid is using the NHS App, wouldn't this identify other members of The Cabinet, the government, anyone attending parliament in person, and many senior civil servants, as having been in relatively close contact with Mr Javid? Will any/all of them be asked to isolate, or will they play the 'Important Role' card, and go for Gove's cop out after his Chelsea trip, by having daily tests? Cynical? Moi?

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Eventually vaccinations against Covid and other Coronaviruses will be given routinely with other jabs. By that stage more will be known about side effects and how to alleviate any risk (which is already low).

15. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

This may be repeating old/incorrect news, but I am reliably informed that adding lemon juice (or vinegar, or probably many other acidic fluids) to the testing liquid of a Lateral Flow Test will generate a positive result, so schoolchildren have taken to doctoring their tests, in order to return a positive reading, thus giving them time off school. Of course, us adults would never stoop so low...

16. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah there's absolutely no way I'd be having my 6/7 year old jabbed. Absolute crazy talk imo.

Pretty much back to normal today <diva>

17. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Not for me, we still have to wear masks all day and social distance.

18. Ivan Golac's shoe laces

Ivan Golac's shoe laces Active Member

I work in a hospice , so no change for me at all today or in the immediate future and that feels right.

19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I still will be at work and will wear a mask elsewhere as well, but I'm looking forward to being able to meet more than 5 other people. Nan turned 80 during lockdown so booked for all family to go for a meal later this week.

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Good luck imposing vaccine passports on the citizens of France. This will be a disaster, believe me. You think Americans distrust their government? Have you ever been to France? Do you talk to French people regularly? (I do. My partner is French)