1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To be fair, the theme song or NHS anthem would be alright if Dido did it.

2. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Dido is a lot easier to say than Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong. I'd probably spit me teeth out trying.

4. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Whilst Johnson is looking at the figures to see when he can open up the economy again, this is how Australia deals with 1 case of Covid brought in from New Zealand.

upload_2021-1-25_16-49-52.jpeg

StJabbo1, davecg69 and ChilcoSaint like this.
  6. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

Just got back from my mid-quarantine test. I’ve now been tested three times in the past 9 days. One more to go next week!

7. StJabbo1

Which test are you having SiK?

8. saintrichie123

Michael Adebowale one of Lee Rigbys convicted killers ........is very ill with covid in broadmoor prison hospital.
    Shouldn’t really say this but ......good.

9. 9043graham

9043graham Well-Known Member

Sadly a friend's mum lost her battle against covid todsy and had her machines turned off. A good person who was actively involved in the community......that vile prick will pull through, just you watch.

10. saintrichie123

Very sorry to hear your friends mum lost her battle today :(
    Regarding the lowlife, the report said he was on oxygen and not far from being put on a ventilator.........but after the misery and pain he caused to Lee and his loved ones ...........I hope karma prevails.

9043graham and davecg69 like this.

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I read that Lee Rigby’s mother hoped for the opposite and that the guy didn’t get to die yet.

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

EU getting upset about Astra Zeneca vaccine supplies....they don’t believe the story about production problems reducing their allocation by 60%. Talk of banning export to non-EU countries without consultation...could mean us or the US. Sound like they suspect being outbid...or are trying to explain their poor vaccination rate.

13. StJabbo1

Who is paying what for vaccines? I think I've read from various sources the EU were paying less.
    My experience in pharmaceutical production plant design leads me to believe a shutdown may well be needed to implement upgraded production. Debottlenecking is often required in new product lines. Did I see a shortage of glass vials reported? It's often a number of factors that limit supply. No doubt the tabloids will have a field day with any perceived EU shortcomings. It does seem several countries, including here in the Netherlands, have lagged in the vaccines roll out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  14. San Tejón

I am sure that the Belgian factory announced that they were implementing upgrades, as you have said, so hopefully that will ease matters.
    I previously put on here about the shortage of bottles causing issues with supply, as no government had planned for it, which was an own goal caused by the lack of foresight by all nations.
    A week or so ago, Spain announced that they now had a company producing bottles for the vaccine that is waiting to be bottled, but the speed of the machinery at the point of bottling the vaccine is key to getting the supplies out more quickly.

With regards to the possibility of supplies being cut, what I have read is that the EU will require “early notification” (whatever that means) of supplies being sent to non EU countries, but no mention of supplies being cut, whilst Astra Zeneca has told the EU that their order WILL be cut by up to 50% by the end of March, as a result of the production problems.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  15. San Tejón

Reports I have read says that it has “some” effectiveness against the South African variety, but laboratory tests are showing that there is a six fold reduction in neutralising antibodies produced against the SA variety.
    Hopefully tests are being done on the other vaccines to test if the same loss of protection is evident against the new strain, so that the right instructions for safeguarding the public can be given.

StJabbo1 and davecg69 like this.
  16. San Tejón

17. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

18. saintrichie123

19. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

They don’t do anything apart from the nasal swab PCR here. Tickle your brain through your nose and get a result in one or two days. They were using the testing kits in the early days but then after they weren’t coming out accurately enough, they decided to essentially force every private medical lab in the country to aid in processing the tests. They said if you don’t do what we want, we won’t renew your licenses to operate. I think even the early holdouts against that policy have given in now. Got the testing capacity up to about 10-15,000 a day. It’s not much, but it’s a very small country of about 4-5m people.

Got a text a little while ago to say it’s normal but I’m still to quarantine for another week. The cases of imported variants that have been discovered here have all been in people who already did two weeks quarantine following travel and tested negative during that time, only to develop symptoms on day 17 or 18 after travel. Now it’s possible that they just weren’t honest about their adherence to processes but who knows. Kuwait also just said any commercial flight coming in is only allowed to have a max of 30 people on it. That’s a ****ing nightmare so I’m super glad that everyone I work with made it in before that changed. Most routes in are sold out through to the end of February now!

20. StJabbo1

That's good, I'm concerned the fast test has/will be used in the wrong situations e.g. schools testing when there is a likely hood of inaccurate results giving a false sense of wellbeing and accelerating transmission. The 1/18 day symptom development is concerning.

Mass vaccination together with an accurate and reliable test, trace and isolate program plus ongoing treatment advances is the way forward to gaining some control. Has to be a combination of those as well as using masks, distancing and hygene.