1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Saintalona

Saintalona Well-Known Member

I broke so many joysticks playing that game...

2. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

My parents live in the middle of nowhere. The first confirmed cases in the province were, naturally, friends of theirs who live one street over. Vigilance is going to be the key here, because we do effectively have to treat everyone we meet as a potential carrier.

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  3. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Funnily enough I was just going to post the very same thing!

TheSecondStain likes this.
  4. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Grand National's gone. :(

5. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Going to be such a boring next few months thats for sure.

6. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

7. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

My workplace (public sector) have been stubbornly following government advice to continue business as usual and wash your hands regularly the past week. We’re now officially working from home for the foreseeable as of tomorrow duly in line with what Boris has just said.

What I find strange is we had one of the first confirmed cases in the UK working in our building during the initial outbreak. And we continued BAU until now, who knows how many of us will be carriers now.

8. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths

The seemingly-stupid UK 'herd immunity' strategy? Turns out that it wasn't some galaxy-brained idea that was ahead of the curve. Turns out they just don't know what the **** they are doing, and the strategy badly underestimated the sheer volume of people that would need to be treated at the same time.

9. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to fit in any category, but today has really wound me up. I sent my kids off to school to mingle with 400 others. My in-laws (who live close by) went to a funeral with about fifty over 60's in the afternoon. My mrs went for a pub lunch with a friend at a busy local. And I've been told to shut down and stay at home because I was in the company of two people at one time at work today! I'm really struggling with the misinformation. I just want them to put us on lock down so we all know where we stand.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I’m going to do something I hardly ever do, and give the government a bit of a pass for today. Yes, they have been very slow to react to this threat, and failed on lots of counts to address the issues. But they do seem to be making the correct decisions now, and I think it will be a matter of days before the lockdown is complete. Businesses will be told to shut down, as will schools and all other organisations not essential for maintaining the health and welfare of the country.

I know there is a massive empty goalmouth waiting for people to score political goals against Boris & co., but I think the situation is similar to being in a state of war, where national unity is paramount. Let’s get through this before we start the inquests on how they have handled this.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Agree with both of you.

We need decisions, and OMG Boris is making it easy to lay blame. Blame though is for later. A lot later.

Now is for the British version of singing on the balcony and coming together.

#TogetherAsOne
    #WeMarchOn

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I’m going to swerve social media for a while, bunker down with the missus and just try and get one source of news per day to stay informed (most likely Reuters).

I shall leave this in passing though - ignore the initial silly bit, this is a great message.
    Stay safe everyone x

13. Paddy Podped

Paddy Podped Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting the whole nation joins in with a rousing chorus of

'Pompey get battered, 4-0 at home.....' ?

Certainly lifted my spirits at the Newcastle game :)

14. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

I repair MRI machines. Luckily I'm not in high risk category, but still seems a bit barmy. I wouldnt mind if it was urgent, but I'm still being sent on routine jobs <laugh>

Stay safe though mate, now is the time to be careful.

Libby likes this.
  15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

We're in lockdown where I am currently with all business and establishments forced to close. And yet my girlfriend still managed to get her car clamped. God bless the brave, selfless souls who are continuing to work through this disaster. <laugh>

16. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

All unnecessary social contact. Whatever that actually means.

17. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Most contact is unnecessary most of the time I would think. Though if someone passes out you should probably still put them in the recovery position.

This is going to sound hypocritcal, but the roads didn't seem any less busy than normal this morning. However it may be that most people are doing what I'm doing, driving into work for a meeting this morning where I assume we will all be told to work from home from now on and take home everything I need to be able to do so. In theory the office side of my job can be done from home, but in practice there is going to be a lot of people trying to use the same programmes as me to log into the system remotely and I don't think it will cope.

Archers Road likes this.
  18. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

I worked from home for the first 6 weeks of the year, and had a mental breakdown which I am still suffering the effects of ... so I'm carrying on as normal as I can possibly be, or as long as I possibly can.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  19. mustyfrog

mustyfrog Well-Known Member

I assume you are mostly in the UK, over here in Australia unnecessary gatherings over 500 are banned. Airports, public trnsport, schools etc are deemed necessary, sporting events, concerts are not

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, isolation is not all that great for us humans, psychologically or spiritually; we are meant to stay connected. So while it is possible to argue that “all social contact is unnecessary”, that really isn’t true at all.

Try to remember that, whatever happens, you are not alone. We really are all in this together. And if you do become physically isolated, use the phone.