1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Its not that extreme to be honest sure it happens more than any of us even realise. There dosent seem to be any logic in how hes organised the tiers though. Exeter for example is in tier 1 but has a much higher covid rate than Bolton which is in tier 2. Were doomed basically ,doomed.

2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Good luck with it all, can't say it's much, if any, better over here. The government wear wooden shoes to stop the woodpeckers attaching their heads. Poor guidance, little policing of regulations, no comprehensive test and trace, the app doesn't work Besides that there's conspiraloons like Willem Engle and his virus truthers. https://northerntimes.nl/groningen-professor-sounds-alarm-over-coronavirus-skeptics/ Stay safe all.

3. SaintStu

SaintStu Well-Known Member

As many has said, it is much simpler, easier to enforce and have greater cooperation if everyone is treated equally, and I think a two week complete shutdown could have the majority behind it as it has a clear start and end.
    Personally I think three weeks would be a safer period.
    However the government have to make it difficult so that they can blame others when it goes wrong again.

4. sotonsaint

The list of people left to blame must be getting towards the end now surely? Cant be to many more to tick off.

5. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

Tories accusing Starmer of political opportunism - because he wants to follow the science.

6. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

And because he’s a politician.

Interesting that this government, who’ve already done more than any other to degrade their profession, should use it as an insult.

7. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

And this ladies and gentlemen will cause yet another spike no doubt <doh>

8. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

Absolutely shocking and selfish in the extreme and showing no concern for the sick, the vulnerable, the elderly or our medical people. Young people today have it all and are the biggest whingers I know. I am off to my solicitor to rewrite my will leaving all my worldly wealth to a well known charity. They should be able to feed a dog for a few weeks with what I have in my Post Office Savings Account.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. sotonsaint

What did you expect ? The lockdown didnt come into play until today. Dont blame them , blame Boris and his brigade of clowns.

AberdeenSaint and ChilcoSaint like this.
  10. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of Starmer, at the moment.
    I think he has been playing the “give them enough rope to hang themselves” game, by not over contesting the government’s covid decisions for fear of being accused of being political, but in this case I think he is on the money.
    The government is not just ignoring the advice from SAGE, they aren’t even offering to help those in the most vulnerable groups, saying that they should continue to work, even if they are in a Tier 3 region.
    143 deaths Monday and the upsurge in covid admissions to hospital, the majority being elderly, demands a better response from the government.

davecg69 likes this.

11. Farked19

He's a canny lawyer. He has sat back while the defendant has given his evidence whilst noting the flaws in the case for the defence. Now he has amassed enough he is going in for the kill. Pfeffel is totally fecked now, caught between the science and those who don't care how many die just as long as their shares don't take a hit.

12. Archers Road

I think there was a genuine willingness on the part of the leader of the opposition, to unite behind the government in a time of national crisis. But Bozo and the rest of the circus has made such a hash of literally every decision, that it’s no longer possible or credible to stand behind them.

13. Farked19

I have absolutely no doubt that it is a piece of political opportunism. But that isn't the reason that Starmer has done it. He has genuinely flagged up the following the science and the spin off is that there is a political win for him and damage to Pfeffel.

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

What is the science? You could find a group of scientists to support any action. Not that there aren't facts...there are...but after that, there are opinions and crystal ball gazing. And people seem to ignore the fact that most European countries are expecting trouble and have made mistakes...and have changed decisions as they have gone along.

And anyone who thinks the government doesn't care about death rates is quite frankly prejudiced by their political views...politicians are human. However, there are other issues that can't be ignored....the economy may come second, but it is a close second because lives are being damaged by factors other than Covid.

garysfc likes this.
  15. Farked19

The science - as defined by the government themselves please note - is the advice offered by SAGE. And ignored because of the potential adverse effects on the personal fortunes of many Tory MP's, their friends and political donors.

SaintStu, davecg69 and StJabbo1 like this.
  16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

And re the Liverpool street parties....if I was told there was a shutdown coming because of an outbreak of a serious disease, my first thought would be that I should increase vigilance...it wouldn't be to party, because it must be safe before the arbitrary date set by the government.

17. Farked19

Straw man argument. Whataboutery.

18. Archers Road

Don’t assume that everyone is as cynical as you.

19. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

So where do we start? With Cheltenham, Liverpool. vs Atletico, the rugby, Johnson's gung ho handshaking boast (that went well didn't it?) Add the number of high profile floutings of the regulations as an example and what do you expect? The deserved two fingers of scorn from those partying in the street and elsewhere. We have erred on the side of caution avoiding crowds leaving any situation whenever we've felt uneasy. We'll be in this **** for the foreseeable future, normal Christmas my arse!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    ChilcoSaint and davecg69 like this.
  20. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member