1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

One good thing though is that the government cannot blame the previous government for the underfunding in the NHS

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  2. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

3. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

After you, mate <laugh>

Archers Road and Kaito like this.
  4. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

5. saintrichie123

Unfortunately I don’t qualify as I have to shield .......but would I if I could? No too scared <cool>

6. saintrichie123

7. San Tejón

That could be a fear for any country, if the lockdown is ended too early, but the USA appears to be showing a level of stupidity that should scare them more than most.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  8. Libby

Libby 9-0

I don't see how we avoid a second wave to be honest, we're not going to be able to stay locked down for 12 months.

9. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

I f****** hate youngsters. <laugh>

Libby likes this.
  10. thereisonlyoneno7

The only way to avoid a second wave and eradicate this forever is for the whole world to enforce a strict lockdown where everything is closed and nobody goes out or interacts with anyone for 3 weeks, if you are ill, tough you stay at home and yet worse.

After three weeks the disease will be gone. But then again maybe half the global population will be too.

..And that is why I never became a doctor or a scientist...or a politician.

Kaito likes this.

11. saintrichie123

Just read elsewhere that Gareth Bale has donated £500,000 to the NHS and in Spain has donated €500,000 to their health system .....if true fair play <applause>

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

We will not be able to move freely without risk until there is a vaccine available to most if not all people. Life will not be the same for at least one year, possibly more. I said right at the beginning of this that I could not see a return to free travel. People will return to work because they have to...but will become insular in the rest of their life. I cannot see myself flying or going on a coach trip in the near future and will probably not go to the theatre, cinema, pub, restaurant or sports event until an effective vaccine is produced. If I’m typical in my age group this will be catastrophic for the holiday industry...especially in the UK. And for pubs reliant on older customers at lunchtime. And compared to other people I know, I’m quite laid back. Things are going to change.

13. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

It’s going to take me ages to stop crossing to the other side of the road to avoid people walking the other way!

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Do you find yourself worried when watching an old tv programme that people aren’t social distancing?

Oh, just me then.

15. thereisonlyoneno7

I have 99.5% of the time of it's all ok and 0.5% of the time of blind panic that this is the new normal. Normally when I am not drinking.

We will get back to normal, but you know what, my priorities in life have changed.

16. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Most countries will have a second and probably even a third wave. It's mostly a question of how large those waves are: if you are able to reduce new cases to a trickle before reopening, you might be able to contain it for a bit before further restrictions need to be put in place, and if you limit internal movement you might be able to get away with regional lockdowns instead of national.

Open too early though, and within two weeks you'll have a significantly more severe problem than previous. The goal is pretty much to have a gentle, reducing waveform, rather than giant whitecaps crashing against the population.

Libby and shoot_spiderman like this.
  17. timatoketchup

timatoketchup Well-Known Member

I just want to go to the pub.

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.
  18. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Corbyn was calling for action and COBRA committee meetings whilst Johnson was swanning off to the country, going to Twickenham, allowing Cheltenham and the likes of Liverpool vs Atletico Madrid (cue BBC news t ten) to go ahead then shaking hands with infected patients, (that went well didn't it?). Still he'll take it on the chin as our loved ones are dying. I believe to that the testing and contact tracing would have been a priority under a Labour regime along with acting on the cygnus report findings. So yes I think Coryn would have done better. What greater experience does the incumbents have? Hancock, Raab, Patel oh and the missing in action Rees Mogg don't inspire confidence. Looking forward, at least parliament is sitting and there's some form of scrutiny.

Kaito and thereisonlyoneno7 like this.
  19. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

I want to go to several pubs and a kebab van.
    please log in to view this image

timatoketchup likes this.
  20. San Tejón

I am extremely worried about the lockdown being ended prematurely, not for myself but for my wife. The fact that the virus could be with us, according to some, for the rest of the year, worries me even more, because that worry will never go away.
    The need for me to protect my wife is my only thought at the moment, which is why I am badgering :emoticon-0105-wink: away to get furloughed.
    On this point my hopes have risen again, because an update on 20th April, has a sentence, to paraphrase “The furlough scheme is intended for businesses whose operations have been greatly affected, HOWEVER ALL EMPLOYERS ARE ELIGIBLE TO USE IT “. I think that now removes my employer’s get out clause, because they have always insisted that it wasn’t open to them.
    My email asking my employer to review the latest information has just been sent.