1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coronavirus: Please use this thread for all COVID19 talk!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

You can't 'cure' a virus.

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Started watching 'Outbreak', but my daughter came in and caught me so had to turn it off.

Outbreak
    gets a lot wrong, but it gets one of the broadest things right. It understands that, in America, one of the biggest threats to public health can be American culture itself.

But no disagreeing with that.

3. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Cure/treatment and vaccine are different. Cure research is using existing drugs some from malaria and HIV possibly in combinations. A C19 vaccines is developed from scratch needing extensive clinical trials before being available for mass use.

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

I just saw Dollys name, started humming 9-5 and wrote some ****.
    I like Dolly.

Archers Road likes this.
  5. StJabbo1

6. StJabbo1

Oh ho ****in ho

7. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I know, I know...should be on the music thread, but I heard Dolly and thought Hello Dolly.

As well as playing the ruler, I am famous for my legendary Louis Armstrong impression too. Maybe the lockdown will entice that out of me too.

Archers Road likes this.
  8. StJabbo1

This performance, when it comes, could go viral!

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  9. ----HistoryRepeating----

Remember that 32 yo doctor who died in Wuhan?

Li Wenliang died after contracting the virus while treating patients in Wuhan.
    Last December he sent a message to fellow medics warning of a virus he thought looked like Sars - another deadly coronavirus.
    But he was told by police to "stop making false comments" and was investigated for "spreading rumours".

I thought that was rather concerning at the time. But now this.

A Chinese doctor who claimed her bosses tried to silence her early warnings about coronavirus appears to have disappeared — stirring fears that she was detained, according to new reports.
    Ai Fen had pointed out cases of the illness to colleagues at Wuhan Central Hospital, eight of whom were reprimanded themselves.

It's hard to believe anything coming out of China at this point.

10. StJabbo1

It's almost as bad as UK government ministers claims as the telegraph and mail recent articles so clearly state.

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

The UK government may have seemed to have been slow getting off the mark. Surely even you would acknowledge they at least are trying to help people get through this at this moment.

12. StJabbo1

When the mail and telegraph slate the government ministers statements then "slow off the mark" is more than kindly, inept also doesn't do justice. "Helping people get through"? Surely that would mean busting a gut to make sure the right equipment is in the hands of staff properly trained and protected together with sufficient tests to avoid unnecessary isolation of critical workers. Deceitful and misleading briefings by ministers are rightly criticised by those you would least expect it from.

Kaito likes this.
  13. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

So you don’t think the ministers are only passing on what they have been told by the so called experts? You don’t think that some things are being exaggerated by the press. You really believe everything the press says that it is not their interpretation of what as been said? I truly think your government bias is getting the better of you.

Velcro Roy likes this.
  14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Almost? It's a hundred times worse.

15. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Really do hope this is true,and we find a cure/vaccine for this terrible virus...

16. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

Not been on here a while.
    But I think its disgraceful that premier league footballers and managers do not seem to be pro actively agreeing substantial pay cuts at this time.

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I mean, you probably can, we just haven't figured it out yet. We'll get there, probably through some mad science with CRISPR, but we just sadly didn't get there fast enough

18. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah you can treat it to relieve the symptoms but it's not a cure as such. You have to let viruses run their course as it's the only way of getting over one.

19. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Well it appears the NHS don't really want an overweight, 62yr old bloke with a dodgy hip on the wards at present (sigh of relief).

So they've redeployed me to be a fetcher/carrier and do essential face to face stuff with the mentally ill vunerable in the community.
    Strange day yesterday. Delivering medication for part of the day, then moving some masks/gloves from one base to another.

My main bit of work was visiting a client placed in a slightly seedy looking hotel which houses several homeless/metally ill people. He's ok-ish if bemused by the current situation, after all he's spent the last decade telling us all the world was about to end and the government wanted to take away all our rights. It's difficult to interact with some clients at present as they really don't get social distancing, though I think the idea I was protecting him stuck in the end.

The sad thing is local residents have complained to the council about the hotel on the basis that "those people" are a reservoir of Coronavirus and should be "locked away". The two ladies running the hotel were really good. Almost an unsung extension of the NHS in my view, they want to make a profit but also have good boundries in place which again helps educate their residents. They are proper p*ssed off with the people complaining who they note still seem to think buying a lottery ticket and shopping on a daily basis is fine.

Anyway cheer up you lot or you're likely to see this numpty limping up your driveway with my set of ticky box questions and condescending manner. That'll teach yer.

20. StJabbo1

Government bias Beddy, do you need to edit that Freudian slip?
    Are you saying there isn't aren't equipment and staff shortages due to slow response? Did johnson not boast of handshakes with infected patients? Was WHO and other countries experiences not ignored?
    As I've said in other posts this criticism isn't confined to the Guardian (please read and check their verifiable sources) and Mirror but also by the Mail and Telegraph. See their articles re the Cygnus exercise recommendations and the current PPE supplies crisis. Look at the quotes by the healthcare professionals from ambulance drivers and paramedics to nurses and consultants. People in fear and those in what may be unnecessary isolation due to a lack of tests.
    I make no secret of my dislike of Johnson and his cronies with their well documented lies and deceits.
    Government bias Beddy that's your blinkered view. You can't defend the performance of the incumbent "leaders".

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    San Tejón likes this.