1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

For many years it was often thought that footballers kept their brains in their boots. Having seen the way that Marcus Rashford held the government to shame, building a huge following that has done things we once expected the government to carry out with our taxes, perhaps some of those who kick a ball around do have something between the ears.
    Another person from the green fields has now added a few thoughts of his own.. "It’s so tiring how much they lie and misinform us that we start to question whether we are mad and they are right . They set standards so low , we start to accept normal stuff as a great achievement. This Trump / Johnson era of social engineering is dangerous." Gary Neville
    Funny how we are now looking at footballers such as these two and Jürgen Klopp to be the social conscience of the country.

2. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

ATTESTATION DE DÉPLACEMENT DÉROGATOIRE

So once again if I have to go shopping or to get my vaccination, I have to take my certificate with me. I cannot say that we object because last time this operated the numbers in hospital fell quickly. I find it hard to understand what the objection is in the UK to people being able to prove they have been vaccinated. Yes there are reasons for a few to not safely have the vaccine, but there are ways around that for the small numbers involved. If people had the chance to go and watch a game at the Vic conditional on them proving they had bee vaccinated, how many would turn the chance down?

3. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

4. J T Bodbo

J T Bodbo Well-Known Member

I totally agree. In fact I am mystified at the instinctive refusal of (who exactly?) to countenance ID cards. It would make a whole lot of things simpler , not least it would remove the need for the nasty attempts at gerrymandering currently being contemplated by our government.
    Whilst I would love to live in a world where theses things weren't necessary, I have had to accept that they are.

andytoprankin likes this.
  5. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think that we are already a series of numbers stored away on computers. Bank cards, passports, health cards, cards to visit the recycling centre, loyalty cards with supemarkets, car or house insurance, pensions, you name it, we are a number. Fifty years ago you might have an account at the local coop, and they would write down in their book that Mrs. X (number 307) had just spent £1.10s that would be added to her bill to be paid at the end of the week. Computers have replaced that large book, and the identifying number has become much larger, but we are still a number. I therefore cannot see any problem with adding a a further layer to my collection of cards, in fact I am looking forward to Mme. La Poste turning up any day now with my residency card.

6. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

I dont think a vaccine certificate is going to erode my so called freedoms any more than alll the trappings of everyday life already do ......

7. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

I wonder why the Daily Express is afraid of the readers having a different point of view published to the normal stuff they push out? You may agree, or not, but to take something down because it doesn't follow the message you want to give out to your readers shows that the paper is not interested in news, just propaganda.

8. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

Was that a reader comment on an Express article - or on a letters page? either way, I'm surprised they would have published it anyway.

I recently complained to German newspaper Der Speigel, about an article they printed alleging falling support for Scottish Independence. The whole article was based on the results of a poll which turned out to be fake, so I wrote to them to point this out, not expecting a reply. I wasn't disappointed as I never got one...

9. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

This is my friend Tom, who has been in in touch for more than sixty years. In addition to being a good fiddle player he is an outstanding artist. He has a gallery on the west coast of Ireland, and sells both originals and prints of his work throughout the world, but mainly to England. Since Brexit he has been faced with a huge problem of sending anything to England, and it will become worse when the full range of export rules come into force this summer. Although we hear of fishermen losing their markets, cheese makers having to hire warehouses in France, or financial services moving to Holland, not much is in the news about those small businesses run by ex-pats making a living in the EU. The deal that Johnson struck has upset everyone, from the DUP to my friend Tom. To continue to lie about it is not something we should be saying about a UK PM, but sadly it is true. Even now they are talking about teething problems, rather than the structural problems they have created. The pictures coming out of Belfast show how badly wrong this has all gone.

10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Belfast tonight just to reinforced the last comment I made.

11. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

The GFA has to a large extent brought a normality to peoples lives, and now this has been put under stress by the lies told by the PM. Here is what is happening in NI as a result.

"The UVF has ordered the removal of Catholic families from a housing estate in Carrickfergus in what has been termed a "form of 21st century ethnic cleansing".

The terror gang was behind attacks on three homes in the Woodburn estate in which they believed Catholics have been staying. Sources say the attacks were based purely on rumours about the occupants or people linked to them.

Windows at properties on Cherry Walk and Glenfield Walk were smashed late last Wednesday night. The home of a pensioner on Pinewood Avenue, who only moved into the bungalow last month, was also targeted. Some of the occupants are understood to have since fled the area."

12. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

It grieves me a lot to know that because of the dreadful deal that the government wanted with the EU, the violence has returned to NI as some of us forecast, and now tonight there is news that special forces have been sent in. There are people actually wanting the British Army sent back in, something that after 23 years of peace is almost unthinkable. The paramilitary forces know that it only really gets talked about when the bombings and murders take place on the mainland, so I hope that Johnson is prepared to talk his way out of that should it happen.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  13. Bolton's Boots

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Il video con tutte le bugie di Boris Johnson fa dieci milioni di clic «Non riesce a dir... http://csera.it/647e840aXT

When even the press in Italy, best known for its squeaky clean politicians, starts to report on the PM, you do wonder why the press in the UK are not mentioning his trouble with speaking the truth.

15. Bolton's Boots

Priti Patel found to have undermined an investigation into an immigration centre death. A judge ruled that while Priti Patel was under a legal requirement to “assist the coronial inquest by identifying and securing evidence from potential witnesses” when deaths occur in detention, in a 2019 case she went ahead with efforts to remove potential witnesses - specifically by trying to ensure that one was deported back to Nigeria before he could evidence at the inquest.

I suspect that nothing will happen to her though - she appears to belong to a protected species.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...n-policies-found-to-breach-human-rights-rules

16. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

17. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Just what have those billions of pounds handed out by Hancock to his horse racing friend Dido been spent on? What is happening in London now, just as people return to the streets is a disaster in the making. The NHS has done a brilliant job vaccinating so many, but the test and trace system in private hands has been a huge failure. Now Dido seems to be at the forefront again and it is going horribly wrong once more.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1382361040046989316.html

18. Bolton's Boots

19. Markthehorn

Markthehorn Well-Known Member

Have we not been a world leader though in terms of the vaccine?

Certainly more so than our European counterparts.

Probably the one positive aspect of how this pandemic has been handled by the Government- the fact so many have been vaccinated.

Helped by the wonderful work of the NHS and volunteers of course .

20. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Been a world leader in developing the vaccine for sure.
    I do think you need to reappraise the government's record on the pandemic overall which has been truly shocking: PPE scandal; cronyism; delayed decision making; putting political pressure on scientific meetings; dominic f*****g cummins... I could go on. It's been a horror story of incompetence, mixed messages, double standards, and corruption from de piffle and his chumocracy.

andytoprankin and Markthehorn like this.