1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus and NOTHING to do with football thread

Discussion in 'Watford' started by andytoprankin, Mar 21, 2020.

1. oldfrenchhorn

oldfrenchhorn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I had to look it up to see when a British PM had been so totally savaged in the Chamber at Westminster. As hard as I thought no event came to mind since Geoffrey Howe gave his resignation speech, and was the start of the end for Thatcher. That was in 1990, thirty years ago, so a long time has passed since one looked so weak, until today. Johnson was shown up as a chancer who had no idea of what he had signed up to by a MP who was almost a forgotten man, and had to make a last minute stand in for the isolating leader of the opposition. It was no wonder that the PM left the Chamber as fast as could, muttering to himself. I wonder if today will bring about the demise of Johnson in the same way that Howe finished off Thatcher?

2. Bolton's Boots

Bolton's Boots Well-Known Member

3. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

Selon les informations d'Europe 1, certains laboratoires n'hésitent pas à proposer des tests PCR aux résultats plus rapides. Cependant, les patients doivent dans ce cas-là dépenser de l'argent et ne pas profiter de la gratuité du dépistage.

Basically if you want to pay you can get a test result quicker than going through the free system. It has created a debate about the ethics of such a thing happening. The ministry of health have said it is illegal and will stamp down on any labs offering the service, but some people see no wrong in queue jumping if you can afford it. Others still hold to the principle that it should be freely available to all, and the depth of your pocket should not come into it. Yesterday in a commons statement Hancock said that the UK testing system was stretched in part because too many people wanted a test because it was free. Will he use that argument as a means of charging people who want to get to the head of the queue?

4. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

Not fit for purpose... has been found out... and surrounding himself with a toxic inner circle..... cant see him lasting.... but the Tory govt emboiled in such a mess with Brexit and Covid.... I think he will go quietly at some agreed point......

5. colognehornet

colognehornet Well-Known Member

I would agree that testing should be free and available for all Frenchie - but in Germany all tourists coming back from risk areas face either quarantine or testing. I do not see that a person who has returned from a holiday in Spain should be tested at the tax payers expense - they chose to go despite knowing the risks and should be expected to pay for their own tests on returning.

andytoprankin likes this.
  6. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I agree.

7. yorkshirehornet

yorkshirehornet Well-Known Member

i can go with that too...

8. Bolton's Boots

9. Bolton's Boots

And as if that wasn't enough, Japanese company Hitachi have pulled out of the Horizon nuclear power station project. Boris must be quaking like a jelly right now...

https://apnews.com/82caa5af265d70d0b79573d59455f1be

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  10. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

I think I would rather take the comment from Joe Biden who doesn't appear to have any links with the IRA.

"We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit. Any trade deal between the U.S. and U.K. must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period."

Despite the UK government saying that by breaking the law they are strengthening the GFA, it is plain to anyone with half a brain cell this is untrue.

Meanwhile having not been able to sort out the infrastructure at the ports and airports the government has turned to an outside company from the USA to sort it for them.

"Palantir’s software will draw on data from HMRC, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, the Home Office and the Department for Transport. An amendment will be added to a government trade bill later this year to provide the legal basis for sharing the data required by the software, the document says."

Who will have control of the borders? The UK or a software company from the States?

11. Hornet-Fez

Hornet-Fez Well-Known Member

Trump has donated to the IRA in the past - just another reason to loathe the POS - having had meetings with Gerry Adams et al.

12. Hornet-Fez

13. Bolton's Boots

Nearly pooped myself this morning - whilst enjoying a cup of coffee my phone beeped at me - a notification from the Protect Scotland tracing app that I only downloaded last weekend.
    I've only been out of the house twice since then, but the app has apparently 'spoken' twenty one times to other apps in that time and was just letting me know.
    Nice to know it's working I suppose...

14. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

5th September. "Newspapers are already struggling-get out there and buy a paper to support the free press." Matt Hancock

18th September "You shouldn’t believe what’s in the papers. Tests *are* available in every part of the country." Matt Hancock

andytoprankin and Hornet-Fez like this.
  15. Hornet-Fez

Arguably the worst news to come out America overnight with Justice Bader Ginsburg dying. A voice of reason and sanity gone from a land where religious extremists of a different flavour are looking to hold sway - particularly over women. I fear this could have wider ramifications. What a monumental, stress on the mental, mess the world is making of what really ought to be the best of times.

andytoprankin and Bolton's Boots like this.
  16. duggie2000

duggie2000 Well-Known Member

The three horsemen are riding across the plains
    Just waiting for the fourth and the dead rising to take over the earth

17. Bolton's Boots

From The Times - I suspect that both Scotland and Nth.Ireland will be looking closely at this and considering their futures.

please log in to view this image

18. oldfrenchhorn

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

19. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

Sorry to be behind the times, here, I was suffering from nasty flu when you posted this.
    Quite true. It was a mauling, and Johnson just wanted earth to swallow him up. But it doesn’t eat junk food.

20. andytoprankin

andytoprankin Well-Known Member

This went to no tests available in 46 out of the 49 hotspots!