1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Corona virus

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by lifecheshirewhite, Feb 25, 2020.

1. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Seeing how things seem to be a bit slow today just thought I would throw my 2 pennth into the pot so to speak.
    If games have to be played behind closed doors so be it, better that than closing the country down and yes I do believe there is a lot of over reaction due I believe because this is a virus which has not been known before.
    Now coming to my real issue I read that the chairman of tranmere rovers is bemoaning the fact that playing
    Behind closed doors could cost his club upto £500,000 and that owners may have to inject their own money into the club <wah> and may well be looking for money from the government.
    Well in my book and as a British tax payer he can piss off if they want money let them ask the likes of sky they have plenty to throw about.
    It makes my blood boil with all this self self self. I bet he has all the toilet rolls and hand sanitizer:headbang:

2. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

One of todays sad death announcements from the virus was at Watford General today. Just waiting for this thing to escalate over the next two weeks.:emoticon-0101-sadsm

3. lifecheshirewhite

Flu doesn't put 60% of the people who get it in Hospital or kill about 5% of people who get it, both numbers are from Italy, where it's killing 10 x the Flu %, as a Vaccine is about 12 months away, how does a person with health problems avoid it, they still need to buy food etc.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Over 130 died from it in Italy today. Doubt they’re relatives think it’s nothing to worry about

2 pennth and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  5. 2 pennth

The Italians are getting a right pastings with this Coronavirus just hope their lockdown works for them
    Found these
    D986A1DC-0287-4827-B901-06BCDC3CB551.png

lifecheshirewhite likes this.
  6. LeeUtd

LeeUtd Well-Known Member

There are thoughts that their culture of close knit family bonds is partly why it's spread. Grandparents looking after grandchildren etc. Spain is similar. Also heard that there are about 1,000+ in intensive care in italy and 5,000 in total in hospital. Our NHS couldn't cope with those numbers for intensive care beds.

7. lifecheshirewhite

And that's where the problem lies, people with it bad, need a ventilate to breath, what happens when there's non left to use ? the death rate goes up rapidly.

8. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They estimate that there are thousands of mild cases that are going unreported and not counted. In regards to Italy EU statistic show Italy has the oldest population in Europe by almost any count.

It has the lowest percentage of young people and the highest percentage of those aged over 65 (22.6 percent as of 2018) than any of the other member EU states.

In the U.S. alone, the flu has caused an estimated 34 million illnesses, 350,000 hospitalizations and 20,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

How many people over the years have had colds or Flu or thought it was a cold and it was actually Flu? Now because of this new virus everyone is being told call 111 so everyone who as much as sneezes are going into panic modes.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  9. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Another thing... If we go on lock down for two weeks then what? We're hoping it will miraculosly go away and never come back? If it were that easy why have we not done that before and wipe out Flu.

If Italy believes they are going to wipe it out of their country by closing down for two weeks they are in for a massive shock, what are they going to do when they allow people back out? Are they going to prevent planes landing, lorries and foreign workers, tourists? Italy will bankrupt their county doing this...

bucks_is_leeds and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  10. lifecheshirewhite

Would say not many, lots think they have had Flu, but it's just a cold.
    Do you think the Doctors in say Italy, have no idea what they are doing and putting thousands on ventilators who just have a sniffle ?

11. lifecheshirewhite

Won't be locked down for 2 weeks, it's reviewed every 2 weeks, can see it carrying on till the summer. Spanish Flu was contained in the end, but not before it killed 50-100 million, this could be the same.

Eireleeds1 likes this.
  12. 2 pennth

No problem the rest of the EU will bail them out after all that’s the reason for being a member (isn’t it)

13. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It could be a standard procedure, is it confirmed thousands are on ventilators? There are only 5k active cases, are they all in hospital rather than self isolating? What age are they all, majority over 80 or working age group?

Far too many questions not known, like I said if they want every pensioner to stay at home and add to that every person with a known health problem then fine. Lock the country down for two weeks, watch the knock on effect of that months later as businesses go under and unemployemt rises then watch cases of depression and anxiety rise and see how much more damage a lock down does

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  14. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not a chance, the country would erupt, I can't believe you think a population could survive on lockdown for a few months. If it were you and you had a mortgage you couldn't pay you would be out on the street and thats another thing, I assume the homeless are all going to be given a home to stay in for a lockdown

Spanish Flu - The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million[3] to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million - Lets also remember this was early 1900s a lot different then

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

They're already wondering how they are going to make up the lost UK money, Spain and Greece won't be putting any more in the pot, this could all be very interesting for the EU when the panic subsides and the failing economy needs dealing with

OLOF and FORZA LEEDS like this.
  16. lifecheshirewhite

The link you put up showed 2.5% of Flu cases ended up in Hospital, Italy has currently nearly 60% in Hospital. The Chinese Doctor who tried to tell the world before he died in his 30s didn't think it was just another Flu case, Doctors Decide who goes into Hospital, do you think they want to put people in hallways it they could send them home.

17. lifecheshirewhite

Where have you been, watch the news, mortgages will be put on hold, and people will still be able to work, just not joy ride across the country in cars and meet in large numbers, in other words the bare minimum you can get by on, are you a courier ? You will still be working as will truck drivers, people who can work from home will do.
    The numbers you just put up, tell you why the lock downs, on a par so far, death rate with Spanish Flu, up to 50 million + deaths, normal Flu is less than 1 million death rate worldwide.
    Of course I don't like or want a lock down, but they won't do it without real reasons, do you not think they realise it will **** the economy, yet they will still do it.

18. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Get a grip lads, take a hot toddy and carry on regardless:emoticon-0105-wink:

19. 2 pennth

Didn’t you mean totty <laugh>

FORZA LEEDS, Gessa and OLOF like this.
  20. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

or better still take some hot totty

OLOF likes this.