1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Core of the Team

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by YorkieLancsHampyLondoner, May 30, 2018.

1. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us play 532 next season so we can make the most of our academy players in midfield and also Kenlock and Emmanuel at wing back.

Part of me thinks actually we're reasonably well covered in each area by youngsters with potential anyway and next season we should take a risk and use it as an opportunity to develop what we've got. The only player who I don't really see having a future at the club is Spence and would be happy to see him moved on. I've never been a fan of Skuse but he's got some talent and it will be interesting to see if a new manager will release the shackles on him.

With this in mind I would say we need a minimum of 1 CB and a winger although 532 doesn't use wingers it's good to have those options.

If we're not going to fully take that risk and use wingers I would suggest we need 2 CBs, maybe an experienced RB, 2 wingers and 1 striker.

2. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

For me, the issue with Luke Chambers is that he has been inconsistent and underperforming for the last two years. Unlike Skuse, who significantly improved last season on the previous campaign, where we were almost relegated, Chambers hasn't really stepped up and the likes of Webster, Knudsen, and Carter-Vickers put in better performances in central defence.

Chambers fares better in a three man defence, where he has more cover, but when he is one of two centre backs, his lack of pace and poor technical ability on the ball really stands out. From the matches I saw last season, I got the impression he was targeted by opposition forwards and they closed him down when he was on the ball, knowing he'd hoof the ball and surrender possession, which he does far too frequently for a Championship defender.

He comes across as a good leader, a nice bloke, and makes the occasional great tackle. I certainly do not doubt his passion for the club, but my opinion is that we should be transitioning from McCarthy's favourites (Knudsen, Chambers, and Skuse) to younger, more technically proficient players.

3. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

I think we all agree we would been in desperate trouble without Bart over the last few seasons, so sorting the defence must be the priority with some honest questions to be asked.
    Is Knudsen good enough? What about Spence? Does he turn out consistently good performances? Are the defensive midfielders Championship standard?
    We all have opinions about different players but I think we need 2 solid full backs who actually stop crosses coming in which used to be a standard requirement in the past, and a ball winning midfielder who gets forward quickly and finds a runner to continue the move Magilton style, and if Bart goes then we need a keeper as I don't think Gherks is the answer.

Bigalreigned likes this.
  4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

He might fancy one more go. I'm sure it will depend on impression the manager makes and the dressing room. I reckon he'd rather do that than be a bench warmer at another club, so it really depends if he goes somewhere that needs a #1 and there are a lot of quality keepers already in the top flight even at the weaker sides.

5. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

I really don't think that's Chambers' fault. I didn't see much technical ability anywhere on the pitch last season and it's been rare we've played any possession football. Most of the time the possession we have has been from back to front quickly and then around the box for a few passes until we either create a chance or give it away. Pace for a central defender is only really a problem if when you're playing a high line you don't have the right cover from the other defenders. Nearly all the goals we conceded last season we had a packed penalty area because we had a tendency to invite teams onto us, maybe we'd lose a goal or two but I don't think it's a big issue.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Nope. We need to sort the full backs out and we need a CDM who can over our CBs and spray passes about to open the play up. I really thought that was going to be Luke Hyam's role but it wasn't to be. It's not going to be Dozzell or Bishop because those two tend to wander off.

7. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

That's a bit harsh on both Dozzer and Bish - Dozzer has only just come through the academy, and Bishop, well, don't think he's played more than 5 games on the spin. And in any case, that's not their job, they are more attacking midfielders - i'm hoping that Adeyami will be able to do that job, and leave Huws to push up a bit more (or at least rotate their roles)

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We don't have anyone in the squad who can play that role apart from Skuse. Dozzell more than Bish is a CM rather than a CAM but I don't think he has the discipline yet to sit - he does tend to chase the ball. It's one of the positions that #youdontknowwhatitsliketohurtsomebody is going to have to fill.

9. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

Dozzell and Bishop are too lightweight to be d/mf/s although this may change with age and Bishop seems to be too injury prone when it comes to a 90 minute battle, as for Adeyemi I'm buggered if I know what he's supposed to do.

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We have some exciting young talent in the squad that you can risk further forward but they really have to have been bred into the role to play CDM.

fieldmarshall likes this.

11. Nuggets

Both Carter-Vickers and Webster were a lot more composed and comfortable on the ball than Chambers and they generally put in better defensive performances. It's one of the reasons why Chambers is not considered a first team pick these days. While I agree we did not played possession football last season, we're presumably going to be changing that methodology going forwards into the new season. If Chambers has been hiding a good first touch all this time, and can actually show composure and passing ability on the ball, then I'd welcome him into the starting eleven. However, even while playing in the confines of a more direct approach, I think it's evidently clear that players like Webster, Carter-Vickers, and Kenlock showed greater composure and technical ability on the ball (and from the games I saw were more than willing to play short passes), compared to Chambers and Knudsen, who have consistently opted for a safety-first, long ball approach.

12. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh Hyam..........

Look what club he joins next - I'll put my neck on the line and say they won't be as big as us - or if they are, he won't be in the 11 often. Not good enough and always injured.

Dozza is class. He can play a bit deeper but sure not a DMC. Quality player.

Bish I love but never fit, would have been tempted to release but hope he gets back to it. Baller.

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  13. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM Well-Known Member

Bishop is let down by his commitment and attitude I’ve heard.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Nuggets - Carter-Vickers is a top talent but he's not ours. Loan signings never get us anywhere, we need to build our own team.

Weighty - Bish blazed onto the scene and then it petered out, I'd have been fed up if I were him. It's a fresh start for everyone.

Westlake - Hyam may take a step down but he has Premier League ability once he gets a bit of momentum (which he never had under Mick).

15. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

If your ‘fed up’ work harder ....Bishop by all accounts didn’t do this......plays the big time Charlie without proving that he is big time.

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

If that's true it doesn't surprise me and it's the difference between having a good manager and a poor one, at the end of the day.

17. WEIGHTY CRIMSON PLUM

No argument on that one........a good manager would have stamped out that or shipped him off while he stock was high.

18. Nuggets

Building our own team is all well and good in an ideal world, but if we wish to be competitive in this division, I think we have to realise the benefits of using the loan market well, especially considering our budget. You could make the argument that without Tom Lawrence two years ago, we would have been relegated, so I don't think we can try and be above using loans. Carter-Vickers has spoken about a willingness to return on loan and who knows, we may be able to sign him permanently if things don't go well at Spurs.

Completely disagree regarding Luke Hyam being Premier League class, by the way. He showed potential when he broke into the team during the Jewell years and Mick's first year in charge. however, he never built on that. Deservedly kept out of the team by better players and whenever he did play, he often looked very one-dimensional and limited on the ball. That could be down to Mick's tactics and instructions, but I think Hyam needs to find a run of games at League One / League Two level. Where he ends up next will provide a more accurate barometer of just how highly he's rated in the game, but I can't see him ever being a Premier League player.

19. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Yes so much premier league ability he's currently linked with Southend. Needs to be fully fit and gain momentum - you're right there but I'm sorry he isn't remotely good enough for the top tier and never will be. Not in a month of Sundays.

I've heard an awful lot about Bishop's attitude but does any of it have any weight? He's 21 / been constantly injured for 3 seasons in a row. Where does it stem from? Him going overseas and letting his hair down when injured? Or a hell of a lot more too it than that and genuinely a bad egg?

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Players frequently have to drop down a level, just look at Hourihane now.