1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Copa América

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by OedipusTex, Jun 4, 2016.

1. HullMan

HullMan Member

Was there last night to watch Abel play! Interesting watching him not on television, he really does try to be sneaky and lose defenders when they're not looking and then pop up on the end of crosses. Uruguay's service sucked but I guess it matches a lot of the tap in goals he had for us this season... he's not just a striker, he's got a good poaching quality to him too. I think he'll do fine in the PL next season for us if we can hang on to him. I seem to remember he had several "almost" goals last time around in the PL so maybe he was just adjusting/unlucky?

I wore my Hull City 2008-09 jersey to the game, but was outclassed by two dudes wearing Abel Hull City jerseys and waving Uruguay flags. They bought me beer though so I didn't mind.

Quarterfinal for me on Saturday, Mexico vs... probably Chile at this point. Should be sweet. To add to the talk earlier, I love seeing Mexico lose and can't wait to see it in person!

CANADATIGER likes this.
  2. HullMan

HullMan Member

I live in the SF Bay Area, the East Bay... on the other side of the tunnel from Oakland. Not from " 'Ull" and never been there, although it's my family's last name and it originates from none other than 'Ull in the 1800's, when my great great grandfather changed it after visiting Hull (although there's more to the story than that, but those are the basics). I've been following Hull City since the Internet was a thing in the mid 90's, listening to games over the net and what not. I vividly remember being in college running around telling my friends about the Great Escape and nobody had any clue what the F I was going on about.

Anyways, love Hull City and I'm looking forward to the day I can visit Hull, retrace my great great grandfather's steps, and watch a game or six at the KC. In the meantime, I'll have to do with my Copa America games in Santa Clara and traversing the USA to follow the American Outlaws each summer!

CANADATIGER likes this.
  3. Quill

Quill Bastard

Cavani is one of those weird players looks ****e whenever you watch him, yet he's a great striker with a cracking record.

4. ellewoods

ellewoods Well-Known Member

Let me know if you come around Sacramento and we can watch a game sometime. I go to the Bay Area once in a while but when I do its normally with the girl and she isnt going to want to watch a game.

5. HullMan

HullMan Member

Looking to check out a Sac Republic game coming up in the next couple of weeks and drink heavily after (and probably before). One of my buddies is on the technical staff so might go watch them train the day before as well. Would be cool to meet up with a fellow City supporter!

6. ellewoods

Let me know I have yet to watch them in person.

7. OedipusTex

OedipusTex Well-Known Member

I come to San Jose from Texas 2-3 times per month, usually Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Midweek evening matches are played around lunchtime PDT, right? Maybe a meet up is in order?

8. ellewoods

Yea I think they normally begin around 11. Have you been to the new stadium in San Jose yet?

9. HullMan

HullMan Member

Possibly, or a midweek Quakes game? Avaya Stadium is really a sweet deal. Just buy the cheapest tickets and then go stand behind the goal at the bar!

10. OedipusTex

Attending a midweek Quakes match is on my do-list for this summer. I think I have one targeted in August.

11. ellewoods

If I had enough warning I could probably do a midweek game. Id have to bring the girl though and turn it into a beach weekend.

12. ellewoods

US vs Ecuador in the Quarter-finals is today. I think that we will win 2-1 as the football gods will want a US vs Mexico match up in the Semi-Finals and both the US and Mexico are on the same side of the bracket.

13. OedipusTex

Are you sure about that? The bracket I saw shows the winner of tonight's match playing the winner of Argentina-Venezuela. I'll have to make a trip down to Houston if we win tonight.

14. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

This sounds about perfect.

What time is the US playing? Our time

15. ellewoods

ESPN must have misspoke when they listed who was in which bracket because the copa america website has them in the other bracket.

16. ellewoods

2:30 am your time is kickoff. I think, its 6:30 pm Pacific Time.

17. HullMan

HullMan Member

I think that the Copa America website is wrong to be honest, as everywhere else is saying the winner of USA-Ecuador plays Argentina-Venezuela.

Would make sense considering they couldn't even play the correct national anthem before one game... either way, I think USA rides the Seattle crowd to a victory (and Dempsey will score, he always scores for the USA in big games) and I think Mexico will get run all over by Chile. Other than Herrera Mexico hasn't looked good at all this tournament. Marquez will probably get a red card because he always gets red cards in big games.

18. ellewoods

The Copa America website is saying that USA-Ecuador plays Argentina-Venezuela. It is ESPN that said the wrong thing.

19. ellewoods

Game starts in a few.

20. ellewoods

Dempsey scores US 1 - Ecuador 0