1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Conte starting to get as dipsy as Jose

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Nov 17, 2017.

1. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Ideally id also like a more stylish manager but just don't think the ones out there are either gettable or big enough names.

2. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

Anybody think Conte might be tempting by a return to the national side? They seem to really want him. His contract is still up at the end of the season isn't it?

3. BobbyD

BobbyD President

nope.

I can't imagine he gets more pleasure seeing his squad meet up once every 2 months.

Imo he's very much a hands on manager and likes the day to day working.

4. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Not sure but think he's contracted till end of next season. To be honest, it looks as if the Luiz feud is ending, and Willian seems to have settled down a bit. Never easy to know what's happening, but I'd say Abramovich has had a quiet word to some or all , Emanalos' departure has possibly eased Contes concerns a bit, and people have acted like the professionals they all are. They all seem to have yielded a little and the situation has improved a lot.
    Conte is too good to be just a National Manager, he'd be bored to snores.

5. Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys

Super_Chelsea_Blue_Boys Well-Known Member

I really hope we keep hold of Conte as long as possible. I think he’s doing a fantastic job.

He exceeded expectations last season and we look like a top team again this season. Give him time, money and academy players and I’m sure he is capable of building a dynasty unseen at Chelsea before.

Forza king Conte

6. armchairblue

armchairblue Well-Known Member

<applause><applause>....Top post.

7. DferPolarBear

DferPolarBear Well-Known Member

8. DferPolarBear

I think the first team do get too comfortable and Conte has to stir them up. Hence Loopy being left out for a few games and all of a sudden the poor chap is destined for the scrap heap. It's called fighting for your place.

9. Chelsea Pensioner

Usually agree with the wise bear, but think this has more to it. Conte showed poor judgement in my opinion in publicly belittling Luiz .And I think this is a recurring weakness in Contes' character. OK to be a "tough guy" but make sure the punishment fits the crime. Luiz payed a public penalty for what should have been a private trial. Conte now needs to win back the respect of Luiz, not the other way round as most people think. Conte needs Luiz more than Luiz needs Conte. Just saying

Bodinki likes this.
  10. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Agree with this.
    If there is one thing that has irked me about Conte since his arrival, it is the way he publicly throws his players under the bus when he perceives a dip in form from them. Its one thing to say "We weren't good enough in defence today etc", but its completely different to "Luiz was utter dog ****, I may end up sacking him soon" which was basically what he said in so many words.
    If Luiz's form dips, pull him aside for a chat, and maybe drop him to the bench for a match or two until he gets his head sorted.
    His reactions border on hysterical ( I am sure he and Stan would get on like a house on fire ).
    But not only that, it is insulting and disrespectful.
    Really not a nice trait in Conte's behaviour. If he can cut that from his attitude and Roman doesn't ham string him with Twatty officials like Emenalo and Marina, then I think he can continue to do well.
    Our board is half the problem here, make no mistake.

Chelsea Pensioner likes this.

11. BobbyD

BobbyD President

what was the direct quote about Luiz and i'm pretty sure it was a bit more than just his poor form :p

12. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Cant be arsed to find it, but I think it was "I will have to reconsider his position at this club" or something along those lines.

13. Chelsea Pensioner

Phew, thought I'd be crucified for saying this.
    Not for a second trying to knock Conte. He's a truly great asset to our Club. Just saying I don't like this character trait. As you say ,half his problems are fighting the drop kicks on the board, but he should stop slagging off players who bust a gut for him and think about things a bit more. Unlike me, I can tear into anyone with no consequences, apart from you lot.

StanDMan and Bodinki like this.
  14. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Nah I feel the same.
    I think Conte is a great manager, and I really did not expect us to the win the title last season, so was very pleasantly surprised.
    But the way he handled the whole Costa thing was atrocious. Dont get me wrong, Costa had a Chelsea contract so hiding away and not returning to the club was a dog **** move, but Conte really did not need to light that fire in the first place by sending stupid ****ing texts telling him he wants him out. He should have just touted him to other clubs on the sly.

Luiz, that was ridiculous, its not that he slagged off the team, or even that he singled out one player, it was the malice and venom with which he spoke it.
    I dunno, maybe something got lost in translation, but it to throw a player under the bus like that, and tell journo's that his position at the club may be under threat.....come on man! That's not how an experienced Premier League manager operates.

15. BobbyD

BobbyD President

I seriously don't know what he said about Luiz that was that bad. Been searching for it but all i get is:

I don’t know. He has to work really hard, otherwise they are on the bench or in the stand.” The Italian was subsequently asked to clarify those comments, and added: “It’s very simple, no? Very simple. The coach has to make the best decision for the team and tonight the best decision for the team was to play with Christensen and to have, on the bench, [Ethan] Ampadu. Another young player. A really good player for the present and the future.

“Maybe in the future I can decide a different way or continue in this way. That’s normal. I must take the best decision for the club, not for a single player. It’s only a tactical decision. It’s normal. This can happen to every one of my players, if I see they are not in good form. It’s normal. I repeat: I have to put my face to every situation and then sometimes to make important decisions. Today I did this and I think Christensen played a massive game. I was very happy for this.”

Or

"I don’t know. He has to work really hard otherwise they are on the bench or in the stand.”

There isn;t anything wrong he has said and likewise, i'm fine with how he dealt with the costa situation. Business wise maybe it wasn't the best thing to do (although we're still get 50m) but it's the sort of thing that Fergie did. Just because Costa blew the situation up because i would say he's less professional compared to the stars that Fergie ditched doesn't mean Conte dealt with it poorly in my opinion.

StanDMan and The Ginger Marks like this.
  16. Chelsea Pensioner

All water under the bridge ( no pun intended) now. Guess we could find fault with anyone in the game if we wanted to.
    In Conte we have a Manager capable of getting a dispirited bunch of players to lift and win the League. That took a huge amount of effort and work from everyone especially Conte. Now he wants to build on that achievement and it looks as if he's determined to do just that.

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  17. DferPolarBear

Before game before Loopy played in Baku he was a nightmare. He was all over leaving huge gaps behind him. He was trying to be a one man team, but not driving the team ignoring it instead. I said so in Dfer Matchday Chat as we all watched. Everyone there agreed. That performance alone would have been enough for me to bench him. I do agree we need Loopy back on form, but he isn't a young player any more. I would imagine every manager he has had has tried to nurture that unpredictable thinking to the team's benefit and somehow negate the down side when he takes it all too far with his determination and exuberance. Time to hit hard and say no David no more warnings about it, get it right or someone else can and will.

StanDMan likes this.