1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Conspiracy theories ...

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Smug in Boots, Jul 10, 2021.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Canny netflix series on now about his ancient civilisation theory, and apocalyspe. Definitely compelling evidence academics wont listen to. Also some dubious shoehorning of what he finds into his theory.

An alternative conspiracy theory wrapped in this one could be his son working for netflix as a series commiasioner <laugh>

Anyway, I enjoyed it, and there I am pretty sure academics dont have it all tucked away nicely.

rowley and The Exile II like this.
  2. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Aye he's been down a few blind alleys over the years. Since he started working with Randall Carlson it's all come together though.

FellTop likes this.
  3. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

4. The Exile II

5. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

Bit of a sweeping statement or are you just calling me stupid ?

I'd argue those that ask questions seek answers, and those that blindly follow are stupid sheep

Were you one of those idiots that TOLD everyone they must get a vaccine as it's 100% effective and stops you transmitting the virus ?

PS, I didn't struggle at school at all . And if you bothered to look at some videos, there are eminent doctors and scientists etc questioning all aspects of government decisions. Are they stupid too ?

Since you only follow mainstream media, have a read of this. Then put 2 and 2 together, if you're capable. ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/08/big-pharma-global-vaccine-rollout-covid-pfizer

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  6. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I'm an archaeologist. The thing about Hancock's theories is, if he was right, there would be no reason to suppress the truth. The idea that individuals from some advanced civilisation were wondering the earth and teaching hunter-gatherers about monumental architecture and stuff is too fanciful. Plus, it denies that people were capable of innovation in their own right. There is no evidence of his advanced civilisation and I know of nothing that could completely obliterate evidence for a settlement of the magnitude that would be talking about to the extent that it couldn't be identified. Even if all were talking about as evidence was levels of phosphates in the soil.
    For anyone that's interested in this stuff though, there are wilder, more compelling theories, with much greater evidence to support them than anything Hancock has come up with.

7. The Exile II

I love all this stuff - what should I be looking for?

I think the thing with Hancock is his personality has been an issue - he can come across as a right smarmy prick and he's had a lot of high profile falling outs with prominent archaeologists. Especially the Egyptian bloke over the age of the monuments there. I can completely understand the reaction of people whose life's work may be under threat and it's good to see one or two younger people at least engaging with him to prove or disprove his theories. I think he's due to debate a guy on Rogan at some point this year, that'll be worth listening to. It's good to see some movement on it.

Are you up to anything exotic yourself? I see plenty of archaeological reports up here as part of my new job. Mainly 'no you can't put a bloody great wind turbine here' :)

The Norton Cat likes this.
  8. The Norton Cat

One of the most interesting things I've seen in recent years (but have since seen nothing further of) was some archaeobotanical and environmental archaeology done via deep core drilling that suggested that at least part of the Arabian Peninsular was lushly vegetated and supported dense forest with an abundance of animal life. One theory linked this to the dawn of agriculture in the fertile crescent (i.e. the hunter-gatherer inhabitants of this forest had to move further north where pressure on resources was greater and they had to find new ways to survive). Things like the antithykera mechanism are quite interesting too.

I think what a lot of archaeologists probably find frustrating about Graham Hancock is that a lot of his theories (and I don't know if he realises this or not) are very similar to 18th/19th century theories about archaeology. For example, when Great Zimbabwe ( https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Zimbabwe ) was first investigated, European archaeologists thought that it was too complex for Africans to have built themselves so it must have been white men that did it. For similarly complex sites in places where the white man hadn't been until much later they theorised that there must be some complex civilisation that we've forgotten about. All that stuff is considered to be a bit stupid now and he's rehashing it.

I don't do much of the exotic stuff. I do a bit of consultancy- like wind farms! But mostly I do post-excavation analysis. It's putting together all of the evidence after we've finished on site to work out what was going on. It's the best bit of the whole process for me, bringing all the different strands together. Currently I'm working on an Iron Age structure that is well outside of it's normal geographical range. So that's deeply exciting for me but most normal people couldn't care less!

9. The Exile II

Yes the racism accusation is a fairly recent stick they're trying to beat him with. I can't recall him ever mentioning a colour for these 'great civilizers'. Personally I think it's far more likely that any ice age advanced seafaring civilisation that might have been taken out by rising sea levels would have been black rather than white. The honkies were too busy fighting sabre tooth tigers on the tundra or something ;)

It could be worse - some people think aliens did it.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  10. The Norton Cat

I think the problem is more to do with saying that these populations weren't capable of developing agriculture, monumental architecture, trade exchange economies etc without any kind of outside help. It assumes that people were living in ignorant, semi-bestial states but even the limited evidence for Palaeolithic and Mesolithic hunter-gatherer groups shows that they were capable of complex thought and problem solving (some of the stone tools they made are incredible- hold an acheulean hand axe and it's amazing; fits perfectly in your palm, perfectly weighted, it makes you want to start chopping stuff up. And Mesolthic composite tools are beautiful, a range of different devices made from small, geometrical blades of flint. And Clovis Points in N America, sometimes said to be for Mammoth hunting). From there, its not hard to appreciate how they could develop more complex ideas and solutions, eventually leading to monumental architecture and all those other things.

11. Nozs’ Hat

Nozs’ Hat Well-Known Member

Must have been some size to be seen like that you would think. I’m going for alien vortex

12. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

what's this called, mate?

13. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

Andy Carol injured Eriksen on purpose to weaken Man U for the final

14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Billionaire Bill Gates has said he would rather pay for vaccines than travelling to Mars, which he does not think is a good use of money.

"It's actually quite expensive to go to Mars. You can buy measles vaccines and save lives for $1,000 (£814) per life saved," he told the BBC.

"And so [that] just kind of grounds you, as in - don't go to Mars."

The Microsoft co-founder also believes artificial intelligence will "pretty dramatically" transform humanity.

He said: "It will help us look into medical and scientific questions. It's not just robots, it's helping to read and write as well.

"In fact, there's been more progress there than on the robotic side. Both of them will give us much higher productivity."

'Boogeyman'

Mr Gates also spoke of his surprise at becoming the face of conspiracy theories during the Covid-19 pandemic.

"I did not expect that," he said, referring to suggestions he profited from the virus, or started it himself.

"During the pandemic, there were tens of millions of messages that I intentionally caused it, or I'm tracking people. It's true I'm involved with vaccines, but I'm involved with vaccines to save lives.

"These messages sort of inverted that. I guess people are looking for the 'boogeyman' behind the curtain, the over-simplistic explanation. Malevolence is a lot easier to understand than biology."

Mr Gates also spoke about how he, like many other philanthropists, met sex offender and financier Jeffrey Epstein.

"I'm certainly more careful now than back when I did that. I'll do a little more due diligence. I may make a mistake again. I'm out in the world and I'm not trying to be a recluse."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64499635

Conspiracy theorists think that he's a bad person <doh>

15. The Exile II

Similar to Musk in many ways - a bloke who's got what would be considered a normal job who by virtue of being good at it and having a big ambitionhas unintentionally become a celebrity.

16. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

The emergency alert just sent was via 5g and activates a pathogen dormant within the Covid vaccine to make people sick, allegedly.

RIP everyone.

17. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Don't ****ing start about 5g. They sat every person is capable if murder just needs the right or maybe that should be wrong set of circumstances! Let me tell you all those covid was fake so they could fit masts to kill us all with 5g ****ing nuts had me close!

C Montgomery Burns likes this.
  18. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Wibble

19. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It scared the **** out of had only just stepped outside and was enjoying the peace and quiet. Thought a bomb was about to drop on me or something.

20. Neil

Neil Well-Known Member

I was on a ferry over to Jersey just as covid was starting kicking off, and I overheard two of the stewards talking. One was telling the other "you know what causes this don't you? It's 5G. Where did covid start? China. Where are they installing loads of 5G? China. We're putting up 5G masts, and so we're getting it here too. It's so simple."

I nearly laughed out loud, and had to text a mate to say what I heard, which I finished with "this is one conspiracy theory that is never going to take off, surely people aren't that stupid?" Seems I was wrong, and some people are.