1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Confirmed January Signings ....

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Whitejock, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Derry [ut in quite a shift when he came on in the last match and turned around the game IMO (but not enough to win!). Still don't want him, right enough! But won't be the end of the world if he comes in.

2. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Wouldn't half like to see that Kenny McLean from St Mirren for us in midfield, he's a pretty tidy player.

3. bucks_is_leeds

bucks_is_leeds Jonny big spuds
    Forum Moderator

Tates loan deal extended until the end of Jan

4. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Indicates to me that we're simply using him as cover while we sign someone during the transfer window?

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Apparently a number of clubs in for Thomas. No loan extension - got to be a purchase.

6. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

That'll indicate what gfh have. Surely worth buying after his spell. Of course if price is in the millions that might be too rich for us. Well see

7. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Can't imagine it'd be a ridiculous price, but West Brom may want to strengthen in january and I seem to recall Clarke saying he spent pretty much his entire budget on Foster in the summer, so they'll probably drive a hard bargain so Clarke has the money to strengthen elsewhere

8. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I hope what GFH mean is that they don't want to spend money just for the sake of spending it. I think they'd spash out a few million on a single player if they thought he was the right player. I don't think Warnock believed Woods was worth 2 million plus. Have a think how much we got for Snodds, Howson, Gradel etc; If that kind of player became available at the kind of price that we sold them for, then I can see them loosening the purse strings.

9. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

With the form Becchio is in and the fact we do (on paper) have 3 other very capable strikers in Diouf, McCormack and Somma, I don't think GFH see the point in sanctioning a £2m move for a forward when it's clear we need wingers, a playmaker and a left back.

10. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be too quick to place values on players based on what we got for them. Howson, snoddy and gradel were all given away on the cheap. Particularly the last two were crap prices

11. DirtyLeeds

DirtyLeeds Well-Known Member

I wasn't suggesting relegation was a serious threat, particularly as we've almost done enough to stay up already (although 3 or 4 more wins would be needed to guarantee it). I was really trying to say that I don't think GFH see promotion as a No.1 priority for THIS season. Hence they won't spend too much until the summer. Obviously promotion in May would be great, but I would see it as an unlikely bonus rather than a realistic expectation.

12. BoggersMOT

BoggersMOT Well-Known Member

Fair enough Wicks. We wait for developments.

13. Roquefort Junior

I wouldn't mind having a look at former Lyon and Sunderland centre back John Mensah. With over 80 caps for Ghana and as a free transfer (i think!) he would be a great player to add to the first team. Can't expect he'd be after to much money either.

An option at left back could be Asier del Horno, ex of Chelsea :emoticon-0132-envy:
    He's also a free agent.

14. Roquefort Junior

Other (possibly worthwhile) free agents include Simon Tchoyi, formerly of West Brom and Charles Takyi, most recently with St Pauli, who's is a tricky creative centre midfielder.

Would be nice to see Warnock get the cheque book out however!

15. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been reading a rumour stating that Warnock is trying to get Alejandro Faurlín from QPR can't see that one happening.

16. Roquefort Junior

Would be exactly what we need in the middle. However, he seems to be getting game time under Redknapp though. Unless QPR spend big and plentiful this January, I also can't see it happening.

17. Mr Wolves-White

Mr Wolves-White Well-Known Member

Dunno how solid this one but it's all over Twitter look like we're in for Nahki Wells from Bradford City.

18. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

Apparently we've been granted permission to talk to Dexter Blackstock from Forest?

19. strachallister

strachallister Well-Known Member

I do hope not, he isn't a prolific goal scorer,might be a good link up player but we need to strengthen the wings and midfield as well as the left back position, Dorrans is available apparently he would definitely bring something lacking in our performances of late.

20. kiwi

kiwi Well-Known Member

If GFH are willing to fund the areas we need improving as well, I see no harm in signing Blackstock. He is, as you say, an excellent link up player and provides us with a similar option to Becchio if he's having an off day.

You're right though, we desperately need wingers, preferably two plus Hall. Dorrans would be excellent, he can play all over the midfield and has that creative spark we seem to lack in the middle.