1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Confirmed: Danny Ings joins Saints

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

The trouble with real quality is that they **** off to a rich club after a decent season here and threaten to not play even after getting a massive payrise and a long contract the previous Summer.

2. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

I agree to some extent, but with any signing it’s never guaranteed that it will be great business. The top clubs spend way more than we could, and have more expectation that signings will work, but any player we bring in is always going to be based on potential and hope.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Lego or Red Leicester? <whistle>

Not sure mate, think they've done some sort of deal with Nike.

4. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

FedEx stadium apparently

5. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

And take us to the European places in the process.

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I was thinking as in “F*ck Hall, you’re gonna win F*ck Hall”

Libby likes this.
  7. Saints_Alive

It never lasts though, that's the real dilemma facing a club of our size.

8. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

This is the devil. We were at this point before and we didn’t like it when the players went. We tried to do something about that. But after the ones really worth keeping had gone.

I was fairly happy with what we were achieving and when the players went, it gave us the ideal panto villain.

I’d be happy if these latest signings turn out to be the dog’s gonads and propel us forwards again for two seasons, before foxtrotring off to the next big payday.

9. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

You've got a point Schad, but that statement is largely a load of unsubstantiated bollocks. Last season we brought in Lemina, before him Gabbiadini, this window Gunn, Vestergaard, Elyonousi and Armstrong are all good signings and among the more expensive purchases I've seen this transfer window. We have spent decent money. Danny comes in as a quality player with a recent bad run of injuries. If he stays injury free he will do alright for us and it gives us the depth and character we needed. Overall it could be good it could be ****, just like any other signing but he's not the key on which our season hangs so good luck to him.

I made the point earlier this window that what we have been missing isn't quality but character and chemistry. I cant find fault with this signing from that perspective. Good guy, good player.

10. Saintmagic

Our model previously (with the likes of Mane, VVD, Wanyama) was buying the better players in smaller leagues who we hoped would get better, obviously they ended up leaving to the bigger teams. More recently we have signed players who have been at bigger clubs and, for whatever reason, wanted to move on (Lemina, Hojbjerg, Bertrand, Gabbiadini, Ings, Carrillo). These players might not be in such a rush to move back to a top club due to previous experiences there, or the bigger clubs might not be in such a rush to sign them as they may not have been deemed good enough which is why we signed them in the first place.

I am perfectly happy if we sign a player and he does well enough for us that the top teams come sniffing, means we/they most likely have done well in their time here. If they want to kick up a fuss about moving on after a year or 2 then fine, that is just football. We absolutely should be trying to sign the better players from smaller leagues that the big teams don't need to take a punt on. Hopefully Elyounoussi will fall into this category.

Libby, Schad and fatletiss like this.

11. Saintmagic

I look at Newcastle as an example. Their fans are in uproar at the fact the club has made a £20m profit this window and calling it a terrible window because of this. We do this most windows yet not as much is made of it. The signings we have made fill in most of the positions we needed to strengthen only time will tell if us being stringent with money again will come back to bite us. We have spent bigger than we have in previous times, but still relative peanuts to other teams we are competing with. Without checking I would guess that outside the top 6 more than half of the other teams have signed a player this summer for £20m+. Price of the player doesn't guarantee anything of course but it shows that they are obviously highly thought of by the selling/buying club. By restricting our spend it means we can't go for these players and have to settle with maybe a tier down.

12. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

It's Only A Game likes this.
  13. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

We are rebuilding you need to set your sights lower. We only just stayed up last season, no big name player is coming to us.

We also have loads of players we don't want who we can only get rid of but paying half their wages and sending them onloan. That would also inpact the players we could bring in. Hell we have Forster who is 3rd choice on 80k

14. Saints_Alive

Burnley have proved that it is possible to get into Europe without spending loads, you need the right chemistry and having a very good, loyal Manager helps. I would love to have a team without obvious standout stars that gets results through working as a team. I miss the Adkins days so much, the whole club and fans all seemed to be pulling in the same direction then.

15. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

16. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We aren't rebuilding; rebuilding would be reorienting us away from well-compensated, backup-calibre players that we cannot move on. We keep adding more.

17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Agreed. We had a logical model: buy big fish in small ponds. Spend big (for our level) on transfer fees while keeping wages reined in. We've flipped it on its head, and it's not working.

18. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Man, you are more pessimistic than me, I don't get being this down on stuff

19. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

20. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Like England this summer; a bit short on individual quality (at the highest level), but nearly pulled off a miracle as a team.

Libby and OddRiverOakWizards like this.