1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Confirmed: Armel Bella-Kotchap signs for Saints

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

You could easily be describing Ralph's defensive tactics here.

Ralph's approach to defending is behind-the-sofa stuff at the best of times. I was really hoping he (or a new defensive coach) would change the team's defending methodology over the summer, but perhaps he has decided to stick with it, and instead try to recruit defenders that will fit better to this style. I really, really hope this isn't the case.

2. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

He’s been purchased because he’s a player that suits the defensive approach that we take. Neither Bednarek or Stephens have the mobility to play in that way but their interception and ball winning numbers show that it can be workable. They also need a goalkeeper behind them who is ready to sweep up anything when they do get caught out (which is why we’ve recruited in that vein).

Personally I think the “buy players to suit a tactical style” approach is the best methodology, as opposed to building a system to suit what you have. I’m not opposed to us continuing the high line defending with different personnel and coaching. It will go spectacularly wrong at times. It’s not a safe, pragmatic approach but I also don’t think Dyche, Moyes and Allardyce are particularly fun coaches to watch. I know we’re not getting into Europe or winning anything any time soon so let’s at least have a laugh! :emoticon-0102-bigsm

3. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Agreed. It's difficult to continually alter your approach every second Tuesday when you appoint a new manager. Determine how you want to play, and let that determine both the managers you seek and the players you acquire. It was our MO, and then we lost our way through the Puel/Pellegrino/Hughes.

4. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Yeah, I think West Ham fans would disagree about Moyes, but I get you. I just don't know if I can handle another season of extremes. What's worrying is if we buy players to fit a particular style, and then that style doesn't work. Usually you'd just need a coach who can change his ways, but now we'll need a whole load of news signings who can too. Anyway, six weeks or so to go.

You're right though, having a laugh is the sensible option.

Archers Road and Romsey_Saint like this.
  5. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Do we have defensive tactics?:emoticon-0102-bigsm

6. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

I think our goals against tally under Ralph answers that question! <laugh>

7. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

Oh I’m not saying they are bad managers either. Moyes or Allardyce would be perfectly effective on charge of Saints. As would Rafa Benitez. They have their style of management and tactical setup which is absolutely a way to win. You can grind results and in time add a couple of attacking players with real spark to get the job done in attack for you when you need that. It’s just not what I enjoy and find interesting. They can do it elsewhere!

8. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

It's difficult to argue that Saints offered much entertainment in the final third of the season. We had no attacking flair, the high press, high energy play seemed to be abandoned and replaced by slow and methodical passing in squares.
    We know that Ralph's teams can excite and that's what we need to get back to because most fans accept that we will rarely threaten the upper echelons of the PL but won't accept dull and uninspired football.

9. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

We did entertain. Just not our fans :emoticon-0102-bigsm

10. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yes we do, and they’re flexible.

Defend resolutely for 90 minutes when playing Man City or Arsenal;
    defend half-heartedly against other top 6 sides;
    don’t bother, there’s no point, against everyone else.

This would be more effective if we could count on regularly scoring goals at the other end. We just need to find another Mane, Pelle, Tadic and Koeman-era Long, and we’re golden.

11. Romsey_Saint

So the idea is resolute defence coupled with prodigious goal scoring at the other end. Sounds great - over to you Ralph... oh... <laugh>

Archers Road likes this.
  12. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Seriously impressed with this guy, I think he might even end up better than VVD, he’s still so young yet.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  13. Che’s Godlike Thighs

He's a f*cking colossus. But, it's very early days. We were all excited about Salisu last season, and look what happened.

Luckily Salisu looks like he's finding his form again. What's the plural of 'colossus'? - Colossi? We have a pair of colossi at the back.

Osvaldorama likes this.
  14. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Firstly, we now have Bazunu in goal which really helps the two CB's in my opinion. He's dominant in the box and very vocal. Secondly, most of us are still excited about Salisu.

15. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Thirdly, I was actually being positive about Salisu. :emoticon-0172-mooni

(Also, I don't think it's fair to blame McCarthy/Forster for Salisu's end of season form)

milton archer and tomw24 like this.
  16. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Nope, but it's also not fair to single out Salisu. Everyone was ****. Maybe apart from KWP.

milton archer and Osvaldorama like this.
  17. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Agree on that. But I mentioned Sally for the obvious reason that he is also a CB, was new into the team, young, etc.

tomw24 likes this.
  18. Romsey_Saint

100% agree, l think he has the potential to be the next VVD. Looks to be on another level to Salisu and that should help Salisu improve (Salisu has looked better since partnered with ABK). As Tom has written, a quality keeper will provide a level of comfort to them both and l think we are seeing that too.

19. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

And having a beast like Lavia for protection in front helps both of them. Let’s hope he isn’t out too long!

20. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

There's improvement throughout the squad, besides the new players fitting in seamlessly Moussa, Che and Adarma in particular.