1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Comfortable wins

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by No Kane No Gain, Apr 20, 2016.

1. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

Man City(home) 4-1
    Bournemouth(away) 5-1
    West Ham(home) 4-1
    Norwich(home) 3-0
    Sunderland(home) 4-1
    Norwich(away) 3-0
    Bournemouth(home) 3-0
    Man Utd(home) 3-0
    Stoke(away) 4-0

9 wins by 3 or more goals. Did a quick check of City, Arsenal and Chelsea to see how we compared. City have 10(bastards!) whilst Arsenal have a pathetic 5 and Chelsea come in with 3.

I guess there's no real point to this other than "aren't we doing well?" <ok>

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Bloody impressive isn't it?

We'll be adding Chelsea (Away) 5-1 soon <whistle>

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

It's impressive when you compare it to Spurs of Spursy era-always sitting nervously in the last moments of the game just waiting to concede and give up our slender 1 goal advantage

4. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

29 of the +35 GD is accounted for right there.

And yes, the fact that only Citeh have achieved one more result of this type is another
    indicator of the good attacking form (might be joint top on this at least by end of season) .

As a final GD in the 40s looks certain, I would set the boys an end GD target of 50 now.

5. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As an outsider, the most impressive thing for me is that in a lot of those games you've spent time under the cosh/not really doing a lot but then to go into some sort of hyper mode where you blitz teams in a short space of time to leave them a bit bewildered which makes you a threat to anyone.

United, Stoke, Arsenal and Southampton are all games where you've scored goals in very quick succession.

6. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

Our list of defeats is also extremely encouraging, all coming at a margin of just one goal.

0-1 United
    1-2 Newcastle
    0-1 Leicester
    0-1 West Ham

Gone are the days of suffering abject humiliation at the hands of our rivals. I used to think 'oh here we go' whenever Spurs conceded first. Now I just sit patiently awaiting the equaliser.

7. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

How the feck can the Newcastle result be encouraging? They've only won 7 pts away from home and 3 of them were against us! We have to go to their place where they are pretty good as Citeh found out last night. Newcastle got robbed.

SpursDisciple likes this.
  8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

None of them are encouraging, they are all defeats!

The United game was a bizarre own goal, the Leicestet game was a stupid let winner. The worst performance of the lot was probably West Ham - and it, together with Newcastle, showed that even when we're having a terrible day at the office, we're still incredibly hard to beat. Spurs teams of the past would've gone to Upton Park, put in a shoddy performance and lost 4-0.

The only 'encouragement ' is that even at out worst we're still impressive.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

Which means the other 20 goals were conceded in 30 games.
    To concede 2 goals for every 3 games Spurs do not lose is again impressive.

10. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

We lost 7 matches in 1960/61. Including Man U away and Newcastle and Leicester at WHL! We also lost to WBA at WHL......

11. No Kane No Gain

Well we're going to have to disagree there. Against Southampton it was definitely the case as we were poor up until we scored and didn't really deserve the half-time lead, even if Southampton only had their own defence to blame. We certainly weren't under the cosh against a 10 man Arsenal when we levelled and took the lead, United only had one shot on target and we spent the 90 minutes getting progressively closer and closer to scoring before the dam broke, whilst Stoke just got played off the park for 90 minutes,

We certainly share the counterattacking pace though. Our attackers might not be as quick as the likes of Vardy and Okazaki but we move the ball very quickly when there's space to and with the numbers we commit forward it's very difficult for the defence to mark them all unless they leave plenty of defenders behind the ball.

12. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

The best description of our attacking play I think, is to say that we 'Swarm' as we move forward in numbers moving the ball very fast from player to player. The ball can move faster than any player can run and we take full advantage of that fact. All made possible with our impressive defence and Dier sweeping to great effect.

13. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

You've used the word poor, not me.

I don't think there is anything to argue with what i've said. In those games I mentioned you were either losing/not really looking like scoring for large parts of the game and yet you've come out with respectable results. That's a sign of a good team and you should take my compliment <ok>

14. No Kane No Gain

I know I used the word poor, I think it was a fair assessment of us in the Southampton game until we scored.

I thought we did look like scoring in those games. It wasn't our most fluent performance against United but we still had the Lamela sitter in the first half, plus Kane rounding De Gea only for a last ditch block from a defender and a fair few other chances. Van Gaal seems to agree with you so I can only guess you've been smoking the same stuff ;)

I get that it's a compliment but I also think it's doing us a disservice because we looked a threat throughout most of those games, not just in the 10 minute spells that we've scored a few goals in.

15. deedub93

Any change of getting RCL to repost this. Bad karma.

16. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

We didn't need to know this PS

17. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Surely if we lose to WBA that makes the season more like 60/61 so is good karma....

18. deedub93

Not if we lose 7 games in the season it isn't.

19. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

I see what AKCJ is saying and although I would use the term under the cosh to describe you, what I think he means and I've thought the same about your recent matches is that once you make the breakthrough, whether within 10 mins (Stoke) or 70 mins (Man U) you finish them off and force the opposition to fold. I started watching the Stoke game and turned over when Kane scored the first and you just knew where it was going. You've definitely taken a different approach to the run in to us (not that one way is more successful than another as its 3 points) but you can tell you're the chasing side with the freedom of the play. As we discovered last season, chasing is much easier than being in the position being chased

20. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

Spurs have had a lot of convincing wins this season, but the 5 point gap essentially boils down to one game - Spurs 0 Leicester 1. Spurs should have won - or certainly not lost. And the points swing is crucial at present.