1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Come on boy!

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by haslam, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Darren Peacock’s Ponytail

Darren Peacock’s Ponytail Well-Known Member

He played extremely well.

On a side note - only seen this Ryan Sessgnon (**** knows how to spell his name) play twice but not sure over the hype. He was anonymous yesterday (I know he scored). However, their RB looks good, Fredericks.

2. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

He’s done a fantastic job for them. Sessegnon deserves to go as understudy left back to the World Cup for me too. Like Shelvey and Lascelles it is a stretch to make a case having not been involved over the 2 years but he has been fantastic. Last night shows he has a head for the big occasion too. It was the same when he came to St James and we were the big game for everyone that season. He turned on the style. He’s the sort who could come off the bench in the World Cup and all of sudden we’d be forced to play him.

On Mitrovic though, he has literally transformed them into promotion contenders. They looked good and in the hunt. With him they nearly secured automatic and will go in as favourites for the final.

3. Warmir Pouchov

Does it when it matters but he hasn’t been as good of late and Jokanovic has been subbing him suggesting tiredness. Perhaps over used him.

Fredericks and Odoi have been excellent all season.

4. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Sessegnon plays left wing mostly these days doesn't he? Definitely shouldn't take him to the world cup whichever position.

I only saw the second half last night but I thought Mitrovic was so so. Couple of runs he didn't make in the box where he could have got on the end of a cross which was a criticism of him here.

5. Warmir Pouchov

All opinions. I think the lad is a bit special and is very comfortable on the wing or at left back. Very suited to the way we play and I think a good understudy to Bertrand. I like the idea of having versatility amongst your reserves. Sessegnon would give options all down the left side at any point in the game. The balance he would bring too if he play further up is something we haven't had since Waddle.

If Danny Rose, Leighton Baines or Luke Shaw were in any sort of form it would be a harder sell but all have struggled with injury and their form is pretty poor. Ashley Young will obviously be in the running, as would Delph. Again both offer flexibility so a good option. Its rare your starting full backs don't play all the games so its seems daft to overload with back up.

Then there is the future. I think taking a few younger lads is sensible and something the spanish and german side always do. We've benefitted before too with Owen and Rooney. That fearless energy is great in tournament football. Its a experience for them and they get loads out of it even if they don't play. Its better than an older player with the hump because he isn't playing.

I'd just be bolder and take the likes of Shelvey, Lascelles and Sessegnon. These are the form guys who are peaking at the right time.

JakartaToon likes this.
  6. General Lee Speaking

Owen and Rooney had played in the Premier League and as far as I can remember for England when they went to their first major tournament. Sessegnon is nowhere near their level, or experience. It's all hype at the moment. The only player I can think where we did this was with Walcott and I don't think it made any difference. It was a waste of a valuable World Cup squad place.

7. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with Free-Dor (reluctantly). I have no problems with taking young uns. Much more likely to raise their games, less tired after a long season and I would much rather watch them at least looking like it means something to them. Even if they don't get a game the experience will be good for them. We very rarely use all 22 players so no harm in adding them.

8. General Lee Speaking

Fine, but why Sessegnon and not one of the other hot prospects such as Phil Foden who looks absolute class?

9. JakartaToon

JakartaToon Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Slam him in as well - only argument would be that he has not being playing regular first team football. Also if it was a choice between him and Shelvey I would go with Shelvey.