1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coleman our new manager

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I have to say, I’m feeling really positive about this today.

He does always come across well, he’s not had a great club record but he’s done fantastic with Wales and let’s give him massive credit for walking away from a role he’s been idolised in to walk into the storm that is our beloved SAFC.

For that alone I give him credit and I’m right behind him, I think we will win today and hopefully a nice boost for him taking over.

2. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

The first part of international managers not having Edit lack of success looks good here -
    we don't do the norm so we could be flying high <cheers> or not <doh>

Class of 73 and clockstander like this.
  3. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

My humour is clearly lost on ya. I back all our managers sunny jim <ok>

4. red&white wanderer

No probs here my humour was lost in 2D translation my reply was a tongue in cheek :-the:emoticon-0158-time: before we get our Welsh rarebit

Brian Storm likes this.
  5. Charley Farley

Charley Farley Well-Known Member

This is a win win situation for Coleman.

We still are a big club with massive potential.
    True, we are ****e at the moment but we are capable of getting back into the premiership in a couple of seasons time and with a new owner could become similar to how Everton used to be.

One day we will get a manager who will click into place and we will start getting things right again.
    It wasn’t long ago we were selling out for home games with Reidy.

If it works for CC then his stock will shoot right up (and we won’t lose him to the Wales job)
    He may get a shot at one of the top 6 though.

If he fails he’s just another one affected by ‘toxic sunderland’ where most managers fail anyway.

Of all the clubs outside the premiership we have the best potential.

6. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

I’m happy with this

7. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

8. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

He's better than McLaren !

9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

So Coleman has confirmed it himself, and he’s at the AOL taking training today, yet our ****house joke of a club is yet to put out a statement.

Yet another clear sign of the absolute train wreck that the club is in. This is actually quite a high profile appointment and the PR teams have managed to make it yet another clumsy, unprofessional mess.

It’s ludicrous - we expect the players to be pros, and the same should apply to the off field staff.

Dorset, Nordic, Gil T Azell and 4 others like this.
  10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Surely they could have put up a short statement on the web site just to confirm the new manager and then add the unveiling photos / interview later.
    Coleman has already confirmed the appointment - when switching on the Christmas lights in Newport. <cracker> <laugh>

Nads likes this.

11. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

It's official . . . .
    Sunderland AFC are delighted to announce Chris Coleman as the club’s new manager 19.11.17

The Welshman has signed a two-and-a-half-year deal at the Stadium of Light and arrives on the back of six memorable years as Wales boss, during which time he managed his country into the top ten of FIFA’s world rankings and an incredible run to the semi-finals of Euro 2016.

The 47-year-old was highly sought-after, but chose Sunderland as the fifth club of his managerial career, following spells with Fulham, Real Sociedad, Coventry City and AEL.

Coleman took his first training session this morning and will be in charge for the Black Cats’ midweek Sky Bet Championship clash with Aston Villa.

Speaking to safc.com, chief executive Martin Bain welcomed Coleman to Wearside.
    “The football club has conducted a thorough process over the last three weeks to identify the best manager for the job, before and after which Chris was the clear first choice.

“We are delighted that he and Kit Symons, his assistant manager, have joined us, and are now focused on working together to get the football club moving in the right direction.”
    . . . . and after being named as the club's new manager, Coleman spoke about his delight.

“It’s an honour to be appointed the manager of Sunderland A.F.C. and I’m over the moon that the club believes that I am the right man.

“The club worked incredibly hard to make sure that we were a good fit and to show me the potential that can be achieved here."

He added: “I believe that every person at this football club, every player and every supporter, has a part to play in getting us back to where we belong.”

red&white wanderer, Nads and RTB like this.
  12. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

About time too

C19RK73 likes this.
  13. red&white wanderer

Edit It shows how pleased he is to be here that he announced it before the club - no big deal there.
    A positive opening statement from our new manager is so welcome - I feel that we are heading upwards in a big way - a decent confident keeper required though. EDIT and a sports psychologist?
    All systems CC'd <applause>..... Haway the Lads

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Gil T Azell likes this.
  14. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

Ecstatic about this, I was convinced that we would end up with Oshea.

When you consider where we are and the options available, this is a cracking appointment.

15. E.T. Fairfax

E.T. Fairfax Well-Known Member

Here's hoping that he will cut the mustard!

16. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

I've been out all day and have just popped in for the odd 5 minutes or so out on the golf course, and in the pub after that.

So my apologies if I'm mistaken, but did Coleman announce he was taking the training session today / tomorrow, before, BEFORE, the club officially announced him as our manager.

If that really is true; seriously wtf!!!

Just who is in charge of our club and how could that be allowed to happen.

Just one more example, if it's true, of the rank amateurish management of this once proud club!

If I'm totally out of sync on that, then my apologies to whoever!

17. Lostinvegas

Lostinvegas Well-Known Member

A colleague who worked in football in the NE for many years told me last week that the club made over a hundred redundancies when we got relegated. Maybe they are just understaffed? or the other hand, my experience of sporting franchises has led me to believe having clueless people working in senior positions is the norm not the exception to the rule.

Burly Hurley likes this.
  18. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Hope he brings Ben Davies with him.

19. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

Aye they were announced mid way through last season when the lads jetted off to New York for a training camp.

Think it’s been a bit of a ‘jobs for the boys’ kinda scenario and far too many people in far to few jobs.

Our PR is an utter shambles and has been for years.

20. red&white wanderer

Seems to be about his prior announcement but imo it shows his eagerness to be here and it's more a poor PR admin problem at our club.
    Most importantly his trusted right hand man is in tow - it is a real toppa coup getting CC. I fact I'm feeling dangerously positive for Sunderland - hope it doesn't all go wrong so I'll keep :emoticon-0127-lipss and have a caffeine fix :emoticon-0162-coffe:emoticon-0162-coffe