1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Coaching

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I've said this elsewhere, all I'm looking for is progress. An improvement on the season before. How many others said the same last season and the season before? If we finished 3rd last season what were people's expectations this season? I don't think we've improved and I see a re-run of previous seasons.

We may very well finish Top 4 again but nothing so far suggests we'll achieve anything more than that.

Firstly, this isn't simply about trophies, it's about a team/squad coming together, with a collective style of football with solid performances in each area of the pitch, and a winning mentality.

And within that you need to see players improving. I can't name a single player who's improved under Ole. De Gea is a mess - is it a coincidence that the goalkeeping coach left last year and he's been **** since? The full-backs are inconsistent and haven't progressed. Pogba is as poor as ever, Fernandes isn't the player he was 8 months ago, Greenwood's form has dipped, James is going backwards, Martial still runs into cul de sacs. The only one anyone can possibly point to and say has improved is Fred but even that is tenuous because his first season was poor to begin with and even now, for every 2 good games he'll have a poor one.

It's obvious the coaching is either non-existent or simply not good enough to develop our players' game. Just think coaching is a big part of the problem and should be discussed.

2. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

It would help.

Fergie wasn't a great coach but he was a superb manager who employed good coaches, Solskjaer is neither of those things.

Phelan is an assistant manager, not a coach, and Carrick doesn't have anywhere near the experience or nous to coach this team at this level.

It's too late for Ole though, it will never work so he needs to go and whoever comes in can sort the coaching.

We're a right shambles at the minute, the clocks ticking on him as the media have fully got hold of it and, once that happens, Woodward just follows suit.

3. Christiansmith

Christiansmith Well-Known Member

Unless the team and Ole get a grip and arrest the slide in the premiership then Woodward will be on standby ready to pull the trigger. Having said that, history has shown that the GGs will only fire the manager if CL is missed or at risk of being missed and United suffer a financial penalty from its sponsors. They don’t care about trophies. Why would they fire a manager when they’ve just won the most prestigious domestic cup in the world? They were more interested in money. If by December we are far away from the top 4 he’ll be fired to give the next manager a chance. If we are around 5-7 there is no away Ole will be sacked. To the greedy GGs a fourth place and above is the key requirement.

How many times have we seen Ole pull a rabbit out of the hat just as the trigger was being pulled? That has been the hallmark of his United tenure. A few weeks ago, everyone was talking about Pochetino after we’ve had such a poor start. Ole then goes on to beat PSG in Paris. And when people carried on moaning about our OT form he most improbably beat the form team of the German league, Leipzig. The first season he was supposed to be fired at the end of the season. He goes on an incredible unbeaten run and beat PSG in a knockout CL match. Just as he was going to be fired last season for a very poor first half of the season he goes on an unbeaten run during the lockdown and gets a very improbable 3rd. Ole is unsackable :D

Diego likes this.
  4. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Frankly, I can see Ole getting fired if we lose to Everton

5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I was listening to an interview with Evra, totally unrelated, and he was talking about how Queiroz was a great coach, but he also said Queiroz speaking French made it a lot easier.

I'm wondering whether this is a factor at the moment for some of our foreign players' coaching and development at the club?

6. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

Not so sure, look at Rooney - he could barely speak English and he did ok for a while.

Treble likes this.
  7. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Yeah, so can I .

And quite rightly if we do lose to them.

Winning causes us an issue though doesn't it, as it essentially keeps him in his job, and that's exactly the type of thing that Ole era United does.

glazerfodder likes this.