1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Club watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The RDBD, Jun 30, 2017.

1. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

WTF are you doing here wasting time on this ??
    That 'virtual pee-sock' tuition app is not going to code itself.

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

<laugh>

3. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I hope it comes with a slider, allowing you to colour the sock based on the water intake of the person who pissed on it...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Should I ask if Danny Rose is hoping for a big tax break?

5. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

I want a frequency setting, so I can set it to throw one sock per minute.

6. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

He did make some ****ish comments though about it being “bizzare” that people are making comments about players not taking pay cuts and basically saying they’d rather donate to charity (can anyone say tax benefits?) rather than take a pay cut to protect their clubs and the employees and contractors of the clubs.

Fair play that he is at least doing something though I suppose.

7. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Kept away from the debate so far but a couple of thoughts I would like to raise.

1) We don't know who are the members of staff being put on furlough. It is not necessarily only those on minimum wage. Where other teams have committed to continue to pay their casual staff; do we actually have any casual staff? Our match day staff are agency workers and we don't employ them . The non-playing staff are administrative, Spurs shop staff ( who probably are on low wages) the ex-players who work on match days and probably earn a decent amount, People like Coyte, who as above are on decent salaries.
    2) As far as players salaries go, it is not just now that they become disgusting and there should always be more of an outcry. Some players earn more in a month than I will earn in my lifetime- that is what I find revolting and puts me off football. I have mentioned before how I hate the fact that I am addicted to the game and wish I could get out and therefore I am ''enjoying'' this period without it and strangely it is helping my heart. Unfortunately, I also know that when it restarts I will get back into it.
    Even the lower paid players are on 100 grand a week! How many of you earn that in a year? 2 years? 3 years? And I bet you work a lot harder? Be disgusted always and not just now!
    3) I question the FFP set up. If teams like Juventus and Barca are struggling to pay their players because of the lockdown so soon, then how do they pass the FFP rules. They clearly don't have the finances. Maybe a test similar to the bank stress test would be a better set up to make sure clubs are on a sound footing financially.
    4) Back to furloughing. 25% of the PL clubs have now gone there. Maybe it will become the more prudent approach. Maybe the clubs that are not backed by an owner who ploughs his own millions ( or the billions of a country's wealth ) into the club will be forced into such a stance.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

The PFA seems to be justifying its stance on the basis that the lost tax if the players take a pay cut will harm the NHS.
    Everyone seems to have lost sight of where the money actually comes from to pay the players....that is the fans. Most of whom are going to be a lot poorer than they were a few weeks ago.
    It is completely unrealistic for football to continue the way it has. People say the clubs are rich but that is only true for a handful. Most of them are simply vehicles for transferring large sums of money from the fans to the players. The revenue stream has more or less completely disappeared. Most clubs have zero or negative reserves. Even the ones with financial strength can't continue to pay players' salaries for more than a few months without going bust. Some owners are wealthy enough to make up the difference but are banned from doing so by FFP rules.

9. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Yes players wages are ridiculous but is that the players fault? We have a country, and large parts of the world, where people voted for this kind of disparity. There was a time (in my lifetime) where players were exploited being paid quite small amounts in a business that generated thousands for the owners.Now we have people like Mike Ashley or Jeff Bezos who accumulate millions and millions while paying their staff peanut wages. It's how humans are. We have just had an election where Corbyn's more sharing values are described as crazy and foolhardy and many ordinary working folk voted against that and for Boris the land owning Toff who knows all about keeping and growing his own wealth. People voted for this inequality and have done since 1979. So it's little surprise that some people end up rich and an ever growing number are poor. People still pay to go and see clubs like Spurs, Clubs who do not need to charge such high prices to their fans, a huge part of their revenue now comes from TV and sponsorship and even sales of clothing. Peoples loyalty to their clubs are exploited. The system we use is cruel and discriminating but the people are to blame. They voted for it. Look at the example of Sunderland (the city) they voted for Brexit when 7000 workers in the city and therefore probably at least 40,000 people overall rely on the Nissan motor corp. for a job. A corporation that is there because of the EU market. Will they stay? It seems to me a big risk that almost a fifth of the population of that city have taken.The system we use is cruel and discriminating but the people are to blame. They voted for it.

10. PowerSpurs

On your third point, FFP is about breaking even. It isn't about having reserves. The current situation is unprecedented and I don't think FFP could be expected to deal with it. But it could actually make it worse by theoretically preventing owners from adding capital.
    Spurs are probably in a unique situation of having a large debt secured on the income from the stadium which is currently zero. As is usual in these curcumstances that is a bigger problem for the lenders than the club as the stadium is worthless without the club. But the club's total cash reserves probably don't let it pay the players for more than 6 months or so in the absence of revenue. Possibly a lot less as we've spent a lot on players since the accounting date.

11. PowerSpurs

Completely agree. But the people are constantly fed a diet of propaganda that justifies capitalism and there are a lot who are not capable of spotting that. I don't think it is moral for people to take advantage of that.

remembercolinlee and Spurf like this.
  12. humanbeingincroydon

...and then the PFA play the ultimate coward's card: say that if players take a wage cut, the NHS will be harmed

**** off. Just **** off.

BobbyD, afcftw and remembercolinlee like this.
  13. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Levy may be breaking the law. The company that I work for have taken legal advice and they are topping up people who being furloughed if it has taken them below the minimum wage for their contracted hours. If any of the Spurs staff fall into this category they should get lawyers involved.

Diego and remembercolinlee like this.
  14. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Erm, surely it can take them under the minimum wage since they aren’t allowed to actually do any work during that period? It hadn’t even crossed my mind tbh.

15. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

Just had a quick look and the first thing I’ve found is HMRC saying if you furlough and apprentice they are allowed to keep doing the training aspect as long as wages are topped up to minimum wage for the hours that they are training. So not for all their hours. So it would appear I was right with my initial assumption that furlough can take you under minimum wage without breaking any law.

16. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

They are allowed to do H&S training up to their allotted hours and pensions etc. are unaffected. Basically they are still employees. I don't know whether or not the accrue holidays.

17. afcftw

afcftw Well-Known Member

I’ve had a quick look and employers don’t have to top up to the minimum wage for furlough employees.

It also counts as continuous employment so employees maintain any benefits related to length of service etc... so i also assume holidays are accrued as normal.

18. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Did Britain think Boris is their savior? Or did they like his haircut?

Did the USA Judiciary/College Committee think the people were wrong to give Hillary the peoples majority vote then give Trump the Presidentcy to fill their own pockets?

Politics stinks!

19. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

That will be a real comfort to the 40% that aren't i'm sure.

BobbyD and Lovearsenalcock like this.
  20. humanbeingincroydon

Yeah, about your club's wooly use of the word "casual staff" when asked...