1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Club finances

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by ccfcremotesupport, Feb 18, 2020.

1. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

2. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

Ok he’s staying but it’d be good to see a bit more ambition in the summer if Tan wants to get his club promoted.

Basic commerce would suggest the club would be more valuable if it were in the PL and so produce more cash for him if he was to sell. That needs better purchases than Warnock brought in this summer.

3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

We're back to the much debated "ambition". What does it mean?
    I think converting all the debt to equity is ambition.
    Not sure that chucking money at players necessarily is.
    We need an amount of money to be spent no doubt, but wisely. Not something we've been good at in Tan's reign.

clingo likes this.
  4. FrankfurterBlue

FrankfurterBlue Well-Known Member

Basic commerce probably suggests it is better never to get involved in football clubs!!!!

clingo and ccfcremotesupport like this.
  5. ninian opinion

By ambition I refer to getting the club into the PL and sustaining its presence there rather than a one season at a time.

I agree obviously that it needs financial prudence but it appears to me at least that he’s not going to go down the free spending of Mackay and Warnock again.

So why doesn’t he disband his hopeless transfer committee and replace it with football people who know what they’re doing not laymen like Dalman and Choo.

VT states the offers aren’t in the clubs interests so does that mean he is thinking of the fans? I hope so.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The message from Dalman is that Tan turned down the offers in the interests of the club. The very fact that Dalman has gone public stating "offers have been made" is significant. Tan has always said that if the right offer was made he'd sell the club so it suggests he's listening.

His interest in football in general seems to be on the wane with his recent sale of FC Sarajevo to that Vietnamese bloke, and looking to sell his shareholding in his LAFC MLS franchise. I read somewhere he also refused to invest in the redevelopment proposal of the Kortrijk stadium/retail complex at his Belgian club. All this may suggest after some 10 years now, he's become disillusioned with the whole football thing.

Wouldn't be at all surprised to have new owners at the club withing the next 12 months. Probabaly the main obstacles to a straightforward deal right now is the uncertainty over the Sala affair and the Hamman ongoing legal disputes which would both have an influence on any offers currently being made. They'd have to be factored in and once those are sorted, I reckon he'll be gone.

7. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

That being the case, I hope he on sells to people who will have the interests of the club, fans and area in general at heart, and not simply to asset strippers, as has happened elsewhere. <whistle>

8. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

I wonder who they may be.......... If I'm honest football is a mess and spending money you don't have is a good reason for this mess.

The only clubs that matter are the big boys who bring in global monies the rest of us are just there for old times sake.

Tan will do what he wants and we will just have to wait and see what the future brings........fingers crossed he gives a fk for us but my guess is he loves money more.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well from what's being said by Dalman, that would appear to be the case. Also from what we've learned about Tan this past 10 years, he is less likely to grab the money and run like at some other clubs.

It's not just that he just doesn't need the money, it's more about the integrity of the man who'd rather leave a lasting legacy for what he's brought in to the club rather than what he's taken out of it.

BluefromBridgend likes this.
  10. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

aber - agree with all that. However, I think Tan actually does have a genuine feeling for the club, but has become disillusioned with the game altogether. Time will tell whether his moral obligations as some see it actually outweigh his desire to recoup his investement - or as much of it as he can get back.

If money was Tan's only motive then he would have invested the £160M he's stuck into City into one of his other many companies rather than us. He probably have more than doubled his money over the past 10 years rather than have to capitalise his loans - he certainly wont make any money on his investment during time at the club. In fact, he decided to write off legitimate interest due to him on his loans to avoid sanctions as well as the capitalisations.

I get where some are coming from in saying Tan is just a money man looking to make a buck or two, but even he must have known the risks and decided to take them on at the time. It wasn't a sane move of an investor to fund the ongoing club losses together the HMRC and Hamman/Langston legal challenges at the time, and certainly not the action of an asset stripper.

BluefromBridgend likes this.

11. aberdude

aberdude Well-Known Member

Good post dude...... I'll give him full support for what he's done and respect than man for admitting he did wrong when he changed our colours..... And until anything changes the future is bright and breezy.

In tan I gotta trust <cheers>

Oldsparkey likes this.
  12. ninian opinion

I can’t see a buyer being put off by the delay in the Sala case and certainly not by the spurious and vexatious claim by Hamman. Indemnities would be put in place for such contingencies.

I’m with OS’ view VT has seemingly lost interest in football.

Whatever happens if anything happens as BfB posts, us fans are the most important consideration.