1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Claude Puel clinging onto his job

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by Proud Fox, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Foxy in Foyle

Foxy in Foyle Well-Known Member

We need to do something, we've gone from Fearless to spineless and clueless.

2. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

As a Southampton fan, I am intrigued by these posts because the exactly mirror the comments Saints fans were making last years about Puel. We finished eighth and were losing finalised in the league Cup yet many fans did not like the style of football and a lack of wins at the tail end of the season spelt the end for him as the board pondered loss of season ticket sales.

Puel knows what he is doing but the style of football he presents is not enjoyable to watch and I understand that this approach also alienated the Lyon fans when he was manager of that club. What cannot be known is how well Claude Puel would have done in a second season at Saints. There was an impression that he had learned by his mistakes and had become a better manager at Leicester. However, our poor performance this season does have it's antecedents with Claude Puel as the team forgot how to play the attractive style of football produced under Pochettino and Koeman. Seeing Puel serve a second term at Leicester should be able to offer a clearer clue as to his ability but I would worry that his negative style of football will not help your recruiting process. It is fascinating as there is always an element of what might have been for Saints in watching Leicester yet the news we are hearing down south reiterates our own experience and concerns with Puel unable to garner undying loyalty from fans even if the more pragmatic of supporters gave him the benefit of the doubt. The issue for me is that there are certainly more capable British managers than Puel and it seems crazy importing managers from a country where the top flight resembles that of Scottish football with only a handful of decent teams. In my opinion, Puel is mediocre but not incompetent like Pellegrino.

3. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Shaun Dyche

4. BucksFox

BucksFox Well-Known Member

I feel we are a team at a crossroads at the moment. We still have some of the old guard who are used to playing counter attacking football (particularly Vardy) and a manager who wants to play possession football, and we are falling between two stools. He isn't helping his cause by picking out of form players who are costing us goals over ones who have proven themselves as better choices. Consequently morale looks to be pretty low, and that could lead to the risk of some players to start looking for better opportunities elsewhere.

We can't keep changing the manager otherwise we'll never get the continuity we need and will be for ever changing styles of play. Saying that, Puel was always an underwhelming choice for me. Is he human or an outdated form of AI with his monotone voice, lack of passion and stock phrases? He might have an admirable policy of giving youngsters a chance, but his first thought should be to win football matches. Leicester City isn't a giant youth opportunities scheme.

With new found wealth and a league title behind them, the team should be doing much better. We would have been happy with ninth position three seasons ago. But not now. We must have spent £80 million or more 'improving and strengthening' the team. And what do we have to show for it? We start off well with a new manager but quickly fall back to being even worse than when he arrived. If you look at Burnley on the one hand and Liverpool and Manchester City on the other, you have teams who are polar opposites in terms of spending power. But the thing they have in common is a passionate manager who has the complete backing of his players who are willing to fight for each other. The other thing that gets a team success is a master tactician, like Mourinho. You'd never accuse him of having a close relationship with his players, but he can set up a team to win matches. We seem to have neither.

According to the Daily Star (so no chance it is true) we are interested in Benitez. He ticks a few of the boxes when it comes to tactical nous and has experience, and he should get the confidence and respect of the players. But, whoever is at the helm, he will have a few difficult and maybe unpopular decisions to make about who stays and who goes before we can move forward.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  5. southernfox

southernfox Member

I am sorry but the guy is totally clueless!

I am not a expert but when playing teams like the Palace you know that the likes of Zaha & Townsend are going to run at our defence, so to play Albrighton there instead of Simpson is just stupid. I would have packed the midfield with as much experience as possible to stem their opportunities. In my opinion Puel did ok when he arrived because he did not try to charge the why we play and kept the players constant in the first 10 games or so and we did OK but after that he started to change things, firstly he stops us playing our natural way of counter attacking we must now play out from the back and keep passing sideways.

We also must stop feeding Vardy with long balls, how he has score as many as he has is testament to his class. Is is when it all started to going pear shaped, results went down overnight and I have even noticed players looking at the bench for approval after a long pass up field. In their day Morgan and Huth were brilliant because we went back to basics and cleared our line well up field, even the KS would use his long kicks to start counter attacks.

This team was built over many year to our strengths we can’t change passing team over night and managers who keep playing player out of position deserve everything thing they get!

Bye Puel the sooner the better.

6. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

Geoff Peters

Leicester have first option to buy Aleksandar Dragović for €20m from Bayer Leverkusen this summer but the Austrian defender is unhappy at #lcfc due to lack of first team opportunities. However he would consider making the loan move permanent if there was a managerial change.

You can’t really blame Dragović for having this view. He’s barely put a foot wrong when involved yet is playing second fiddle to a defender who gets picked on reputation and the armband, despite worsening displays. I think most #lcfc fans will be disappointed if he doesn’t stay.

FosseFilberto likes this.
  7. JohnTheFox

JohnTheFox Well-Known Member

8. Proud Fox

Alot of wispers Puel has been sacked

Please be true

9. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

Where have you heard this?

10. Proud Fox

Its died down now but it was all over twitter and there was a newspaper report aswell

11. Proud Fox

12. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

I think the decisions made, but they will wait for the last game before pulling the trigger. Keeping Vardy & co happy will be top priority.

13. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

.... it is criminal that he is behind Wes when you look at respective performances .... love Wes for what he has achieved ... but sentiment does not win games ...

: lcfc