1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City v Grimsby

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

Glasgow Rangers?

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  2. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Might get away with that as long as you don't say you are an FC or Rovers fan as well. Rugby fans with a favourite football club which isn't City have no chance.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  3. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Any PL shirt wearing customer enters at their own risk of being ridiculed.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Often worn by people that hate football, yet follow an out of town team, and call themselves "Football Club" fans.

Tickton Tiger. likes this.
  5. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Well, if I earned over 100x more than my support staff I'd probably consider it.

You're not going to win using teaching analogies when it comes to money <laugh>

6. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

Shame lovely little shop.
    Best get down there den and start buying

Iconic Newland Avenue shop is closing its doors after 40 years
    Customers have dubbed it an 'Aladdin's cave'
    Dan Kemp
    A shop that has been a cornerstone of life in Newland Avenue for decades is to close for good.

Beauty Box has welcomed generations of the same families into its "Aladdin's cave" for more than 40 years but its owners have finally decided to call time on the Avenues institution.

Sally Andrews, 55, and Ann Wood, 68, have co-owned the business since 2001 and have both spent a large period of their lives serving behind the till.

In total, the pair have spent 67 years selling Beauty Box's assortment of household and fashion products, even committing to order in items that they didn't have in stock.

The shop came from humble beginnings but rose in popularity through the decades, until beginning to struggle to attract customers in recent years.

please log in to view this image

Ann Wood and Sally Andrews are closing Beauty Box after more than 40 years in Newland Avenue(Image: Kate Pugh)
    "We're closing because we have not had a good couple of years. It has gone downhill," said Ann, who began working there in 1992.

"We've been losing customers for a few years. It is different down the avenue. A lot of people have moved on.

"It is going to be a very sad day when we close "

The treasure trove will close in October in a move that will be a huge change to the pair.

"It is a very big change in our life - not just working but in our home life as well," Sally said.

"It will be very sad. It's our life really.

"We both worked here. I came to work here in May 1981. I've worked here for 39 years and Ann came here in June 1992.

"We took over back in April 2001. Our boss wanted to retire so he offered it to us. As far as I know it started as a market stall and progressed into a shop.

"It was always selling exactly the same. It opened back in December 1979 as a Christmas store but it carried on into what we do now. It's an Aladdin's cave."

Its recognisable shop front has been a mainstay of Newland Avenue (Image: Kate Pugh)
    Beauty Box opened all the way back in December 1979 and means many different things for the generations who have relied on it so heavily.

From selling makeup to household essentials, it had become locally famous for its ability to stock almost anything a customer could ask for.

It will close on Saturday, October 24 having served the Avenues community for over 40 years - but Sally and Ann's memories will always be filled with the customers who they were always there for.

Beauty Box has been described as an 'Aladdin's cave' (Image: Kate Pugh)
    "We want to give a big thank you for the support from the customers," Sally said.

"As people have found out about us closing they have been thanking us and leaving us presents."

Shoppers and neighbours still have another month to thank the pair and their other staff members who have made such a difference to the community they support.

7. Steven Toast

This is what I was referring to. Instead of the insane amounts of money being handed to the PL clubs just for being in that league, you could take a fraction of that money and set it aside for the EFL as a solidarity payment (larger than the meagre sum they get at the moment). It's not right that you've got professional clubs struggling to exist, but you've got Man United chucking £90m at one player. It isn't the responsibility of the individual clubs to put their hand in their pocket, I get that, but by the same token, the way money is shared in professional football is incredibly top heavy and what's happening is an inevitable end product of that system. You're never going to see the likes of Tranmere Rovers or Cambridge United in the Premier League without some billionaire lobbing cash at them.

Newland Tiger likes this.
  8. Barchullona

Should be like Cuba. Teachers get the same as road sweepers, bus drivers and everyone else.

9. Barchullona

Blame those who negotiated the broadcasting contracts.

10. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Whether you can see it or not the question is whether they had been in close contact with enough of the other players over the few days before. If they had then all of those they had been in close contact with should have isolated according to the Govt rules. If that left enough from their squad to play then no need to cancel.
    Apparently though they seem to be suggesting that no other players had been in physical contact for any amount of time, closer than 1m for 15mins or travelled near, the ones that tested positive
    Maybe true but I find it difficult to believe

balkan tiger likes this.

11. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Wasn’t like most shops. The person in charge knew where everything was!

Review - Excellent service, shall definitely use this emporium again. 5 stars.

12. Steven Toast

What's with your dislike of teachers? Is it the holidays that annoy you? I get the feeling you were wronged at some point.

We don't earn a lot relative to how much we work, but nobody gets into teaching for the money.

13. Steven Toast

I do. Which was the Premier League. Like I said, I don't want the likes of Fulham and Sheffield United having to hand over money, but the money they are given doesn't need to be an astronomical sum.

Of course, they're given that money so that they can go out and buy the best players and make the league more exciting, but as a result, it's nigh on killed the lower leagues.

14. Ric Glasgow

Emporium....LOL:emoticon-0102-bigsm

dennisboothstash likes this.
  15. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

Not forgetting that lower league teams also provide the PL teams with a lot of players. 10% skim on PL revenue would go a long way to keeping lower league clubs that are far more heavily dependent on gate revenue to stay in business.

16. Ric Glasgow

Maybe he had a spell in an Irish Industrial School...

17. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Its so sad to see Newland Ave decimated. Bowyers, Steves wet fish shop, Pools Corner, Shires chippy and all the rest gone. Its all takeaways, nailbars and student letting shops. My old gran would turn in her grave.

I wish I was 10 again.

18. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I was just going to type the toy shop and can I hellas like remember the name !!????
    And it had Goodfellas before Robert de Niro !!!

19. Barchullona

Yes, and Rick Parry now earning a wedge at the EFL,was instrumental about bringing about the present situation so detrimental to lower league clubs when involved with the setting up the PL and organising broadcasting rights.

Chazz Rheinhold likes this.
  20. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

Did you get the same as a road sweeper when you were working?