1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

City v Arsenal FA Cup semi Final

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by remembercolinlee, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

He already came out a couple months back and said he doesnt bother training to defend with his squad. Which was fine at Barca when your team spends 85 minutes in the opponents half and have 75% possession. Not so good in the PL tho

2. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Hopefully this'll put an end to the Chelsea arsenal love in on the Premier board...thats simply getting sticky and nauseating for everyone else:emoticon-0132-envy:

3. Bodinki

Bodinki You're welcome
    Forum Moderator

Well done Gooners see you at Wembley and good luck for the rest of the season (except in the final of course :p)

4. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

I've got my doubts about Pep and he's definitely the worst from the top bunch. I guess it's easier when you manage two of the best teams in the world, with the best players.

5. enigma

enigma Well-Known Member

Well i am happy that we showed some fight and desire in this game, regardless of the score. If some of the players had put in this much effort throughout the season we would be 6-9 points better off in the league. i don't mind my team losing if they have given there all, but the last couple of months it has looked like the players did not give a ****, at least today was different.

6. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

As much as I criticize Wenger, I will give credit where credit is due.

Getting to 3 FA Cup finals in 4 years is no mean feat whatsoever. Even when facing lower-league opposition, anything can happen in a one-off game and we've always maintained our professionalism. We've actually got an extremely good record in this competition, so long may that continue.

I thought we were going to get pummelled today and wasn't convinced by the 3-4-3 against a team like City, but we looked pretty sturdy in defence, our midfield was cohesive and we looked menacing when we did break forward. We looked a far more balanced outfit compared to previous games.

Have to give a shout-out to Gabriel who had a very good game against all odds. And Chamberlain/Monreal too, who were both superb as wing backs. Ramsey and Xhaka put in mature albeit unspectacular displays as well.

Regardless of the outcome in the final, I still would like Wenger to leave at the end of the season, but it would be a nice way for him to bow out with a 7th FA Cup win.

winifred122 and Sign Da Ting like this.
  7. lazarus20000

That and Wenger trying something different. I can never understand why it takes him so long to do this. I wonder if he'll carry this on next season.

8. Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane Danny Rosebud

They should make top 4 as their run-in is far, far easier than United's after the Manc derby next week. But after massive expenditure in the market, failing to improve on Pellegrini has to be seen as an abject failure.

As for today, I actually didn't think they played badly at all, given the early loss of Silva, incorrectly disallowed goal and lack of a right-back. They were all over you in the 1st half and even in the 2nd half when it was more evenly balanced, they hit the woodwork twice. Overall, it was a pretty evenly matched game between two sides with pretty glaringly obvious flaws. I think the difference at the end of the day was that you put in 110% effort - especially your back 5 who I thought were superb throughout. You wanted it more. As others have said, if your players had shown similar effort across the season, you wouldn't be languishing in 7th place.

9. BrunelGooner

BrunelGooner Well-Known Member

On a sidenote, Guardiola's first season in English football hasn't gone to plan at all. 11 points off the top, knocked out in the R16 in the CL, knocked out in the quarters of the League Cup and lost a semi-final to an Arsenal team who haven't looked great in recent months.

It's been underwhelming given all the expectations everyone had of him. Hope he doesn't escape criticism in the media for some of his poor tactical decisions.

10. Sign Da Ting

Sign Da Ting Well-Known Member

Happy to be in a final. Especially at the expense of Fraudiola.

remembercolinlee likes this.

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

There is not a hope in hell that Pep will be criticised by the media...they will simply continue tapping up tottenham players (Walker, Rose, Dele) Arsenal players (Sanchez) etc etc on his behalf.

He has been a flop ... £170m spent when you already have Aguero, Silva, Hart, Toure, Company, Navas etc to be no better is a farce...and long may it continue

ValleyGraduate12 likes this.
  12. lazarus20000

I hope Pep doesn't escape criticism but he needs another season and summer transfer activity before we can fully judge him. But so far he hasn't looked like the second coming that the media have portrait him as and to be out thought by Wenger on the pitch is quite damning.

I couldn't see any of these teams beating Chelsea in the final before the game began and the end of the game has reinforced that. Both teams have too many flaws.

Citizen Kane likes this.
  13. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Peps a great manager. He has just inherited a mediocre squad Man City squad. Mourinho or Klopp would do no better with this team.
    Its unbalanced and needs an overhaul.

Some real TOP quality: Aguero, De Bruyne, Jesus.
    some ageing players past their best: Silva, Yaya, Kompany. Sagna, Zabaleta.
    and a bunch of mediocre players.. Otamendi, Navas, Clichy, Fernandinho, Fernando, Sterling, Delph, Nolito..

14. lazarus20000

Granted it may not be the most balanced but they are hardly mediocre. He has enough quality to be doing better, as should Wenger. The last time I checked, Spurs haven't got an amazing squad, but it is well balanced and Poch gets the most out of it in terms of coaching and tactics.

But is there a lot of difference in quality between the top 6 teams? If you want to talk a major difference then look at Germany and Spain. Bayern, Real and Barca have a monopoly of all the best players. The PL is much more competitive. Conte and Poch have clearly been the two best coaches and it's reflected in their league positions and quality of play.

Citizen Kane and Sign Da Ting like this.
  15. lazarus20000

If anything Klopp has the worst squad from the top 6. He inherited some real sh1t and still has some of the players. He's had the toughest task from any of the coaches.

16. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Just back from the Food Festival. Heard the last 15 mins on the Radio.

****ing chuffed as ****. COME ON YOU GUNNERS !!!!!!

Sign Da Ting likes this.
  17. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

People are just bitter.

Pep came to Barca offloaded a bunch of players changed their style of play and won the league 3 times. (and the Champions league twice.) He then went to Bayern and won the league 3 times.

Now at Manchester City he hasn't immediately won the league in his first Season and people are already calling him 'over-rated'. What a bunch of jokers.

winifred122 likes this.
  18. lazarus20000

Who is bitter? You can't escape the fact that he had the very best players can you? Also are you saying he hasn't made any mistakes with his team?

Of course it's an achievement, especially with Barca, but having the very elite of players does bring you success. I mean who wouldn't win with players like Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, etc. Also, it's not a huge achievement winning the German league with Bayern, especially when you're poaching the second best teams players. But as i said earlier, we need to hold fire until next season, when he is able to buy his own players and make changes to the team. I'll say the same thing for Mourinho, Conte and to a lesser extent Klopp, who's inherited some right rubbish.

BrunelGooner and Sign Da Ting like this.
  19. Shwan71

Shwan71 Active Member

well done .. best of luck at the final

Sign Da Ting, winifred122 and PINKIE like this.
  20. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Thanks mate. Absolutely chuffed that we've got another final to look forward to. Didn't see the game today, but looking forward to watching the highlights later. Hopefully this will galvanise Arsenal for the run in and we might still end up with a trophy this season <ok>