1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Chris Solly’s testimonial v Aston Villa

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Jul 21, 2019.

1. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Attendance given as 7,500 <doh>

I don’t recall seeing Diane Abbott in the ground.

2. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

To quote Jim Royal 7500 my arse.

3. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

Some things never change.

If the real attendance was about 5,000 then they have over-egged it by about 30%.
    If we're being generous let's call it 25%.

So this coming season we'll remember that a stated attendance of 14,000 is going to be closer to 10,000
    And an official figure of 18,000 will actually be more like 13,000.

Odd though, that the attendance today should be so inaccurate when there were no absentee season ticket holders to count in.
    Presumably the Club has just eased the figures up to minimise embarrassment.

4. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Okay, Villa are a league above us and I read somewhere have spent 110m in this window, so a defeat was never a suprise. Other teams in our mini league (Luton, Barnsley, Bristol Citt) also suffered nadty defeats. Thus far, no drama. But we have another injury, reports suggest we were weak all over the pitch, and they guy we all worried might be sold (Taylor) seems to have aquired a worrying lack of interest, when he really needs to up his game at a level he has never reached before. When you fzctor in RD having driven off any possible buyers, and his refussl to back Bowyer, this could be a long hard season. I've seen people saying that's part of being a Charlto fan. Maybe so but sparks fly, people get angry, and tge fans leave in droves.

5. lardiman

lardiman Keep smiling through
    Forum Moderator

This is not aimed at you Ken, but I have seen a lot made today of the "£100 million' or thereabouts that Aston Villa are supposed to have spent.

As I think DickPlumb pointed out somewhere earlier only two of Villa's new signings started in the game at the Valley today, and three came on as substitutes at various times in the second half.
    Granted they have a squad hugely more expensive than ours. And there is no disgrace in losing to them. But they weren't playing £100 million of fresh talent against us today.

6. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Villa spending £100m (including on Konsa) isn’t really relevant. It was the manner of how we played, particularly in the second half, and the complete lack of options that Bowyer has.

7. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Absolutely. At no time in the second half did you think "it's about time he brought so-and-so off the bench". There just wasn't anyone, although I did want to have a look at Bonne.

8. DickPlumb

DickPlumb Well-Known Member

Good luck to Aston Villa, a proper football Club. My son went to Uni in Birmingham and he had digs in Perry Barr just by Villa Park. I took the opportunity to watch Villa on a number of occasions and grew to like them. I think they will do well in the Premiership. I was very impressed with a chap called Ezri Konsa, he will go far.

9. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Never heard of this guy Ezri Konsa …. he came up through Brentford's youth set up.. didn't he?