1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chris Powell sacked today

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by User deleted as requested, Nov 4, 2015.

1. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Roland doesn't need all that bollocks- he's got Thomas Driesen.

2. User deleted as requested

User deleted as requested Well-Known Member

Meire's comments about Nicky Ajose just prove again how inept she is. Who else signs a player for £600,000 on the word of one person saying 'he scores lots of goals' <doh>

She admitted as much.

CAFC'sBestInterests likes this.
  3. ForestHillBilly

I had a look through Baton 2010's latest accounts, and it started with:

Board Members
    R. Duchatelet
    K Meire
    R Murray.

With those 3 wise monkeys at the helm you can only envisage failure.

4. CAFC'sBestInterests

CAFC'sBestInterests Well-Known Member

I think it's a forum thing. One site says 100% support, then another will inevitably say the opposite. We can all draw our own conclusions as to why this happens.<whistle>

Whether he's liked or not is unimportant. Chris Powell's name can go alongside Lennie Lawrence's & Alan Curbishley's, because they all ended up building better squads than the ones they inherited.

The real achievement is building a team we can be proud of, and the number of managers who join this exclusive Club is now officially very low.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  5. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever black or white (with the exception of the current regime). Powell did less well with Parky's squad than Parky did, but then built a champions squad without breaking the bank. The following season was wonderful, but let's remember we also ground out a boring few wins.
    After that, he balanced the team on an ever reducing shoe string. Roland came in when the squad was fairly thin, and CP was getting a fair amount of stick not just for results but also the cagey defensive minded way we played (remember Blackpool at home?). But Roland sacked him for not playing players who were utterly sub standard and CP stuck to his principals and played the better players.
    Overall, a decent enough manager who was starting to struggle, but who had one magnificent season, which will be one more than the current crowd are ever going to be capable of. He still retains the magic for me, but I will always prefer the memories to a second stint- there is always better out there.

6. User deleted as requested

7. CAFC'sBestInterests

They're the facts, but some still chose to blame CP for the consequences of the 'ever reducing shoe string', the 'thinning squad', and ultimately the 'sub standard players RD dumped on him & the quality players sold.

Agreed, I'm not one for a second stint, and there is always better out there, but sadly this is all irrelevant under a non footballing regime like ours.

8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Agreed, and one of the reasons I don't want to try the untested JJ at the momento. I'm fairly certain Chris Wilder would o have done as well with us as he has at Sheffield. As for KR, he has chosen the Murray path of being a regime stooge when we really only needed him to be manager. He has continued to tinker, and seems wedded to his diamond formation, which I foresee will be a problema as most teams will once again know exactly how we will set up, and can take steps to counter it.
    The worst thing about KR though is that Katerien backs him.

CAFC'sBestInterests likes this.
  9. User deleted as requested

Chris Wilder made an interesting point in the Sheff Utd programme when we played them recently. His priority when signing players for the Blades is for the fans to identify with them, and for them in turn to have an affinity for the shirt.

That is a real affinity, demonstrated by performances on the pitch, not the bogus social media sincerity you get from the likes of Watt, Bauer and Teixera.

10. User deleted as requested

Right on cue ....

IMG_1039.PNG

11. ForestHillBilly

The sacking of Powell was understandable at the time. Personally I'd got fed up with seeing the manager doing the tunnel jumps- they were for the players. The sacking of Jose Riga first time round to replace him with Millwall Bob was an act of supreme vandalism, appearing to be in revenge for not playing Driesen's wonder players like Coco, Nego and Parsley. The fans had taken to Riga, so had the staff and he had a genuine affinity for the club. He'd achieved good results too. Some say it was due to SCP's backroom team, but I don't care. If they all worked well together keep them together. The sacking looked to me like the act of an arrogant man, demonstrating that he could do whatever he wanted regardless.

Ken Shabby likes this.
  12. Miketyson2007

Miketyson2007 Well-Known Member

I never took to Riga his second stint proved he wasn't up to much thought Luzon unlucky to be sacked to be honest

13. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

Riga's second stint possibly prove he wasn't the messiah some thought. He just had the luxury of 4 games in hand the first time.

14. CAFC'sBestInterests

Agree, Thought it might have ended like it did for him after the QPR match, even though we won, there were signs that trouble could come our way if injuries had set in, and that's precisely what happened.
    KAG started that game, and he clearly wasn't up to it, Tony Watt was on the bench? I think Luzon was having trouble with him at the time, and looking at the bench & deeper, it didn't look like there was a lot of strength in depth.

Luzon wasn't the only victim of RD's "thin squad" but this period was one where a few more quality players really would've made a good difference, but all this pales into insignificance for RD, because he loves a thin squad as it forces a few more kids into the shop window.

15. ForestHillBilly

Maybe my memory is playing trickson me, but I remember Riga being very popular, virtually everyone was disappointed when he got sacked. This was before we had the benefit of seeing him fail second time around..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  16. User deleted as requested

Another set back today for Chris Powell's stalled managerial career. He made it to the final 2 for the Northampton Town job, but Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink got the nod over him.

I can see Powell getting another managerial job, but he may have to drop into League 2 or maybe the Conference.

17. SuperChrissyisfantasticPardswasatrocious

For a team needing an impact I'm not sure CP would be the man. If given time and more of a "project" then he can manage at this level comfortably.

Captain Addick likes this.
  18. Sat In Greenwich

Sat In Greenwich Well-Known Member

there's only 92 managerial jobs in the football league so not every ex pro will stay in football. i still believe he'll be back at charlton one day. he's earned another shot after what he did and what he got put through. only problem is that it will only come when we dont have the daftest c*nt to ever enter football owning us and his doormat CEO in charge.

deleted..... and lardiman like this.