1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Chinese Investor

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by hullborn, Sep 16, 2013.

1. The FRENCH TICKLER

The FRENCH TICKLER Well-Known Member

If we get a new stadium can the plans include putting the away fans up in the clouds just like @ Newcastle and Sunderland.

First though lets splash any cash on the team eh ? <whistle>

2. StrovolosTiger

StrovolosTiger Well-Known Member

They don't even have a smaller fanbase than us, but lets not forget Reg made those observations without thinking.

3. WSTiger

WSTiger Well-Known Member

Well said sound commonsense (but I am ambivalent re name change)

4. CANADATIGER

CANADATIGER Well-Known Member

Very well said as usual TT. The Allam's are well aware that we need major outside investment (probably from Asia) if we are to push on, dare I say it, to the next level..i.e a place in Europe. Our 100 year heritage is as important to me as anyone having been a faithful supporter for 65 years (and collected virtually every program for that period plus a stack of other memorabilia). But we have to keep the big picture in mind.

5. bum_chinned_crab

bum_chinned_crab Well-Known Member

For me, in that line you've just summed up being a glory supporter. I might as well support Man Utd as Hull / Melton Tigers, cos neither club means anything to me.

6. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

The arguments are gradually becoming very polarized. It doesn't matter how much you dislike the name change, or by what degree, if you will ultimately accept it then you are a 'For' and I respect your choice; it is the choice that opens the way for all manner of dilution and corruption of our clubs heritage (the history will always remain for those who want it).

The only way you can be in the 'Against' group is to say no to any change from Hull City AFC in relation to the club name and identity (forget the commercial name bullshit, that is old man Allem being manipulative and dishonest - something everyone should be wary of). There can be no disagreeing with caveats of qualification.

When (not if, IMO) the name changes,the football club I have supported ceases to exist. I would get behind a fledgling club that would represent the sporting spirit that I thought we held dear, but failing that I would return to the amateur game locally and lose the politics and bickering that this elusive success brings.

Cutting off my nose to spite my face? No, just an honest intent to respect the game I have played, been involved with and watched over the last 54 years - I can remember the lads knocking the ball between the lamp-posts when I was about 5yrs old. This sad ultra-commercial corruption of the teams identity is not necessary for us to have ambition, that is a fallacy perpetuated by a vindictive old man who does not have the first ideas about football.

Unfortunately I would have liked to have said he has no idea about the supporters, too, but he does, doesn't he? He has got the glory-hunters well weighed up.

7. Geo's Ice Cream Van

Geo's Ice Cream Van Well-Known Member

IF it all happens and supporters are that peed off, will we see an AFC Hull City formed as a non-league club?

8. Fez

Fez Well-Known Member

That's what I mean by a fledgling club.

9. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

Good idea in principle, but the club wouldn't do it - Boxing Day Vs Man Utd; the club will see it as their best chance possible to take some extra cash off bandwagoners*.

Plus, the club would have to probably give out some sort of 'goodie bag' to the kids to make them feel a 'part' of Hull City, otherwise the generation that are spoon-fed MOTD's glamorisation of the big teams will see it as more of a "Wow! It's Rooney!" type trip and it'll have been a wasted effort.

I can remember when I was little, used to go to 'Hull City summer soccer school' - we used to get a free ticket to go see City at BP at the end of it. Do the club still do that?

*By bandwagoners, I mean people who want to come just to see Man Utd play, not City fans who can only pick and choose their games due to finances before anyone jumps on my back :smiley:

10. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

AFCHULL - C'mon, lets keep it symmetrical!

We'll play in white with a red, blue and yellow trim and take the old Hull City nickname of 'The Ferrymen' purely to attract the sponsorship of P&O Ferries <magic> :laugh:

11. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

If Hull was represented by a team called Hull Tigers with a ground in Melton, Assam Allam in charge, but with huge investment from Chinese businessmen. If we were able to pay mega-millions to buy the best players, if we never finished outside the top 10, if we were regularly in Europe with average crowds of 40,000 + and every now and then we actually won something, I would be happy.

Frankly I can't understand anyone who doesn't want our club to be as successful as it can be (even if it involves change). It's like struggle and failure are familiar friends that some people don't want to lose.

12. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Surely, we've bypassed the generations which chose to support other teams, because they were more successful, whilst City languished at the bottom of the fourth tier.

If they don't have enough reason to come watch City now, when we're doing well, getting promoted & playing in the premier league, and without gimmicks, then they never will.

13. WSTiger

WSTiger Well-Known Member

Well said. Most of us hunger for success. I make us feel good. City win, higher up the table-result more serotonin in the brain. Hull Tigers win, move up the table exactly the same result-more serotonin. More investment, more wins same result-more serotonin. Whoaa I can feel it coming on pass me the downers quick!

14. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio Well-Known Member

Well, you're in for a shock.

15. Stuart Blampey

Stuart Blampey Well-Known Member

"The club was founded in 1912 as Swansea Town and joined the Football League in 1921."

(For the record, all time top crowd is 32,786 in an 1967 FA cup Fifth Round against Arsenal.)

16. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

17. Stuart Blampey

Why is relying on gates 'unrealistic' , unlike being funded by a sugardaddy???

18. Stuart Blampey

Principles trump success at all costs.

That's why we have anti doping legislation.

Remember Lance Armstrong ?

19. Craigo

Craigo Well-Known Member

&#8220;Politics man. If you're hanging on to a rising balloon, you're presented with a difficult decision: let go before it's too late, or hold on and keep getting higher. Posing the question, how long can you keep a grip on the rope?&#8221;

20. Steven Toast

Steven Toast Well-Known Member

Because there aren't enough of us. Our stadium seats just over 25,000 (which in the current economic climate we aren't looking like filling every week) and a sell out is also reliant on away fans selling out their ticket allocation to come here. Let's say for example that every game this season had a nailed on attendanceof 25,000, without fail. Let's also say that everybody who goes is an adult, so that's £35 a ticket (I know there's season tickets, concessions etc but for the sake of this, let's keep it simple). So, £35x 25,000 is £875,000 on tickets per match. If you multiply that by 19 (assuming that we have an unfortunate cup run with no home games at all), then you get £16.6m. Yes it's all simplistic and at a basic level, but I don't have a list of all our overheads to hand.

Now, that's a fair old amount, but don't forget that if there's no outside investment at all, that has to pay for ground maintenance, stadium rent, wages, transfer fees, agent fees, kit replacements, equipment, policing and a whole other shedload of things that aren't just one off payments. Now, we're boosted by the PL money, which you don't get all at once, but even with all that (plus the loan AA took out on his company which I have a feeling he'll want back - I'll happily stand corrected there), it still won't be enough for the club to run off it's own back. It's an astonishing indictment of the cost of modern football, but outside investment is, sadly, a necessary evil that at some point, we're going to have to face if we want to progress as a club.

It's got nothing to do with wanting to be like Man U or Chelsea, it's about seeing the club I started supporting at 3 years old flourishing in the world's best league. If somebody came along and said 'nope, not happening, we're staying in the Championship because that's the good old days', then I'd kick off. It's the aim of every football club to play at the best level they can; look at Ferriby. Do you think their fans miss the 'good old days' of the Northern Counties League? Of course not, they want to push as high as they can and their reward is taking on former football league clubs such as Stockport and Workington.